U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM

21,837 posts, read 27,239,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I've read about the secessionist violence in the early '70s in Quebec, and it was NOWHERE near as bad as the '92 L.A. riots for example. It seemed bad because Canada was not used to that level of violence. In the US, however, it would have been considered minor compared to what was going on in many cities at the time.
Exactly. There was some violence and I am quite familiar with the events (my father was involved - on the law enforcement side) but the person who said Canada was on the verge of civil war was wrong.

Canada has never been on the verge of civil war since its Confederation came into existence in 1867. Even the Quebec independence referendums of 1980 and 1995 took place without social unrest.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
There were some cranky sovereigntists ... but they never came close to really separating.
Well, they did come pretty close in 1995. The Oui (Yes) side in the Quebec referendum that year got something like 49.46%.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,401,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, they did come pretty close in 1995. The Oui (Yes) side in the Quebec referendum that year got something like 49.46%.
Trust the separatists to vote for wee!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,080,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I don't see any of that as a solution to the current dilemma.
Illegal labor is here, the economy of the state is dependent upon it.
What the rabid antis don't seem to have, is any idea what will replace it.
Boyz from da hood. Seriously. They are in the hood, because they don't have work.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,780,374 times
Quote:
Quebec, yes ... Canada, no .. do you really think they would have been allowed to separate? Nah, was never going to happen.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,526,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Do you like California's diversity?

I'm 18, NorCal born and bred, and have been most of everywhere in my state. However, I've only spent a few days in Southern California and that wasn't much so I hope to get down there more often. I'm of mixed Chinese-Irish heritage but look more Asian. My background is pretty mixed. I live an hour north of SF and my city has a large Hispanic population, but not a whole lot of Asians despite it being only 45 minutes north of San Francisco.

So question is, don't you love CA's diversity? Many people are not fond of the rapidly growing Hispanic population which people accuse of many being the stem of illegal immigrants and anchor babies. There are some elementary schools in my city that 95% Hispanic. Believe it or not, 51% of CA's public school students are Latino. I just love CA's diversity. Many Chinese people in SF, many Mexicans and Central Americans that speak Spanish everywhere, many Vietnamese and Chinese in Silicon Valley, plenty of Koreans, Armenians, Middle Easterners in LA, and Filipinos in many cities, etc. Pacific Islanders in various cities. It's just that we got it all.

You can find pretty much any type of ethnic restaurant in the state, or in a single metropolis, in the state of California. Depending on where you go, you can hear a variety of different languages from all over the world. It's just great.
95% hispanic is NOT diversity.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Quebec, yes ... Canada, no .. do you really think they would have been allowed to separate? Nah, was never going to happen.
Yes, they would have separated. I don't know what you are basing your comments on...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,882,784 times
California is 'diverse' and segregated .... I don't really find this to be a pleasurable form of diversity.
The mexicans don't assimilate at all and stick w/ their own.
The Asians stay among Asians and your 'trophy' whites.
The whites live in clusters ..
The blacks live in clusters..

In norcal...
The educated working class elites stay in the 'bay area'... the servants stay in eastbay...
Lots of 1st and 2nd gens who stick their nose up at others...
Food is good though .. great diversity of food offerings..

I have a good diversity of friends but mainly from my university.. the local 'diversity' seems to be on some other 'ish.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,882,784 times
Quote:
Yes, they would have separated. I don't know what you are basing your comments on...
Just came back from a trip to Toronto .. Nice place.. lots of diversity ..
Crazy amounts of construction.... Those guys are heading into a property bubble... Like the fact that they have a point system for immigration and don't allow any old idiots in their country ....

Since 1970, America's largest source of immigrants has been Latin America, especially Mexico. More than half of these Latino immigrants lack a high school diploma.

Compare the U.S. experience with Canada's. More than half of all immigrants to Canada possess a university degree. Half of all Canada's Ph.D.s are foreign-born.

Why does America choose poorly educated immigrants? The short answer: America does not choose them. They choose themselves.

"In the last decade, half of all the immigrants to the United States arrived illegally. Even many of the legal arrivals gained entry courtesy of relatives who originally slipped into the country against the law, then somehow regularized themselves.

By contrast, Canada (a country of 1/10 the U.S. population that takes proportionately many more immigrants than the United States) allows almost no illegal immigration.

The result: While immigration has enhanced the average skill level of the Canadian population, it has detracted from the average skill level of the U.S. population."

Amazing .. You can tell the difference in quality in just a day of moving around.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,080,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Just came back from a trip to Toronto .. Nice place.. lots of diversity ..
Crazy amounts of construction.... Those guys are heading into a property bubble... Like the fact that they have a point system for immigration and don't allow any old idiots in their country ....

Since 1970, America's largest source of immigrants has been Latin America, especially Mexico. More than half of these Latino immigrants lack a high school diploma.

Compare the U.S. experience with Canada's. More than half of all immigrants to Canada possess a university degree. Half of all Canada's Ph.D.s are foreign-born.

Why does America choose poorly educated immigrants? The short answer: America does not choose them. They choose themselves.

"In the last decade, half of all the immigrants to the United States arrived illegally. Even many of the legal arrivals gained entry courtesy of relatives who originally slipped into the country against the law, then somehow regularized themselves.

By contrast, Canada (a country of 1/10 the U.S. population that takes proportionately many more immigrants than the United States) allows almost no illegal immigration.

The result: While immigration has enhanced the average skill level of the Canadian population, it has detracted from the average skill level of the U.S. population."

Amazing .. You can tell the difference in quality in just a day of moving around.
It is not tax advantaged in the US to invest in serious automation and advanced tooling. That makes the path of least resistance cheap imported labor. It's schizoid, on the one hand we are among the advanced nations on the other we are a Banana Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or