U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Have you ever thought about moving out-of-state?
Yes! 46 82.14%
Nope 8 14.29%
Never gave it thought 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM

9,615 posts, read 10,191,751 times
Default Have you thought about moving out-of-state?

I voted Nope but should have said yes, I have thought about it but then I come back to weather and location to the mountians and the coast, plus employment, I just never saw any other place that suited me as much as California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,737,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I voted Nope but should have said yes, I have thought about it but then I come back to weather and location to the mountians and the coast, plus employment, I just never saw any other place that suited me as much as California.
Curious: are you a politician? (you know: "I was for it before I was against it") ... just askin'

Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM

9,615 posts, read 10,191,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Curious: are you a politician? (you know: "I was for it before I was against it") ... just askin'
Nah, just old and confused.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM

7,778 posts, read 8,955,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pennsylvania, although a high tax state, has almost the exact opposite fiscal policy as California's -personal income and sales taxes are low, property taxes are high. (PA has a flat tax for personal income.)

PA was spared from the real estate bubble. States with high property taxes (like the northeast, or like Virginia, or like Texas) generally suffered less damage from the RE bubble than states with low property taxes such as not only California but also Nevada (the only state which is doing even worse than California), Arizona, and Florida.
They found the sweet spot for property taxes and their income and sales/use taxes are lower than here - overall tax burden is therefore lower.

Here, the overall burden was killer during the 70s, Jarvis and Gann went after the easiest one to pick off - property taxes. If the overall burden had been lower or property taxes were lower (or their rise better controlled) or both, Prop 13 never would have passed. Problem is, it can't practically be undone due to the elder vote and bad memories about the out of control increases 35+ years ago.

In any case, now we have a mess, the goose that laid the golden egg was cooked and eaten, and now we're up the creek.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM

566 posts, read 1,217,598 times
We moved to Colorado seven years ago to find a more favorable business climate. The bureaucrats in Sacramento were driving us nuts (vocational training business). What a difference! Colorado welcomed us with open arms. Much easier for us to run our business here.

I am surprised by the number of cars with California plates here in CO. And from Florida too. I see several every day. Me thinks lots of people are finding that CO has a lot to offer.

Now if I could just get my sister in Agoura and my mother in Camarillo to move here it would be even better. I'm working on it.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM

18,313 posts, read 14,495,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
We moved to Colorado seven years ago to find a more favorable business climate. The bureaucrats in Sacramento were driving us nuts (vocational training business). What a difference! Colorado welcomed us with open arms. Much easier for us to run our business here.

I am surprised by the number of cars with California plates here in CO. And from Florida too. I see several every day. Me thinks lots of people are finding that CO has a lot to offer.

Now if I could just get my sister in Agoura and my mother in Camarillo to move here it would be even better. I'm working on it.
Memo to self: Don't consider a move to Colorado, ever. Too many Califoreigners!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 558,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post

Colorado has very expensive real estate/land prices... guess who helped to drive them up?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM

7,922 posts, read 5,660,977 times
I did. Moved up to Seattle for a little over a year.

Hated it, came back, no longer interested in moving out of state.

I'd be interested in living in other places... just none of them are in the US at this point (Tokyo, London, Paris, Hong Kong).

Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 PM

11,738 posts, read 12,334,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
They found the sweet spot for property taxes and their income and sales/use taxes are lower than here - overall tax burden is therefore lower.

Here, the overall burden was killer during the 70s, Jarvis and Gann went after the easiest one to pick off - property taxes. If the overall burden had been lower or property taxes were lower (or their rise better controlled) or both, Prop 13 never would have passed. Problem is, it can't practically be undone due to the elder vote and bad memories about the out of control increases 35+ years ago.

In any case, now we have a mess, the goose that laid the golden egg was cooked and eaten, and now we're up the creek.
Jarvis, being head of the Los Angeles Apartment Owners' Association, had a personal interest in picking off property taxes which he did not have in sales taxes or income taxes. Also, state income taxes and sales taxes pre-Prop 13 were not high. The state had a massive surplus. Jarvis sold Prop 13 to the public claiming that with landlords paying less money in taxes, they would lower rents. That did not happen, and thus rent control took root in California. (In 1978 there was no city anywhere in the state that had rent control nor had there been since the end of WW2). With property taxes lower, property values soared.

Given how many CA residents of 35 years ago are dead or have left the state, and given how many people have poured in during that time, Prop 13 may be changed eventually. The number of people who remember CA in Brown's first term is dwindling (and many of those who remember, remember it as a better time than what has followed it) It'll just take a politician with guts who is an independent thinker, something almost unknown in CA, and most likely a state constitutional convention. Unfortunately,political cowardice in CA is the norm.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 AM

67 posts, read 64,179 times
Default Moving out of state

I did. California to Michigan. So far....so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California