Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,650,217 times

Advertisements

I took a spin last weekend on my moto, I had a seminar to attend in Ojai, so made a three day trip of it.
i rode East Camino Cielo Road on top of the Santa Ynez Range, then dropped into Montecito to see how the 1% live, then over to Ojai, which is a very cute little town, very much worth your while.

Then up and over one of the planet's finest motorcycle roads, Hiway 33 over to the Cuyama Valley.

I camped there at an isolated campground with a very funky bar and grill, Reyes Creek Bar and Grill at Camp Scheideck, a great place, out on the deck as the inside is so full of cigarette smoke it is hard to enter, but great food and Firestone DBA, of course the smokers tend toward bad light beer.

I then poked around on some dirt roads, winding up at nearly 6,000 feet elevation.

My feeling that those who disparage this state need to get out of town and see some of it was reinforced by this grand empty landscape.

Someone on this forum said, "you can't eat scenery, well Au contraire, Californians spend more than $30 billion per year on outdoor recreation, making it one of California's most valuable economic sectors.

I took some pictures: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,970,134 times
Nice photos! It's funny how the red rock photos look so much like New Mexico, as well as some other shots in your album.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,840,721 times
Have you ever been to Cold Spring Tavern off San Marcos Pass Rd between Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez? That was originally built by a member of our family.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Nice photos! It's funny how the red rock photos look so much like New Mexico, as well as some other shots in your album.
You nailed it. California is so big, and has so many different landscapes, cultures etc that I tend to roll my eyes when anyone tries to generalize about the state. I think of that east Santa Barbara County North Ventura County as California's Nevada, great open spaces, few people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Have you ever been to Cold Spring Tavern off San Marcos Pass Rd between Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez? That was originally built by a member of our family.
Your family goes back a ways, I believe the tavern was built in 1865. Yes, we love the place. To eat there on a cold and rainy night in winter with the fireplace crackling, perhaps some wild pig for supper with a good redwine... very nice.

During the Zaca Fire of 2007 there was a great fear of the fire jumping into the Santa Ynez range, it is my understanding that all the buildings there were wrapped in fire resistant insulated blankets.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,448,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I've been to Cold Springs many times! Do they still have the outside pee troughs? Just north of the tavern is a group camp. We used to bring our handicapped clients down there for a week each summer. Each counselor would get 1 night away and Cold Springs was so close we could darn near crawl back to camp!

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 10-11-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,448,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I took a spin last weekend on my moto, I had a seminar to attend in Ojai, so made a three day trip of it.
i rode East Camino Cielo Road on top of the Santa Ynez Range, then dropped into Montecito to see how the 1% live, then over to Ojai, which is a very cute little town, very much worth your while.

Then up and over one of the planet's finest motorcycle roads, Hiway 33 over to the Cuyama Valley.

I camped there at an isolated campground with a very funky bar and grill, Reyes Creek Bar and Grill at Camp Scheideck, a great place, out on the deck as the inside is so full of cigarette smoke it is hard to enter, but great food and Firestone DBA, of course the smokers tend toward bad light beer.

I then poked around on some dirt roads, winding up at nearly 6,000 feet elevation.

My feeling that those who disparage this state need to get out of town and see some of it was reinforced by this grand empty landscape.

Someone on this forum said, "you can't eat scenery, well Au contraire, Californians spend more than $30 billion per year on outdoor recreation, making it one of California's most valuable economic sectors.

I took some pictures: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
we used to grab a case or 2 and head out from SLO. 1 of my favorite routes was going east on 166 out of Santa Maria. Stopping at "New Cayama" for some cheap "Buckhorn Beer". Then a little further east on 166 we would head north on Soda Lake Rd all the way to Hwy 58. Then head back west on 58 stopping at an old beer joint at Black Mountain and the best beer joint in the area at that time,The Santa Margarita Saloon. I cant believe how crazy I used to be!!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
then dropped into Montecito to see how the 1% live
how exactly do they live?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

17,615 posts, read 22,567,169 times
Very Nice bro.
Well Done.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
we used to grab a case or 2 and head out from SLO. 1 of my favorite routes was going east on 166 out of Santa Maria. Stopping at "New Cayama" for some cheap "Buckhorn Beer". Then a little further east on 166 we would head north on Soda Lake Rd all the way to Hwy 58. Then head back west on 58 stopping at an old beer joint at Black Mountain and the best beer joint in the area at that time,The Santa Margarita Saloon. I cant believe how crazy I used to be!!
The Buckhorn has been closed for years, sadly. It is for sale for a soft $475,000, could be your ticket back home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
how exactly do they live?
Gosh, you list it as home and you don't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Very Nice bro.
Well Done.

Merci Beaucoup. It was a good weekend to be out, warm but not hot, lots of motos and sportscars out and about.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,331,767 times
The Buckhorn ... definitely a few memories there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California