Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSucksImLeaving View Post
The problem with living here is the negative, rude, impatient, angry people!
I agree.

[get out while you still can!!!]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM

525 posts, read 899,531 times
too many want to be stars and keeping up with the Jonses'. The problem is with such high cost of living a lot of people have to security. They are house and car broke. Eventually alot of people become unscrupulous putting their morals aside, most will walk all over you for the almighty dollar.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I remember December 1977. Back East, people were freezing to death trying to get home from work because of a massive blizzard, and there I was wearing only shorts, sitting on the sand in Capo Beach in the late evening, drinking wine and having a good old time. I can remember thinking that I should probably be feeling guil.... NAAAAWWWW.
I remember the summer of... (insert any year)... 116F in San Fernando Valley, and 110 in Fullerton. People up North were sitting by the cool lakes and streams, in the shade of the lush trees...residents of SoCal were indoors running air conditioners... sucking in the smog, the chemicals of laundry fabric softener and smoke

Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
A huge part of it is perception, and it's how you approach other people. A friend of mine from back in MA who now lives in NYC and loves it there is kind of pushy, kind of unnecessarily sarcastic, and comes across arrogant if you don't know him. He doesn't like CA much because people here are, by his measure, unpleasant.

Another friend we grew up here is moving out here from NYC in a month with his native-NJ/NYC girlfriend. They were here for the last few days interviewing, and couldn't stop gushing about how nice people here are... but... their gripe with NYC is how rude and unpleasant people there are. I grew up in MA and lived for awhile in NYC and agree with them 100%; that's why I've lived out west since '02 and have no intention to move back

Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I remember the summer of... (insert any year)... 116F in San Fernando Valley, and 110 in Fullerton. People up North were sitting by the cool lakes and streams, in the shade of the lush trees...residents of SoCal were indoors running air conditioners... sucking in the smog, the chemicals of laundry fabric softener and smoke
Actually, I was cruising with the top down, enjoying the sunshine... blasting "Wine, Wenches & Wheels" by the Meatmen

Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSucksImLeaving View Post
My biggest gripe with living in California is the number of negative, rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that Californians can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an @sshole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!
Maybe San Diego county is different...because I just don't see that here.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
One of the best features of this state: All of those outbound lanes to funnel out the people who hate it here. I can't remember how many there are. Highnlite knows that number.
Unfortunately, invaders are using those same arteries to get in here.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Unfortunately, invaders are using those same arteries to get in here.
Well, I entered California via US 95 from Nevada. However, I'm a native Southerner and not a carpetbagger. However, most of the "carpetbaggers" I've met out here have adjusted pretty well to living in CA. I love living in CA, but admittedly people immediately pick up my accent; I do often feel like a fish out of water.

That said, speaking of the "negative, rude, impatient, angry people," that is sadly endemic anywhere in the U.S. now. Honestly, CA urban areas do high a higher concentration of them by virtue of the, yep, higher population. People can attribute this to high cost of living, poor highway infrastructure (which means terrible traffic), price increases outpacing inflation, etc. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of people in America are just pieces of work. I'm gonna sound like Adam Carolla for a moment: speaking as a 20-something, that whole MTV, "reality" bull s**t, over-hyped drama feminization of TV, topped off with a smearing of sass, serious makes me worried about this entire country's social future.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, I entered California via US 95 from Nevada. However, I'm a native Southerner and not a carpetbagger. However, most of the "carpetbaggers" I've met out here have adjusted pretty well to living in CA. I love living in CA, but admittedly people immediately pick up my accent; I do often feel like a fish out of water.

That said, speaking of the "negative, rude, impatient, angry people," that is sadly endemic anywhere in the U.S. now. Honestly, CA urban areas do high a higher concentration of them by virtue of the, yep, higher population. People can attribute this to high cost of living, poor highway infrastructure (which means terrible traffic), price increases outpacing inflation, etc. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of people in America are just pieces of work. I'm gonna sound like Adam Carolla for a moment: speaking as a 20-something, that whole MTV, "reality" bull s**t, over-hyped drama feminization of TV, topped off with a smearing of sass, serious makes me worried about this entire country's social future.
I, as a 28-year old, echo this statement...

Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 PM

11 posts, read 34,996 times
The OP still hasn't said where in California he/or she had these bad experiences. If you think California's bad, whatever you do don't move to the east coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California