U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:36 PM

24,948 posts, read 15,544,049 times
Well obviously California and Mexico have had a history since before day 1 so I'm always kind of amused by people thinking this is a new thing. Any border state is going to be like this.

Where I live "diversity" is mostly Asians and folks from India. SoCal has a lot more Hispanics.

Do I like it? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM

8,069 posts, read 5,959,558 times
Yep. I love it

Makes for an awesome dating pool, among other bonuses...

Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 PM

1,570 posts, read 826,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
[/b]

Yeah, I can believe it............Californiastan.........looking more and more like a 3rd word country.............that is one of the reasons I left.
...Not sure if in on joke. You realize (I hope, since you lived here) that it's always been San Jose, because before California was part of the U.S, it was part of Mexico, and before that it was part of Spain...

Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 PM

1,568 posts, read 597,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
That is what the Mexicans who left California after the American invasion said.
Are you suggesting Mexico deserves to have it handed back to them?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,357,878 times
Quote:
Look up the definition of "irony" Mariano was a Mexican, He was speaking of the Americans who invaded a sovereign nation and occupied half of it.
Hmm...one could say that the aboriginal Californians weren't too thrilled to see the Spanish or Mexican Criolos (who became the 6,000 "Californios" - like Vallejo) invading their sovereign nations either.

North America was up for grabs back then. Borders shifted - Dutch, French, British, Spanish, Mexicans and Americans all vying for the same plots of land. Mexico once laid claim to all of Central America down to Panama (for a handful of years as the first Mexican Empire after the Spanish were kicked out). Using the "We stole California from them" argument as an excuse for the "reconquista" movement one could say they still have a right to Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica as well.

Grievances from the colonial period over 150 years ago don't hold much water now. Its been part of the US longer than the Spanish and Mexican rules combined. In other words, that was then, this is now.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM

9,635 posts, read 10,414,293 times
Quote:
That is what Mariano Vallejo said.
Yeah and I'm pretty sure many of the Indian Chief's felt the same way as the white man took over thier contry but it doesn't mean I can't feel that way too I didn't take over anyones country.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,946,420 times
You know, I'd swear this was a troll thread if the OP hadn't declared [herself] to be an 18-year-old female of Chinese-Irish heritage that looks more Asian ... and then continues to interject racially charged comments that are wrapped in her "love" of diversity, but which really point to inflammatory territory. No, couldn't be. Most 18-year-olds write the way [she] does on subjects like this out of the blue. Silly me

Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,074,214 times
Quote:
Yeah and I'm pretty sure many of the Indian Chief's felt the same way as the white man took over thier contry but it doesn't mean I can't feel that way too I didn't take over anyones country.

Quote:
Hmm...one could say that the aboriginal Californians weren't too thrilled to see the Spanish or Mexican Criolos (who became the 6,000 "Californios" - like Vallejo) invading their sovereign nations either.
Ya'll reinforced my point very well, thank you.

Actually, many of the aboriginal Californians were thrilled to see the Mexicans (very few Peninsulares aside from the Padres settled in California) settle into being Californios, as they could finally fulfill their childhood dreams of being Vaqueros in the finest flowering of human culture in history.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM

159 posts, read 190,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well obviously California and Mexico have had a history since before day 1 so I'm always kind of amused by people thinking this is a new thing. Any border state is going to be like this.

Where I live "diversity" is mostly Asians and folks from India. SoCal has a lot more Hispanics.

Do I like it? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
Well obviously you live in some upscale part of Silicon Valley. NorCal's Hispanic percentage is almost the same as SoCal. Aside from some of Silicon Valley and San Francisco/Daly City/Palo Alto, there are way more Hispanics than Asians in Northern California.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM

24,948 posts, read 15,544,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Well obviously you live in some upscale part of Silicon Valley. NorCal's Hispanic percentage is almost the same as SoCal. Aside from some of Silicon Valley and San Francisco/Daly City/Palo Alto, there are way more Hispanics than Asians in Northern California.
I live in the Tri Valley. I don't know why it matters though. I said it, whether you want to believe me or not is no concern of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California