Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times

Advertisements

I read an article that said the FOREIGN BORN POPULATION of California is now at 32%, the highest in the nation. (Compared with 1.1% in West Virginia, the lowest in the Nation)

When they use the term "United States of America" I think of this incredible figure- how can two US States be so different and how unique it must be to be living in California if you were used to a place like West Virginia!

Here is my question: If 32% of the population of California were not born in America what would the figure be if you included the foreign born resident's children? The first generation children of the foreign born residents may be US Citizens but they have a unique link to the country and culture of their parents birth.

I would suspect that maybe 50% of California are either first or second generation immigrants which is just a shocking figure and must have an incredible impact on the culture, language and economy of the State!

(I am not making a value judgment if this is good or bad but instead are just curious what the stats are for both first and second generation immigrants as a percent of the total population)

Last edited by Workaholic?; 10-17-2011 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
You are all foreigners ... please leave immediately.
-- Ishi

Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
According to the Pew Hispanic Center, about 11,493,000 of those are from Mexico. Welcome to Mexifornia. Ole!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
According to the Pew Hispanic Center, about 11,493,000 of those are from Mexico. Welcome to Mexifornia. Ole!
I'll take legal or illegal Mexicans over a bunch of intolerant white people any day. Besides, most Mexican food is delicious.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I'll take legal or illegal Mexicans over a bunch of intolerant white people any day. Besides, most Mexican food is delicious.
The food is, indeed, delicious when prepared well. As for the rest, I'd rather live in America!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
terk are jerbs!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:

Mexican food is good, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are tolerant. The neighbourhood I live in has been ethnically Portuguese and Russian since it was subdivided around 1915. Mexicans, legal and illegal, have been moving in during the last ten years. There are a fair share of them who have plenty to say about Russians.

Then there is MEChA and La Raza.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Mexican food is good, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are tolerant. The neighbourhood I live in has been ethnically Portuguese and Russian since it was subdivided around 1915. Mexicans, legal and illegal, have been moving in during the last ten years. There are a fair share of them who have plenty to say about Russians.

Then there is MEChA and La Raza.
Yeah? But then, who doesn't?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Intolerant is another word for people who would like the laws upheld in order to have sustainable and healthy legal immigration. They are intolerant in so much as they stand for something other than liberal knee jerk do whatever you want statements that fail to appreciate consequences... and well, you are getting that .. Stay in California and enjoy exactly what you ask for...

The rest are moving up and out ... to places that still offer access to the American dream w/o slaving ..

Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I read an article that said the FOREIGN BORN POPULATION of California is now at 32%, the highest in the nation. (Compared with 1.1% in West Virginia, the lowest in the Nation)

When they use the term "United States of America" I think of this incredible figure- how can two US States be so different and how unique it must be to be living in California if you were used to a place like West Virginia!

Here is my question: If 32% of the population of California were not born in America what would the figure be if you included the foreign born resident's children? The first generation children of the foreign born residents may be US Citizens but they have a unique link to the country and culture of their parents birth.

I would suspect that maybe 50% of California are either first or second generation immigrants which is just a shocking figure and must have an incredible impact on the culture, language and economy of the State!

(I am not making a value judgment if this is good or bad but instead are just curious what the stats are for both first and second generation immigrants as a percent of the total population)
This is no surprise.. This is a combination of illegal immigration and unneeded legal immigration through the abused H1B-Visa programs. It has very bad consequences if you are not from these dominant groups that are immigrating here... according to the population #'s , people not from the groups understand this and are moving out, .. It's a big country.. More than enough space for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California