U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM
 
7,151 posts, read 4,164,405 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Id like to narrow it down to a certain number of people, say 10.

2-3 thousand heads is just too many for me to keep abreast of all the time. I think you more than most, can feel me.
Heh ... if you haven't caught my obsession with Dunbar's Number before, allow me to repeat the link for the 1000th time:
Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What you say is literally well founded in physiology and anthropological science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,950 posts, read 31,880,508 times
Reputation: 10585
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Heh ... if you haven't caught my obsession with Dunbar's Number before, allow me to repeat the link for the 1000th time:
Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What you say is literally well founded in physiology and anthropological science.
WOW...that is beyond fascinating.

+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 PM
 
7,151 posts, read 4,164,405 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
WOW...that is beyond fascinating.

+1
Ain't it though?! One of my sisters clearly has a much higher Dunbar quotient than I ... she seems to be lice-picking close to hundreds of people ... I am probably not over about 12 ... I assume that is at least partially due to me being brain-damaged

And this is curiously relevant to this thread, I think. Think about the value to understanding the reality of Dunbar's Number in our community and national and even international attitudes. We can individually pursue deeply loving relationships, such as our Mr. Pardo has, and appreciate that others have the potential to do the same -- even though we can't share that depth with an unlimited number of other people ... we can find respect for others by extrapolation ... just because we don't feel depth for every Tom, Dick, and Harriet doesn't mean they aren't worthy, sentient beings. Understanding that the human animal is limited by design as to how broadly s/he can care for others explains that our lack of feeling for others does not mean they are unworthy beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
34 posts, read 46,663 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
What is your full potential? Do you think you can achieve it without becoming weathly, famous, or climbing the corporate latter? And more importantly how can you assume that the man in the story didn't achieve his full potential? Your judgements are merely based on career achievements. The is a very shallow metric when you consider other more important factors like his relationship with his wife and family.

Do you know how many wealthy professionals are lonely and miserable or how few people ever establish a successful long-term relationship with anyone? The most important things in life can allude you in persuit of other seemingly more important things. That's the moral of the story. Nothing wrong with having goals and being successful in your career. But a person's true potential and success cannot be defined by his bank account or professional accolades. Those are merely lipstick on a pig. He who dies with the most toys is still dead. What will your legacy be? And will you love and be loved? These are the things which money cannot buy.

Derek
Where, in any of my posts have I said anything about 'climbing the corporate ladder'? Actually, in my prospective field there IS no corporate ladder to climb...

My dream is to see the world, perhaps start a family and give them a better life than I had, free of insurmountable debt and heavy financial burdens and to help as many people through my work as I can. That, is my idea of my full potential and you can't do that on pennies a day. I'd like not to have my family cramped in a tiny one or two bedroom apartment in rags because money isn't everything and hey, love is enough right?

Can I achieve full potential without money? The short answer is no. But again, you're acting like I said my dream is to become Mrs. Moneypenny and buy the world. I'd like to be comfortable. It's weird, you're acting like there's something unsavory about wanting or achieving success. When did that become such a bad thing?

Yes there are miserable wealthy people but I don't care because I don't aspire to BE wealthy, just comfortable. And while there are lonely and depressed rich folk, let's not pretend every poor person is having the time of their lives.

I'm glad that you (and the some of the others in this thread) would be (or are) content with...well, what, I don't know actually. Living on love I guess? Smacks of cognitive dissonance to me, but I don't know you all so I can't say that's what it is.

Last edited by urbanr0cker; 10-22-2011 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
8,915 posts, read 11,792,410 times
Reputation: 6485
I would think Mr. Pardo's mind would be blown if he knew how much we've picked apart his simple life.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, the Washington state forums, & Co-Mod for the North Dakota forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Monterey County, CA
3,669 posts, read 6,856,169 times
Reputation: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanr0cker View Post
Where, in any of my posts have I said anything about 'climbing the corporate ladder'? Actually, in my prospective field there IS no corporate ladder to climb...

My dream is to see the world, perhaps start a family and give them a better life than I had, free of insurmountable debt and heavy financial burdens and to help as many people through my work as I can. That, is my idea of my full potential and you can't do that on pennies a day. I'd like not to have my family cramped in a tiny one or two bedroom apartment in rags because money isn't everything and hey, love is enough right?

Can I achieve full potential without money? The short answer is no. But again, you're acting like I said my dream is to become Mrs. Moneypenny and buy the world. I'd like to be comfortable. It's weird, you're acting like there's something unsavory about wanting or achieving success. When did that become such a bad thing?

Yes there are miserable wealthy people but I don't care because I don't aspire to BE wealthy, just comfortable. And while there are lonely and depressed rich folk, let's not pretend like every poor person is having the time of their lives.

I'm glad that you (and the some of the others in this thread) would be (or are) content with...well, what, I don't know actually. Living on love I guess? Smacks of cognitive dissonance to me, but I don't know you all so I can't say that's what it is.
Well, you're original post came across much different indicating that would commit suicide if you had to live like the man in the story. Maybe that's really the way you think or you said it kinda flippently without much thought. I don't really know. And you are right, you don't know the people on this forum as we really don't know you, only your words. And they reflected disdain for this man's life because he lacked some form of success in your eyes. That is what we addressed. Beyond that its up to you to decide what success means for you. For Madona its a material world and she's a material girl. Different strokes for different folks. Just be careful before judging the elevator man, trash man, auto mechanic, etc... as losers because they represent the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum.

And for the record, I work for a Fortune 500 company as corporate manager. So I speak from experience seeing things from both sides of the fence. I've also been married for 21 years and we're still enjoying life together. This is not to boast, but rather to give you some perspective. You may learn a thing or two from us older guys/gals who have experienced different forms of success in life. No one is saying you have to be poor to be happy. But money itself does not define true success in life - bottom line. And the the gentleman in the story was a great case in point. He was poor yet rich in all things important. Most rock stars don't even attain that level of success. Many end up strung out on drugs, roaming from broken relationship to relationship or even dead before their time whether they Made it Big or not.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-22-2011 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Monterey County, CA
3,669 posts, read 6,856,169 times
Reputation: 3163
Another song I really like which sums these things up pretty well is Nature Boy:


Nature Boy - Nat King Cole - YouTube

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
5,336 posts, read 3,638,888 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanr0cker View Post
Where, in any of my posts have I said anything about 'climbing the corporate ladder'? Actually, in my prospective field there IS no corporate ladder to climb...

My dream is to see the world, perhaps start a family and give them a better life than I had, free of insurmountable debt and heavy financial burdens and to help as many people through my work as I can. That, is my idea of my full potential and you can't do that on pennies a day. I'd like not to have my family cramped in a tiny one or two bedroom apartment in rags because money isn't everything and hey, love is enough right?

Can I achieve full potential without money? The short answer is no. But again, you're acting like I said my dream is to become Mrs. Moneypenny and buy the world. I'd like to be comfortable. It's weird, you're acting like there's something unsavory about wanting or achieving success. When did that become such a bad thing?

Yes there are miserable wealthy people but I don't care because I don't aspire to BE wealthy, just comfortable. And while there are lonely and depressed rich folk, let's not pretend every poor person is having the time of their lives.

I'm glad that you (and the some of the others in this thread) would be (or are) content with...well, what, I don't know actually. Living on love I guess? Smacks of cognitive dissonance to me, but I don't know you all so I can't say that's what it is.
I think you may be surprised as to what the people in this thread may have "attained" or how successful they are. Really, through your words I can see my own past, but time moves quickly and thoughts change like the seasons from personal aspirations to those of the true meaning of life. Savoring and appreciating life and those you love will become far more important to you than your own personal potential. You mentioned starting a family and the desire to make a good life for them. All worthy goals and I would encourage you to do so, however at some point the light will go on very brightly and your perspective will change. That could be at the death of a parent, the birth of a child, or some other profound event where you will realize what is truly important in this life. As for now, you are young, I know that much about you, goals are indeed a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
5,336 posts, read 3,638,888 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Id like to narrow it down to a certain number of people, say 10.

2-3 thousand heads is just too many for me to keep abreast of all the time. I think you more than most, can feel me.

I hear ya....
I like that Dunbars number theory. Ive always had my own theory on that. Of course, only founded on my own experience. This one is better though, because, clearly there are those among us with much higher numbers than me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 AM
 
298 posts, read 301,218 times
Reputation: 219
How can one know if one has reached one's full potential, when potential changes every day (hopefully if you're living an engaged existence)?

In the end we must die, so I guess that's the full potential. Life's a zero-sum game. Life is setting off on a sea voyage in a ship that is guaranteed to go down at an unknown future time.

My full potential would include weaving together half a dozen or so disparate interests in my life that I feel strongly about, into one unique chord, that resonates my essence, and being able to play that chord as a matter of existence.

But I'm also quite thankful to have so many privileges that a large majority of people in the world don't have, and there's really no reason of virtue why I should have them and others should not. Therefore it's better to include "living in peace" as a central part of my potential, and as I get that sorted, trying to do at least something that will bring benefit, enlightenment or good use to other less fortunate people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top