Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times

Advertisements

California Gov. Jerry Brown is vetoing legislation requiring police to obtain a court warrant to search the mobile phones of suspects at the time of any arrest. The Sunday veto means that when police arrest anybody in the Golden State, they may search that person’s mobile phone — which in the digital age likely means the contents of persons’ e-mail, call records, text messages, photos, banking activity, cloud-storage services, and even where the phone has traveled.

Calif. Governor Veto Allows Warrantless Cellphone Searches | Threat Level | Wired.com

Delete. Delete delete delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Moral of the story ... don't have a cell phone.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Moral of the story ... don't have a cell phone.
...or don't commit a crime!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
password protect your phone

Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...or don't commit a crime!

Yeah ... then there's that.

But, even if you don't commit a crime, are a person of interest or a suspect, you are subject to the violation of your 4th and 14th amendment rights.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
The far Left and its Governor Moonbeam types are supposed to be the guardian of our rights... riiiight?

Unless:

"Brown’s veto also shores up support with police unions and the Peace Officers Research Association of California, a police union that opposed the legislation and recently donated $38,900 to Brown’s campaign coffers. "

and

"In the last year alone, at least seven police unions donated more than $12,900 each to Brown. Those unions, including the California Association of Highway Patrolmen and the Sacramento County Deputy Sheriff’s Association, had given Brown more than $160,000 in combined contributions."

because

"That support would be key if Brown decides to seek a second term."

Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Password lock your phone people. Its a safety measure you should use always. You are more at risk of some thief using your personal info against you if you lose your phone than the police doing a warrantless search.

Besides that you can tell the PoPo to **** off and get a warrant if your phone is locked. Then they will need to brute force it open which brings their search into the light of day legally.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Password lock your phone people. Its a safety measure you should use always. You are more at risk of some thief using your personal info against you if you lose your phone than the police doing a warrantless search.

Besides that you can tell the PoPo to **** off and get a warrant if your phone is locked. Then they will need to brute force it open which brings their search into the light of day legally.
Dawg ... you sound mighty savvy regarding the police and legal precedents and limits and liabilities ... I am going to the post office today, as is my oft habit ... have mailings to get out ... gimme a couple more hints ... I want to narrow down my search of the various "photos" on the P.O. bulletin board ... see if I can guess which one is you ... I have a picture already in my mind, but you know, I want to get past the hanging, slobbery jowls and lower teeth protruding upwards out over the lips ... and, of course, the smashed nose and spiked collar ...

Crunchy Ted

Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Dawg ... you sound mighty savvy regarding the police and legal precedents and limits and liabilities ... I am going to the post office today, as is my oft habit ... have mailings to get out ... gimme a couple more hints ... I want to narrow down my search of the various "photos" on the P.O. bulletin board ... see if I can guess which one is you ... I have a picture already in my mind, but you know, I want to get past the hanging, slobbery jowls and lower teeth protruding upwards out over the lips ... and, of course, the smashed nose and spiked collar ...

Crunchy Ted
Having worked in law enforcement and private corporate security for many years before my current profession, I learned the biggest asset any citizen has is to be silent and lock everything down.

There are going to be people popping in to say that Law Enforcement can hot sink your smart phone around your security password. That is true but at that point it becomes a brute force search similar to busting down your door on a no knock warrant.

The nothing to hide crowd is full of crapola. I used to be in that camp but after observing many abuses my fellow LEO's and security colleagues committed I decidedly changed my mind.

Law enforcement has a job to do. Your job is to identify yourself and ask for counsel. Never ever ever talk to the police without representation.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Law enforcement has a job to do. Your job is to identify yourself and ask for counsel. Never ever ever talk to the police without representation.

Yep. No joke. Plenty stories. None of 'em good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California