U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM

159 posts, read 390,826 times

Advertisements

Do you like California's diversity?

I'm 18, NorCal born and bred, and have been most of everywhere in my state. However, I've only spent a few days in Southern California and that wasn't much so I hope to get down there more often. I'm of mixed Chinese-Irish heritage but look more Asian. My background is pretty mixed. I live an hour north of SF and my city has a large Hispanic population, but not a whole lot of Asians despite it being only 45 minutes north of San Francisco.

So question is, don't you love CA's diversity? Many people are not fond of the rapidly growing Hispanic population which people accuse of many being the stem of illegal immigrants and anchor babies. There are some elementary schools in my city that 95% Hispanic. Believe it or not, 51% of CA's public school students are Latino. I just love CA's diversity. Many Chinese people in SF, many Mexicans and Central Americans that speak Spanish everywhere, many Vietnamese and Chinese in Silicon Valley, plenty of Koreans, Armenians, Middle Easterners in LA, and Filipinos in many cities, etc. Pacific Islanders in various cities. It's just that we got it all.

You can find pretty much any type of ethnic restaurant in the state, or in a single metropolis, in the state of California. Depending on where you go, you can hear a variety of different languages from all over the world. It's just great.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,006,184 times
I do. I lived in Des Moines Iowa for over a year and while Iowa's getting more diverse (mainly from Mexicans moving in) its for the most part white of Northern European ancestry. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I'm just used to more of a mix. When I got back permanently the first thing I though when I out around town was "wow, look at all the different kinds of people!". Forgot what a rainbow my hometown is!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM

11,433 posts, read 17,110,518 times
Default Do You Like California's Cultural Diversity?

Not so much, a mix of different people is good but when one race is pretty much taking over it's not that great. JMO

Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 PM

16,333 posts, read 16,444,934 times
Oh yeah, great thing, California and the rest of the United States Of Amerit*rd is looking more and more like Mexico.

I'm sure that the folks coming here, mainly from south of our border, are going to really improve things and not be a burden on this failing, insane country.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,773,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Oh yeah, great thing, California and the rest of the United States Of Amerit*rd is looking more and more like Mexico.

I'm sure that the folks coming here, mainly from south of our border, are going to really improve things and not be a burden on this failing, insane country.
Que pasa, ese? ... Well, I am definitely going to hang around and watch you squirm ...Buenos dias ...

Old 10-28-2011, 02:52 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,733,902 times
Quote:

Yeah, I often think to myself how bizarre it is, the hispanic influence coming over America.

Why just recently they renamed my city of Saint Joseph to San Jose, can you believe it?!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:54 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Quote:
...the United States Of Amerit*rd ...
If you have something more to say along those lines, raise your hand and place it over your mouth

Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,000,593 times
i like the diversity, but i've found that birds of a feather still flock together. it seems like once work is over, most people go back to their own kind. i'd like to have a more diversified group of friends, but it's not always easy to do this with people who don't have much in common with you. that's not to say i've never had friends of different races, it's just not as easy as it seems even with the extremely diverse population.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,062,839 times
I find it less diverse here, in the true sense of that word, than many places in the Eastern US. While we may have a good representation of East Asian peoples here and of course the many Mexicans and Salvadorians, where we tend to lack is people from the Caribbean, Africa, and the like. And of course there really are not that many blacks, overall. I know people (Especially a certain Oaklander) will now post various stats showing that indeed there are Trinidadians in some pocket of some neighborhood, but from a standpoint of the overall feel, you just don't see certain groups as represented here as they are in the East, and meanwhile, no offense, there are areas here that are like Chinese monocultures.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,632,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Not so much, a mix of different people is good but when one race is pretty much taking over it's not that great. JMO
That is what Mariano Vallejo said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or