Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by despisecaliforniapolitics View Post
Isn't the Staples Center(where the Lakers play) wasn't that 100 percent privately-funded? I read this in an article posted yesterday, it said "Virtually every new professional sports venue in the country receives some form of public financing. California historically has been unwilling to provide public financing, so Los Angeles has had to find a way to privately finance a stadium. Since the Raiders and Rams left Los Angeles 16 years ago, 22 NFL stadiums have opened and five others have undergone major renovations. Approximately 50 percent of the funds used on these stadiums were provided by public sources, according to Conventions, Sports & Leisure International." So is it the attitude, mentality, perspective of California residents or is it the California government rules, or both that make California like this?
Unless you assume tax-payer money SHOULD be to subsidize billionaires’ hobbies, you're asking the wrong question of the wrong people. The more logical question is: why are residents of those 22 other NFL markets so irresponsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Unless you assume tax-payer money SHOULD be to subsidize billionaires’ hobbies, you're asking the wrong question of the wrong people. The more logical question is: why are residents of those 22 other NFL markets so irresponsible?
I believe he is kinda asking that too

Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I believe he is kinda asking that too
If so, he should ask those 22 directly.

On a different note: anybody read this?

Bill Plaschke - latimes.com

Jackie Robinson's former UCLA teammate broke the color barrier in the NFL a year before Jackie did it for baseball. The Coliseum Commission demanded Kenny Washington be given the chance to play for the Rams as a condition of their move from Cleveland. Those who dismiss LA's role in the development of the NFL simply don't know their history.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
I hate how people in California are like "whats wrong with old stadiums?" because the owners don't like it and will not keep the team there if improvements are not made or a new stadium is not build

Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I'm not a FootballT*rd, don't give a rats a** about stadiums.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
I hate how people in California are like "whats wrong with old stadiums?" because the owners don't like it and will not keep the team there if improvements are not made or a new stadium is not build
Why any one cheers or cares about a corporation, or the employees of a corporation in any endeavor is beyond my kin.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Because subsidizing a billionaire to let men play 8 times a year in a colosseum is not wise money. Most people don't care about Football. They easily understand it when you plug in some hobby they don't like. How about we give tax money to a private lake to pilot small blow boats or money to a piece of land to fly kites? 800 million for a skate park, a giant velodrome, the list is endless.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Because subsidizing a billionaire to let men play 8 times a year in a colosseum is not wise money. Most people don't care about Football. They easily understand it when you plug in some hobby they don't like. How about we give tax money to a private lake to pilot small blow boats or money to a piece of land to fly kites? 800 million for a skate park, a giant velodrome, the list is endless.
they care about Basketball i'm guessing that is why it was so easy for L.A. to build the Staples Center

Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
So what? You fail to explain the down side in all of this.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:45 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California