Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times

Advertisements

So, still no word from Vaughn Realty. I also sent an email to Coldwell Bankers about rentals on Monday, and no word from them either. Do people in Ridgecrest not check their email?

While looking through the rental ads, I keep seeing notes that some have evaporative cooling units. Are these like those old swamp coolers that my grandmother used to have in Trona? I remember water was run through some kind of straw-like stuff and air blown over it.

Your grandmother lived in Trona? Trona, now there is a town,,, beats LA though, yes, an evap cooler is a swamp cooler, cheaper than AC, and in a dry climate they work reasonably well.

Map of Ridgecrest here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM

167 posts, read 590,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Your grandmother lived in Trona? Trona, now there is a town,,, beats LA though, yes, an evap cooler is a swamp cooler, cheaper than AC, and in a dry climate they work reasonably well.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, we drove by my grandmother's old house and it's completely trashed.

Quote:
Map of Ridgecrest here[/color]
LOL, that took me to a map of Manhattan. I'm looking for a place to either buy a map of Ridgecrest, or one that I can print out in sections so I can see the names of all the streets.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't know why the link did not carry you there. Mapquest will have printable street maps of Ridgecrest, the AAA Central Coast and Kern County map shows the main streets of Ridgecrest. You will want it anyway as it shows what is around Ridgecrest.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Do we need to get the rulers out?

I personally know two people that have been snake bit, one was a kid at school that picked up a rattlesnake on the playground, the other was a Forest Service worker opening the door of his truck, the snake was sleeping in the shade. He told me the worst part of getting snake bit was the shots, that the snake bite was wasn't much. I know a dog that got bit, he went and laid down in the creek for two days, and was fine.

In 6 decades of wandering in the woods, I cannot count the number of rattlesnakes I have seen, and those are the only two people i know that have been bit, in the first case, the kid was dumb, in the second the snake was surprised.

Rattlesnakes are shy retiring creatures who have no interest in biting you.

8,000 people are bit by venomous snakes in the US each year,
less than 12 per year die from all venomous snake bites.

An average of 40 people a year die from bee stings.

I never see people carrying a gun to shoot bees with.
Many Greenhorns (and those raised here in a Greenhorn manner) think of the Eastern Timber Rattlers or Southern Swampies, when they contemplate Rattlers. Non Greenhorns know that the Western Diamondback has a rather tame toxin compared with its Eastern brethren.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM

167 posts, read 590,618 times
I found a nice site that explains evaporative cooling very well and includes charts describing what happens as the humidity rises and the temperatures you can expect to gain from the unit:

Evaporative Cooling

Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Many Greenhorns (and those raised here in a Greenhorn manner) think of the Eastern Timber Rattlers or Southern Swampies, when they contemplate Rattlers. Non Greenhorns know that the Western Diamondback has a rather tame toxin compared with its Eastern brethren.
When my father in law came home from WW2 he and his brother, not ready to settle down, went to Baja and caught rattlesnakes for a lab in the LA area. They had great fun doing that for a few years.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
wildmaven, try A1 Realty, they are at E Rader and S China Lake Blvd, in the same shopette as the bowling alley. They do a lot of property management.

Your experience with local real estate companies reminds me of what happened to me when I was looking for a place in Spokane, I didn't hear back from the local big prop mgmt company for two weeks!!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
When my father in law came home from WW2 he and his brother, not ready to settle down, went to Baja and caught rattlesnakes for a lab in the LA area. They had great fun doing that for a few years.
Back in the late 1980's the company I worked for used to have yearly meetings at Distribution center in Texas. My boss would invite several us to go out on Rattlesnake roundups during our time there. It was quite the event with town celebrations and Texas size BBQ's. Nothing like the feeling of holding a bag of pissed off hissing and rattling diamondbacks that just got ripped out of their dens.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 AM

134 posts, read 525,606 times
i think the house across the street from my mothers house is for rent. College Heights area. I'll ask her if it still is.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
RED ALERT: What you read below may contain instances of "rose-colored glasses", or "the grass is always greener", but

I've unexpectedly made a trip to Ridgecrest, and have been here for five days. I'll be leaving today.

Ridgecrest has grown some. Two new stoplights, to bring the total up to 8 or so. Any restaurants that have closed down have been reopened as something else. At least three new hotels. A couple new gyms.

The people have been great. It's so nice to have someone hold a door open for you, it's so nice to make small talk with strangers, it's so nice to run into people you know around town, it's so nice to have people treat you as if you are another human being with actual feelings. God it's been good to be out of Colorado (^none of these apply, at least where I live).

I worked at new Albertson's back in 2004, and there has been virtually no turnover since then. John's Pizza still has the awesome breadsticks with nacho cheese, eating them again was an almost-religious experience. Maybe I'll make it to drive-thru dairy on the way out of town.

The weather has been great (thank God it's November), the desert scenery and views are still awe-inspiring.

I have made peace with Ridgecrest. I'm more than glad I was able to come back here, even though the circumstances behind it more than SUCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
Where, when, why, how? Details, man. Details.
I missed this before, but in case you come back OP:

-100 block of W Robertson (ironically, I used to live on the 200 block of W Robertson)
-I'm going to guess 2005 or 2006
-resident was mad I pulled open his screen to knock on his door
-I was delivering pizza, resident had no doorbell, and I couldn't knock on his door because it was open, and behind a screen. He couldn't hear me knocking on the wood panels of the apartment, and he couldn't hear me knocking on the hard parts of the screen door, so I gently pulled open his screen and knocked on the door.
-Resident came out with a small revolver, pointed it at me and said some crap about having all these permits and such that enabled him to shoot me. He was a regular customer.
-I tried to reason with the guy, but he was high. He paid for his pizza. He didn't shoot me or at me, but continued to make plenty of idle threats. I called the police and they told me to come to the station. They went and talked to him, and all that came out of it was that we (and all other pizza delivery joints) were no longer to accept delivery orders from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California