U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, aren't Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon providing support and/or involvement in the movement? And if so, how much of THEIR earnings would they really be willing to sacrifice????

I don't begrudge movie and TV stars becoming wealthy. I do have immense issues when an actor makes $20 million for just one movie! Especially considering that so little profit from movie tickets go to the theaters showing the movies (which is why the concession stands are so expensive, by the way).

Now professional athletes ~ what they make is obscene, and likely the top administration, too, and what THOSE tickets cost is obscene, too. It's gotten clear out of hand. As have music concerts (which has been blamed on loss of revenue from poor cd sales. . . but concerts have been expensive for a LONG time).
profit margin x volume ..
$1 a margin of profit on each ticket x 50 million tickets = $50 million in profits ...
reducing the margin by 1/2 isn't going to make the individual consumer that much richer...

that being said, you'd be surprised at what 'celebrities' will do for publicity .. you liking them equates to more sales (generally) ...

Furthermore, notice that the 'bread crumb' giving comes after they have made it .. if i made $50 million a year, i'd be more than happy to give some away too ..

People need to stop praising these people and start looking in the mirror for the true leader and person of value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Which they'll be better able to do when the 1% act responsibly

Actually Dawg ... I should have said it's really a problem of the whole 99.99999999% ... because you and I, enlightened as we be, are exempt from all the bullsh8t ...
chicken and the egg .. does the idiot exist because of someone exploiting them or does the person who exploits them exist because of the idiots... something tells me the relationship between them isn't what the populist 'occupy' movement would have people think

Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,771,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
chicken and the egg .. does the idiot exist because of someone exploiting them or does the person who exploits them exist because of the idiots... something tells me the relationship between them isn't what the populist 'occupy' movement would have people think
Cheese Louise, man! Do you never stop? It was so nice of you to leave the forum for a while ... now you are back baiting everyone with your money and idiots mantras ... how can someone so young and inexperienced in life be so full of anger and vitriol when so much has gone his way? If you don't like life, you can always .....

But no, you think contributing negativity to a silly forum is an act of great personal sacrifice ... volunteerism at its finest? Contributing to the world by ridiculing your country and fellow man.

Act your age: go enjoy yourself the world will stumble along without your guidance somehow ... just as it has for about 4 billion years ...

Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,296,680 times
Quote:
Earlier this year, fellow reality star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, of "The Jersey Shore" fame, was paid $32,000 to speak for an hour at Rutgers University
Three cheers for higher education!
"Snooki" gave a discourse on Aristotelian logic while also commenting on her latest research on modern-day macroeconomics. Everyone in the audience was awed by her brilliant deductions, while more than a few noted she had really big ****.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
"Snooki" gave a discourse on Aristotelian logic while also commenting on her latest research on modern-day macroeconomics. Everyone in the audience was awed by her brilliant deductions, while more than a few noted she had really big ****.
Perhaps they could have gotten another star who's constantly in the media spotlight to talk about economics....

Lindsay Lohan slams the Federal Reserve

Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Perhaps they could have gotten another star who's constantly in the media spotlight to talk about economics....

Now we're back on track!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Cheese Louise, man! Do you never stop? It was so nice of you to leave the forum for a while ... now you are back baiting everyone with your money and idiots mantras ... how can someone so young and inexperienced in life be so full of anger and vitriol when so much has gone his way? If you don't like life, you can always .....

But no, you think contributing negativity to a silly forum is an act of great personal sacrifice ... volunteerism at its finest? Contributing to the world by ridiculing your country and fellow man.

Act your age: go enjoy yourself the world will stumble along without your guidance somehow ... just as it has for about 4 billion years ...
Did someone say something?? .. Act your age.. take off your adult diapers.. find your pair and call a spade a spade.. world would be a better place if you stopped treating adults like babies... Grow up

Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Like i said.. publicity and populism .. one of the many things that keeps the $$ rolling in hollywood

Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Did someone say something?? .. Act your age.. take of your adult diapers.. find your pay and call a spade a spade.. world would be a better place if you stopped treating adults like babies... Grow up
Well, act grown up and see how that changes things. Take a mature perspective. Treat others with respect. Do you really think that constantly referring to your fellow man as "idiots" will get them to listen to you as someone with something worthwhile to say?

And you wrote some time back about having been a psychology minor? You really need to consider getting help for whatever makes you so angry at the world all the time.

Enjoy this thread ... it's for fun ... a respite in the midst of protest on other fronts ... relax ... have a beer (if you're old enough) ... tell a few jokes ... see how things change

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Well, act grown up and see how that changes things. Take a mature perspective. Treat others with respect. Do you really think that constantly referring to your fellow man as "idiots" will get them to listen to you as someone with something worthwhile to say?

And you wrote some time back about having been a psychology minor? You really need to consider getting help for whatever makes you so angry at the world all the time.

Enjoy this thread ... it's for fun ... a respite in the midst of protest on other fronts ... relax ... have a beer (if you're old enough) ... tell a few jokes ... see how things change
Have a Sam Adams boston Lager in hand actually ..
An idiot is an idiot .. Loved ones and friends have called me that name many times when I have done idiotic things.. I love them for being honest w/ me .. Pointing out when I am being one which allows me to identify the problem and fix it. I enjoy posting.. Relieves stress in between brainstorming/coding.. Wouldn't do it otherwise.

*cheers bro.. Grab a beer and join me =P

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or