U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever thought about moving out-of-state?
Yes! 46 82.14%
Nope 8 14.29%
Never gave it thought 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,481,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Might want to rethink about moving to Tennessee. I have an employee who lived there for 5 plus years before moving back to California. She longs to go back to Tennessee where their house was bigger and the people were friendly, but the husband does not want to go back. The oldest daughter and her husband was the last to leave Tennessee.

I met another person who lived in Tennessee as well, but moved out to California as well.

That's not to say you should be discouraged from moving to Tennessee -- just be fully aware of what you're getting into and it's for the right reasons. Moving to a state because the cost of living is cheaper isn't always a wise decision.
I have never been to Tennessee, but after a trip to visit a friend in Oklahoma moved here from Riverside a few years ago and would never ever go back. I'd wanted to move out of suburb and strip mall land for a long time and opportunity happened. Here, the whole state population is less than the city of LA and 80 percent live in OKC or Tulsa and surriounding bedroom communities. The twenty percent is spread around small towns and farms. Drive out of town, which for me is a block, and you hit open road with trees and rivers and green open space. I cringe at the thought of the suburban lined roads of socal.

Meth? Yes, there are labs. There was one in an abandoned house up the street from me which is no more since the city had it torn down. But I'm sure there is just as much or more meth in Riverside, where the downtown bus station was the great druggie hang out, and it was quite evident how many were druggies. But my door lock was broken and I didn't worry, I knew my neighbors were home and would do something should someone other than me be opening the door (well, that and the dog).

Not going to a place because there are methlabs is pointless. There are just as many users in urban setting and they are standing out there on the street jabbering at the sidewalk.

Personally, I wouldn't have considered coming here if it were not for my friend and the visit, but being here instantly worked for me. If there is an area you like, try taking a trip there, drive through, take your time and above all talk to the locals. You might be surprised where you find home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Colorado has very expensive real estate/land prices... guess who helped to drive them up?
Aspen, yes, the rest of Colorado ... not so much. I grew up in Westside of LA and realized by the early 1990's I'd never, EVER be able to afford a home (small bungalos) in the area. I moved to Colorado in the mid-90's, established a professional career, and am now raising my own kids in the equivalent quality neighborhood as I grew up in, except I paid roughly 6-8 cents on the dollar for my nice spacious house with a view of the city and the highest performing school district in the state compared to the square foot price of homes in my old West LA neighborhood.

It's not even close. And we have seasons here which, to some of us, is a good thing!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,558,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Might want to rethink about moving to Tennessee. I have an employee who lived there for 5 plus years before moving back to California. She longs to go back to Tennessee where their house was bigger and the people were friendly, but the husband does not want to go back. The oldest daughter and her husband was the last to leave Tennessee.

I met another person who lived in Tennessee as well, but moved out to California as well.

That's not to say you should be discouraged from moving to Tennessee -- just be fully aware of what you're getting into and it's for the right reasons. Moving to a state because the cost of living is cheaper isn't always a wise decision.
I agree with this. My husband and I moved from California to Tennessee the end of 2007. We moved here to be closer to my family that's in Louisiana, Florida and Texas. I myself am originally from the South. I moved to California in the late 90's.

Fast forward to now; we are both miserable and have been miserable for 3 of those 4 years we've been here. We are finally able to transfer back to California within the next couple of month's. We are middle age and the quality of life here in Tennessee was literally sucking the life right out of us. We are actually counting down the days when we can cross back over into the California State Line.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Every place has it's good and bad. Yes; California has it's problems. I'm not in denial to that but it has 110% more to offer us in life than Nashville. And it's not as cheap as some would think to live here.

So my answer to the original poster is Yes; I moved out of California and went to Tennessee. Now I'm coming back to California for a much better quality of life.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,156,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pennsylvania, although a high tax state, has almost the exact opposite fiscal policy as California's -personal income and sales taxes are low, property taxes are high. (PA has a flat tax for personal income.)

PA was spared from the real estate bubble. States with high property taxes (like the northeast, or like Virginia, or like Texas) generally suffered less damage from the RE bubble than states with low property taxes such as not only California but also Nevada (the only state which is doing even worse than California), Arizona, and Florida.
PA bumped up the flat income tax a few years ago, considering the high number of welfare recipients there, it does not surprise me it won't rise again.
Much like CA, PA will also soon feel the effects of the welfare system not to mention PA has a very high senior population that is also taxing the system.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM

15,428 posts, read 25,325,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Just ask someone from Las Vegas, Portland, Austin, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, or Boulder.
Ask someone ONLINE or in person? Because in person I've haven't come across too many people that complain about Californians from these areas. Just like many things people complain about on this site and act like it's some big issue, I'm guessing it's a relatively small minority that even care.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,775,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ask someone ONLINE or in person? Because in person I've haven't come across too many people that complain about Californians from these areas. Just like many things people complain about on this site and act like it's some big issue, I'm guessing it's a relatively small minority that even care.
I live in Puget Sound, and formerly Seattle, so I can complain about Californians for you ... what would you like to know? Where shall I start? The vacuous lifestyles they drag with them wherever they go?

Oh, but wait, I also lived in California back in the late 60's, and still do part-time now, and love it ...

Huh. Well, never-mind.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 PM

224 posts, read 192,163 times
I've been wanting to move for a while now. there's lots of reasons why, the main ones being I want to experience a different State and the California Cities I'd like to live in are just way to expensive for me.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM

212 posts, read 623,376 times
Quote:
... teaching gay-ism to our kids ...
What is gay-ism???

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM

4,932 posts, read 7,557,517 times
My partner and I have visited some of the best cities in the U.S. (at least in our minds) the past few years- Portland, Seattle, Boston, NYC, D.C., Denver, (I still would love to visit Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago and a couple of more cities) as well as some sweet smaller cities like Gloucester MA, Portsmouth, Newburyport, and each time we like to consider as to whether or not we could live there. Usually we conclude that, yeah, we could live here- but in reality it is just a visit/vacation- so the vibe is of course, positive and full of adventure and even if the weather is bad it is temporary (and being where we live now, any weather is exciting and enjoyable for us) so the "conclusion" is really very unrealistic.

When we really consider choosing a neighborhood/house, finding a job, experiencing the weather long term and a culture vastly different except for a few pockets than California then we really realize that it would be crazy to move away from here. Any place elsewhere that we would actually consider to give us the same or similar attributes that we deem very important to us would be in areas that are the absolute most expensive and desirable in each of those cities- nice, classic house, sweet garden in a beautiful urban neighborhood adjacent downtown (and then you would still have to deal with the weather) and frankly, we're not rich.

I would concur the state has problems, many areas are crappy but are balanced by enough that are amazing in either natural beauty or urban culture, vibe and excitement. I have lived in enough areas of the state, from Chico, Central Valley, Mother Lode foothills/mountains, Bay Area, Los Angeles, Palm Springs and now here to have a very good perception of the state, and sweeping generalizations of each area/populous that lives there are utterly foolish. There are good and bad areas/people everywhere, political/fiscal/educational/employment challenges also, but we are especially unaffected by the gloom and doom and are especially appreciative of the good in our lives.

If we won the lottery tomorrow I don't think I would even consider moving (and we are far from wealthy) we are rich in amazing friends, a perfect neighborhood, beautiful historic house and terraced canyon garden, a fun, safe and approachable city we can walk to, and I just love the fact that in a few short minutes from my house I can be swimming with the dolphins and sharks (harmless leopards, uh, mostly), seals and rays- or up into the mountains or desert in an hour or so. You just can't get that anywhere else.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:41 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,858,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You probably have not even been to those areas or have not spent much time in them. What difference does it make if it is online or in person anyways, as if typing opinions some how makes them less relevant

If I leave california, it will not be to go to a California lite. There's really no point to me in relocating somewhere that is filled with Californians. At that point you get all the negatives of california (crappy people addicted to tract homes, traffic, and California natives with extreme polar politics -ex. Neo-nazi Idaho v Hippy Dippy Portland) with out any of the benefits (mild weather, diversity, the beach etc).

And that is not to say that Californians are unique in this regard, people from Florida hate Long Islanders, people in North Carolina hate yankees from Philly, people in Wisconsin hate FIBS (effing illinois bastar...)

But if I leave, I don't want to ever have to deal with Californians or their lifestyles again. Some where back east where soft Californians can't handle the weather and do not go there.

A place where the only time I hear the word "california" is when a sports team comes to town. Some where like Chicago, Ohio (love the low numbers of illegals there), or the BosWash corridor.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 11-03-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or