Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
3) CA being a welfare state with large population of illegals who don't pay taxes and collect the benefits. There're probably other reasons.
ding dong some people just don't think through their posts, But mostly this poster should reread my post about the realtor and the new couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I think this entity is speaking of
1. "What's the weather like in California?" Or
2. "What are the people like in California?"
3. Or the always amazing "Why is California nothing but suburbs and tract homes?"

He must not get out much. Hard to imagine a statement that indicates less knowledge of this state than his.

Sport, for #1. compare the weather in San Diego to Bakersfield, to Alturas to Eureka to San Luis Obispo to Baker. etc, etc, etc.

For #3. I bet you had no idea that nearly 50% of the state is uninhabited wild land.
1. What I was implying was that it can be summed up in something as simple as "very temperate on the coasts, less so as you move inland but still not horribly extreme compared to other states." Obviously SD isn't going to be identical to Bakersfield but we don't need to split hairs in the differences between San Diego vs. SLO, etc. If you have to reach for someplace as obscure as Alturas to prove an exception, then my point still stands.

3. I did, but that's irrelevant. Every state has uninhabited areas and there are obviously not going to be suburbs or tract homes there. But as far as population centers are concerned, "nothing but suburbs and tract homes" is pretty accurate. (Yes, I'm aware that SF city is a major exception...but accounts for such a low percentage of population.)

Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
1. What I was implying was that it can be summed up in something as simple as "very temperate on the coasts, less so as you move inland but still not horribly extreme compared to other states." Obviously SD isn't going to be identical to Bakersfield but we don't need to split hairs in the differences between San Diego vs. SLO, etc. If you have to reach for someplace as obscure as Alturas to prove an exception, then my point still stands.

3. I did, but that's irrelevant. Every state has uninhabited areas and there are obviously not going to be suburbs or tract homes there. But as far as population centers are concerned, "nothing but suburbs and tract homes" is pretty accurate. (Yes, I'm aware that SF city is a major exception...but accounts for such a low percentage of population.)
California has an enormous range of climates, far more than any other state. It has "horribly extreme" climate difference. At my house some years ago we had a week in which the high temps were -15.
Truckee CA vies with Gunnison Colorado and West Yellowstone for the lowest year round average temps in the lower 48 states.
Klamath CA averages 80 inches of rain per year
Barstow averages 4 inches of rain per year
Sacramento averages 18 inches of rain per year
The heaviest snowfall of any inhabited place in the United States is Soda Springs CA
The driest place in the US is Death Valley..

Not "every state has uninhabited areas" but, 49 percent of the state is by law uninhabited. Much of the rest of the state is open ranch and farm land. Sure there are large areas of megapolis, but, even with those, this state has more open space than all but a very few states.
It isn't Alturas that is obscure, it is Los Angeles.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yep its loose here. trying to figure out how to act and where they fit in. back east and in the south everybody knows their place and stays in it forever and ever and ever and ever.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSucksImLeaving View Post
My biggest gripe with living in California is the number of negative, rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that Californians can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an @sshole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!

I try to have a good attitude and give this place the benefit of the doubt, but then I go for a walk up my street and see a car getting honked at and getting the finger because they are trying to turn at an intersection. I walk a little further and see a man and woman having a conversation outside their cars on the shoulder of the road with the door wide open with cars and busses having to maneuver over the center line to get around them while they have this arrogant look on their faces to all the world like" what are YOU gonna do about it?" You accidentally make eye contact with someone around here and nine times out of ten you get a look or response back like "what are YOU lookin' at?"

Maybe it's just me, but I travel often and have lived in many other places and have never witnessed this degree of rude/angry people concentrated in one place. Also, a cursory look around this forum shows I am not alone.
And apparently one of them is leaving California soon...

Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
California has an enormous range of climates, far more than any other state. It has "horribly extreme" climate difference. At my house some years ago we had a week in which the high temps were -15.
Truckee CA vies with Gunnison Colorado and West Yellowstone for the lowest year round average temps in the lower 48 states.
Klamath CA averages 80 inches of rain per year
Barstow averages 4 inches of rain per year
Sacramento averages 18 inches of rain per year
The heaviest snowfall of any inhabited place in the United States is Soda Springs CA
The driest place in the US is Death Valley..

Not "every state has uninhabited areas" but, 49 percent of the state is by law uninhabited. Much of the rest of the state is open ranch and farm land. Sure there are large areas of megapolis, but, even with those, this state has more open space than all but a very few states.
It isn't Alturas that is obscure, it is Los Angeles.
Again, you're pulling out obscure and/or mostly uninhabited areas. Klamath, Truckee, Soda Springs, and Death Valley are nowhere near population centers. The average temps of Barstow aren't really that extreme.

Los Angeles is obscure? The city of LA has about 4M and LA County is 10M, the LA metro even more. Everyone in the country knows what LA is. This isn't obscure.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
People can be rude or nice anywhere. I usually hate when responses like this are given as if to suggest that people are some homogeneous life form. However that's sort of my point here. It's not that people in one area may be more rude than in another. It's more to do with what we're used to. Let me explain:

In San Diego, I found people tended to be largely into their own world. Some find this rude, sort of like what was described earlier about the rudeness in SoCal. However, people there have more respect for drivers. Maybe this is necessary to avoid being killed but it seems polite to some. Compare that to Oakland where pedestrians seem more indifferent to drivers and not only step out in front of you but really take their time when crossing. This may seem rude to some. However these same people may seem to be less into their own world. New Yorkers have been described both as rude and also as really good friends. Seattle is filled with very polite people who want nothing to do with you beyond that...Seattle Freeze they call it.

It's all what you can and cannot take really. A state larger than many countries can't be explained by the experience of one area.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Again, you're pulling out obscure and/or mostly uninhabited areas. Klamath, Truckee, Soda Springs, and Death Valley are nowhere near population centers. The average temps of Barstow aren't really that extreme.

Los Angeles is obscure? The city of LA has about 4M and LA County is 10M, the LA metro even more. Everyone in the country knows what LA is. This isn't obscure.
I referenced livable land, Los Angeles is not only obscure, it is uninhabitable for anyone one with an imagination and an interest in living..

Your statement about lack of climate extremes was just plain wrong, your statement that California is nothing but city, and to then state that if it isn't city, it doesn't count, because it isn't city, is just plain strange.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Rhode Island Forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/rhode...ent-angry.html
hmmm, whaddya'know ...
Wow, multiple identities, same SPAM and go kind of post with the same exact rant! Good find! I wonder who he/she will be spamming tommorrow under yet another name?

Derek

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Rhode Island Forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/rhode...ent-angry.html
hmmm, whaddya'know ...
LOL, amazing that 2 people living in 2 different states could almost word for word say the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoRhude View Post
My biggest gripe with living in Rhode Island is the number of rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis. Yes, there are such people in every state and yes this does not apply to all Rhode Islanders but there is definitely something in the culture/mindset/upbringing around here that makes it more prevalent.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that RI'ers can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an **shole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!

I try to have a good attitude and give this place the benefit of the doubt, but then I go for a walk up my street and see a car getting honked at and getting the finger because they are trying to turn at an intersection. I walk a little further and see a man and woman having a conversation outside their cars on the shoulder of the road with the door wide open with cars and busses having to maneuver over the center line to get around them while they have this arrogant look on their faces to all the world like" what are YOU gonna do about it?" You accidentally make eye contact with someone around here and nine times out of ten you get a look or response back like "what are YOU lookin' at?"

Maybe it's just me, but I travel often and have lived in many other places and have never witnessed this degree of rude/angry people concentrated in one place. Also, a cursory look around this forum shows I am not alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSucksImLeaving View Post
My biggest gripe with living in California is the number of negative, rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that Californians can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an @sshole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California