U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM

3,718 posts, read 7,106,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to politicize the topic. What rubs me the wrong way is that it's frustrating enough that on one hand, you're working to achieve your highest potential, and on the other hand, political forces conspire to take more of it away and keep you under their thumb. And on top of that, people take this article and use it to propagandize the idea that we don't really need all that material stuff. End result: either we continue to work harder for less benefit to ourselves, or we give up and cruise the Metro bus all day.
No problem, I think its fine to express differing views. Most of us have here and still manage to get along, for the most part anyway.

What the OP brings in the midst of this mess is perspective and an attitude adjustment. I'm certainly not selling everything and riding my skateboard to work. But every day, week, month and year there are small and larger decisions one makes which direct the course of his/her life. And that course can sometimes draw us nearer or further away from the one's we care about most. Possessions in themsleves aren't bad. They are simply inanimate objects. It's more about how we strive for them in our pursuit of the what we deem as success.

I know for me its a balancing act rather than one exteme or the other - between a simpler life and more time with family vs. striving to reach for the top at all costs. For others it may be a more drastic downsizing like selling most of their possessions and deciding to live on a boat for example. And sometimes this happens out of necessity due to job loss or other causes.

The biggest paradigm shift for most Californians is in viewing this man's life achievement as a success. He certainly doesn't care and is happy. But for many this simpler life flies in the face of all they are striving for currently. So it just doesn't seem right. That's where we question the measurement of true potential and success in life. And in the end what will really count when its all been said and done? Certainly its not the lesser things such as politics or possessions, though those things have their place in our lives.

The idea of living a simpler life transcends political lines. Its really an apolitical concept having more to do with one's outlook or philosophy on the things which matter most. For example you'll have bohemian liberals living off the grid as much as you'll have conservative monks taking a vow of poverty. And again for others its a matter of degrees, not necessarily either extreme. But as nullgeo pointed out it is easy to lose sight of the things most important while pursuing those which seem good. This is also more pronounced in CA than in other states due at least in part to the higher cost of living. I noticed this difference in the overall populous while living in CO.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-22-2011 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,442,964 times
Auth
By Tony Auth

Think about it -- life is simpler than we live it

Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,442,964 times
Default for any Keb Mo fans

Keb Mo - Everything I need - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojA2igO6iDs

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM

5,772 posts, read 7,327,349 times
Quote:
...But my reason was, I left the Christys searching for a deeper meaning to life. I had done years on the road, I'd performed at the White House. I saw all this opulence and wealth. People that were so famous, Elvis Presley, Sammy Davis Jr., people that I knew, some of 'em I performed with. And none of 'em were happy. I felt, why should I spend my life trying to get like them? Frank Sinatra one time, he's got his head against the wall, he's got a drink in his left hand, he's punching the wall with his right hand, and he's saying, "I'm bored, I'm bored, BORED, BORED." I said, well, he's Chairman of the Board, I guess. And I said, why do I want to spend my life getting like that?
Taken from an interview with Barry McGuire
Complete text below
Barry McGuire Interview

Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 AM

3,718 posts, read 7,106,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Uh oh ...

Jokes aside, though ... just want to make sure I've made myself clear: I understand why most folks don't live the way I do ... or the way Reuben Pardo does, either. I am not on a mission to promote alternative lifestyles. I do, however, feel motivated to speak from the heart about matters of the heart ... let individuals take thoughts away from conversation as they will -- and do with their thoughts as they will. The most vital, rewarding essences of life are much simpler than we live it in this country today.

In your case Derek, I must say that anyone with your eye for beauty, as demonstrated by your photography, is certain to find a number of alternatives to corporate identity. There are about a bazillion hopeful photographers out there dreaming of being professionals. While I'd say you have a leg up on many, the competition is so great I'd never assume that you could quit your job and support your family with pictures ... but I wouldn't assume you couldn't either. And I don't just mean your photographic technique ability. What comes across in your photography comes from an appreciation of the spirit in nature that is very deep. That you do so much of it in company of your family speaks volumes. Because of this affinity you have for natural beauty, and the appreciation you have for your family, I am sure, in any case, that you can find all the depth in life you aspire to even remaining in the corporate world you are in now.
Pullin' up a bit older post just to thank nullgeo for the nudge in the right direction. I pulled the plug on the corporate management gig. Talked to my manager about getting back to what I enjoy doing - writing software. I think he and the other managers (my peers) were a bit surprised to say the least. But long story short its happening. So you won't have to put me up yet at your place. Its great to know my family supports me 100% in my decision to simplify things a bit. Anyway life goes on.

Derek

Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM

14,997 posts, read 7,295,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Pullin' up a bit older post just to thank nullgeo for the nudge in the right direction. I pulled the plug on the corporate management gig. Talked to my manager about getting back to what I enjoy doing - writing software. I think he and the other managers (my peers) were a bit surprised to say the least. But long story short its happening. So you won't have to put me up yet at your place. Its great to know my family supports me 100% in my decision to simplify things a bit. Anyway life goes on.

Derek
Good for you! Life is too short to be caught up in the corporate rat race. Your kids need to have their dad with them, especially when they're still young. I'm not at all surprised that they support you 100% in your decision to pull the plug on the corporate management gig. Congratulations!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

12,016 posts, read 13,547,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I've said it before, and here it is again.

I learned all this the hard way: The more you own, the more you groan, the more you crave, the more you are a slave, the less you need, the more you are FREED.

Don't define yourself by your possessions,not any of 'em, not your clothes, not your car, none of 'em.
Owning stuff sucks.
Buddha recognized that to be true 2500 years ago....

Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM

14,615 posts, read 12,577,517 times
Quote:
What is your full potential? Do you think you can achieve it without becoming weathly, famous, or climbing the corporate latter? And more importantly how can you assume that the man in the story didn't achieve his full potential? Your judgements are merely based on career achievements. The is a very shallow metric when you consider other more important factors like his relationship with his wife and family.

Do you know how many wealthy professionals are lonely and miserable or how few people ever establish a successful long-term relationship with anyone? The most important things in life can elude you in persuit of other seemingly more important things. That's the moral of the story. Nothing wrong with having goals and being successful in your career. But a person's true potential and success cannot be defined by his bank account or professional accolades. Those are merely lipstick on a pig. He who dies with the most toys is still dead. What will your legacy be? And will you love and be loved? These are the things which money cannot buy.

Derek
+1

Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM

14,615 posts, read 12,577,517 times
Quote:
The idea of living a simpler life transcends political lines. Its really an apolitical concept having more to do with one's outlook or philosophy on the things which matter most. For example you'll have bohemian liberals living off the grid as much as you'll have conservative monks taking a vow of poverty. And again for others its a matter of degrees, not necessarily either extreme. But as nullgeo pointed out it is easy to lose sight of the things most important while pursuing those which seem good. This is also more pronounced in CA than in other states due at least in part to the higher cost of living. I noticed this difference in the overall populace while living in CO.

Derek
The entire post was great, but this last paragraph was particularly good.

+1

Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,068,825 times
Quote:

Derek

Ah, down the rabbit hole we go..

Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread.. What a wonderful read..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California