Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Our comforting Sun has sprung up over the top of King Mountain.

http://bestsmileys.com/sun/4.gif (broken link)

We are very fortunate to live on this beautiful, forested mountain, in peace, harmony, & tranquility...

Last edited by Hawk J; 10-16-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Although I dislike Jane Fonda immensely, most mornings the thought comes stealing in of On Golden Pond. At first dawn each morning (BMNT for you military types), which is usually when I wake up and get up, I look out my front windows or from the front deck at a lake turned golden by the barely rising sun.

With that sight first thing, how can you not look forward to the promise a new day holds for you?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
This reminds me....on the weekends here (and I imagine much of California) you find the parks filled with Hispanic families having, what looks like, a good time for basically nothing. In contrast you drive to the malls, etc and find your typical middle-class families shopping and spending a bunch of money (often that they don't really have)....and generally not looking all that happy.

And oddly.....people work, work, work to have money for the latter? Strange world.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:43 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This reminds me....on the weekends here (and I imagine much of California) you find the parks filled with Hispanic families having, what looks like, a good time for basically nothing. In contrast you drive to the malls, etc and find your typical middle-class families shopping and spending a bunch of money (often that they don't really have)....and generally not looking all that happy.

And oddly.....people work, work, work to have money for the latter? Strange world.
This is something which I think about also as I work my job and reflect on 21 years of marriage. I think about how little we had when first married and yet how happy we both were together. Now that we have more it has really not bought us any more happiness, creature comforts sure, but happiness no. The two are definately not interconnected.

I also observe many ppl working crazy long hours, weekends, etc... admitted workaholics, who are not very happy at all. The trap of chasing the golden carrot becomes all consuming, especially in American society.

Derek

Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
I married my teenage sweetheart. She was there for me with a baby girl when I came back from war. Over 30 years of struggle, we had three more children. It was a life of risky small entrepreneurship for me and uncertainty for wife and kids. But, good lord, we had fun! That wonderful woman died in my arms, literally. Her last words were "I love you". Then I had to sit with my children, three of whom were elementary through high school age, and tell them their mother was gone. I quit my self-employment and took a medical pension that had been available to me from the service for the whole 30 years. I just focused on finishing the job of raising the kids and remodeling the home and building another couple rentals. We have all gone on and found ways to smile and laugh again. I have even remarried. Money? Meaningless. I let all the businesses go.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:37 PM

296 posts, read 614,327 times
This thread is like sitting out around a campfire in the desert. Nice.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
I've said it before, and here it is again.

I learned all this the hard way: The more you own, the more you groan, the more you crave, the more you are a slave, the less you need, the more you are FREED.

Don't define yourself by your possessions,not any of 'em, not your clothes, not your car, none of 'em.
Owning stuff sucks.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, you didn't get it.
^

Old 10-16-2011, 03:59 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I married my teenage sweetheart. She was there for me with a baby girl when I came back from war. Over 30 years of struggle, we had three more children. It was a life of risky small entrepreneurship for me and uncertainty for wife and kids. But, good lord, we had fun! That wonderful woman died in my arms, literally. Her last words were "I love you". Then I had to sit with my children, three of whom were elementary through high school age, and tell them their mother was gone. I quit my self-employment and took a medical pension that had been available to me from the service for the whole 30 years. I just focused on finishing the job of raising the kids and remodeling the home and building another couple rentals. We have all gone on and found ways to smile and laugh again. I have even remarried. Money? Meaningless. I let all the businesses go.
This is a beautiful story of a full, rich life of love which I hope or my wife or I can tell some day as well. Thank you for sharing it.

Derek

Old 10-16-2011, 06:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
I don't get it. Whats the moral of the story? That we can be happy with nothing? Then I guess there is nothing wrong with letting the thieving Sacramento politicians stymie our success with all their laws, fees, and bureaus. And likewise be happy with the pittance that we have left in our paychecks after the leeches steal our hard-earned dollars in the name of compassion and "we are all in this together".

Not me. I won't be happy until me and my kids can prosper as was intended by the smart men who founded this country. And those who stand in the way (mostly Dems) should be run over.
Yeah, let's just be happy... eat junk food and support IHOP and Dennys corporations who sell something I wouldn't feed to a dog--to people... let's be GRATEFUL that the wealthy allow us to ride the bus on Sundays and work minimum wage jobs. Let's thank the Walmart for existing! And the TV stations for broadcasting the programs, like "American Idol" or the one about the rich housewives and thoughtful truthful news! Those who can't be happy with what they're given... like a little nasty apartment next to the oil refinery and early death from cardiovascular problems or cancer caused by the pollution from the said refinery...they be damned. God wants them to be grateful.

I don't care for material things--I'm a software engineer and could live comfy life in Bay area accumulating money if I wanted to--selling out to corporations or being a slave in their machine--I don't believe that many material things are necessary to be happy... except the forest and mountains, a sleeping bag and some shelter, a gun and own animal-- but being content with being a slave, trapped in the toxic little cage, catering to the rich puppetmasters, their faithful "consumer"... the milk cow... no thank you.

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-16-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California