Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM

18 posts, read 18,291 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving from Kentucky to The Valley all I know about it is that it is across from Hollywood. I have been talking to a developer that is building the house now but won't be ready til June. So we are planning a trip in April to check everything out. Moving that far is exciting but also a little scary so I want to do my homework and get as much info as I can ahead of time. I want to move to California because I want warm winters. I hate the cold. However I have 4 children so I want to make sure it is a clean and safe area to raise my children. Also anytime you mention California the first thing ppl say is no way to many earthquakes so yes that is a concern as well. Please help me out. I want to know as much as I can about the Valley neighborhoods,schools,weather,earthquakes?Also the deal on the house seems to good to be true. He told me he has built many of these houses, all the same design in the Valley so I was wondering for those who live in the Valley have you ever seen any of these houses? I have enclosed a PIC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392899_266858353351516_100000820594856_679461_2354 74408_n.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Where (and what) are you talking about specifically?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
So you're moving to some valley that you don't know anything about?? You should have done much more homework before moving that far. I would imagine you mean the San Fernando Valley ??

Post this in the LA forum for better responses.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
If you want warm winters, move to South Florida.

You posted some kind of cartoon of a house, I'm not sure people will know what you mean.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
I was thinking that the o.p. is considering buying property in CA from Kentucky and without seeing it first!
O.P. .... don't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to know who that developer is and what he's about.
Do you have any more information about him and his company?
And what's the saying? .... "if it seems to good to be true it probably is".
And i'm not sure you'll find a better quality of life in California.
Aside from the weather i don't see why it would provide you and your family with a better life.
Do you like clean air for you and for your children?!
It's 2011 and the paradise you may be imagining from days gone by doesn't really exist anymore.
Don't be fooled into thinking California is the promised land.
Many people relocate to CA with illusions / deluded notions and then realize that the dream and reality are two very different things.
I love California and you may too but i certainly advice that you come and visit and do some traveling around the state in order to help you get real.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Why Southern Calif? There are other parts of the country with warm Winters and better economies.

By the way, that's about as random a picture of a "house" I've ever seen.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
So you're moving to some valley that you don't know anything about?? You should have done much more homework before moving that far. I would imagine you mean the San Fernando Valley ??

Post this in the LA forum for better responses.
As I said we are only thinking about moving and that is what I am here for to get as much info as I can. I am doing my homework. As I said we have 6 to 7 months before the house is finished to get as much info as we can. We have made no commitment yet.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Why Southern Calif? There are other parts of the country with warm Winters and better economies.

By the way, that's about as random a picture of a "house" I've ever seen.
Why not Southern California? And the picture of the house is an architectural drawing. I didn't say it was the actual house. But it should give people the idea of what the house will look like and whether anyone has seen any of these houses being built in any of the Valley neighborhoods as he says he has already built many.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I was thinking that the o.p. is considering buying property in CA from Kentucky and without seeing it first!
O.P. .... don't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to know who that developer is and what he's about.
Do you have any more information about him and his company?
And what's the saying? .... "if it seems to good to be true it probably is".
And i'm not sure you'll find a better quality of life in California.
Aside from the weather i don't see why it would provide you and your family with a better life.
Do you like clean air for you and for your children?!
It's 2011 and the paradise you may be imagining from days gone by doesn't really exist anymore.
Don't be fooled into thinking California is the promised land.
Many people relocate to CA with illusions / deluded notions and then realize that the dream and reality are two very different things.
I love California and you may too but i certainly advice that you come and visit and do some traveling around the state in order to help you get real.
No I am not at all considering buying a house and moving that far without seeing it first. As I said we have 6 to 7 months to plan and research. That's why I am here to gather info. And if we like what we know by April then we will take our vacation in California to see things with our own eyes. Just trying to see if it is even worth thinking about it. Been to Florida I do like the vacations there but not a place I want to live. Paradise no that's not what I am looking for. What we don't have here in Kentucky are warm winters. Other than that it's a great place to live but I have lived here my whole life. I wanted something different. Yes weather is an important factor but making sure it is a nice place to raise my children is most important. I wouldn't sign contracts or give a cent on a house without an attorney checking everything out and most diffidently not before seeing where I would be buying and living first.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Where (and what) are you talking about specifically?
The house is in Sherman Oaks. The house will be built and and should be ready By June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California