U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,277,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I grew up in the coldest country on Earth... where I lived I remember snow in August and could go for months without a day of sun. Wouldn't pay for that Patagonia crap if my life depended on it. We lived without that stuff and camped (including our army and geologist parties) just fine with cheap equipment and clothes. I always prefer to get stuff in Army supplies. The stuff shouldn't cost that ridiculously much. When I see those dudes parading expensive junk like if they're out ot get laid (Patagonia clothes probably makes it more likely) it often screams "city slicker" makes me want to puke...! People lived for millenniums without that expensive gear. They started to produce pricey junk to commercialize rock climbing and camping, it reminds me of iphone being "necessary". If I pay $500 for a tent it better be able to pop itself up and have fan dryers inside. It probably would have to have wheels.
I love my Patagonia parka especially when it's well below zero.
And status has nothing to do with it.
Anyway, a lengthy argument (or a short one for that matter) about personal preference isn't something i'm into.
I'm sure the o.p. will figure it out and since he's real young and a guy (i'm neither) he'll probably do just fine no matter what equipment he opts for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM

51 posts, read 38,935 times
Appreciate the replies everyone.

Was hoping to hear better word on the weather, is winter a rain season for CA? I looked at Santa Cruz's climate statistics and it averaged 7 inches of rain in January alone! Not good news. Lol. I also will being living in the tents that the program provides...so who knows the quality. ahboyy

Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,277,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post

Was hoping to hear better word on the weather, is winter a rain season for CA? I looked at Santa Cruz's climate statistics and it averaged 7 inches of rain in January alone! Not good news. Lol. I also will being living in the tents that the program provides...so who knows the quality. ahboyy
Yes, California = rain in the winter and snow in the higher elevations.
The rain can be intense at times depending on where you are in the state and what kind of winter it is.
Last winter was incredible in terms of precipitation so maybe this winter will be a bit more mellow ... or maybe not ... maybe wetter.
You just never know.
So, unless it's a freakishly dry winter you will be camping in rain when in Santa Cruz.
You will also most likely experience some beautiful and dry stretches with relatively warm weather.
I imagine the program you're working with has some experience and that they'll provide you with the equipment that you need to stay warm and dry.
Have fun.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM

1,027 posts, read 686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post

Man, where you see the trees.... there's rain, that's why they grow. So, it's the price for having nice green vegetation.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM

12,702 posts, read 8,970,612 times
At amazon.com or wallyworld you can get feet warmers & handwarmers. They have Coleman catalytic heaters (use with ventilation). Wear longjohns, russian hat with earflaps, warm socks, good quality warm boots, gloves, etc

It doesn't feel as cold, when your young.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 AM

14,380 posts, read 12,279,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Wet and chilly for the Northern two thirds of the state. That's when we get most of our rain. Think low 40s at night, mid 50s in the day for the coast. Unless we are having a dry winter probably a storm or two a week.
^^^This^^^.

I'd add that the further north you go, the colder and wetter it gets (although temps along the CA/OR border by the coast are only maybe 3-4 degrees colder than in Santa Cruz). The further south you go,the warmer and drier it gets.

Nighttime temperatures along the coast don't vary as much in winter as you might think. The average low in Eureka in January is 41.5F. The average January low in Santa Cruz (much further south) is 39.3F.

Further south, in Santa Barbara, the average January low is 42.7F. Daytime temperatures vary more than the nighttime ones. The drier areas tend to get as cold or colder at night because there is less cloud cover to hold in the daytime heat.

SANTA BARBARA, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

EUREKA WSO CITY, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California