U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM

19,122 posts, read 11,157,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
RED ALERT: What you read below may contain instances of "rose-colored glasses", or "the grass is always greener", but

I've unexpectedly made a trip to Ridgecrest, and have been here for five days. I'll be leaving today.

Ridgecrest has grown some. Two new stoplights, to bring the total up to 8 or so. Any restaurants that have closed down have been reopened as something else. At least three new hotels. A couple new gyms.

The people have been great. It's so nice to have someone hold a door open for you, it's so nice to make small talk with strangers, it's so nice to run into people you know around town, it's so nice to have people treat you as if you are another human being with actual feelings. God it's been good to be out of Colorado (^none of these apply, at least where I live).

I worked at new Albertson's back in 2004, and there has been virtually no turnover since then. John's Pizza still has the awesome breadsticks with nacho cheese, eating them again was an almost-religious experience. Maybe I'll make it to drive-thru dairy on the way out of town.

The weather has been great (thank God it's November), the desert scenery and views are still awe-inspiring.

I have made peace with Ridgecrest. I'm more than glad I was able to come back here, even though the circumstances behind it more than SUCK.

I missed this before, but in case you come back OP:

-100 block of W Robertson (ironically, I used to live on the 200 block of W Robertson)
-I'm going to guess 2005 or 2006
-resident was mad I pulled open his screen to knock on his door
-I was delivering pizza, resident had no doorbell, and I couldn't knock on his door because it was open, and behind a screen. He couldn't hear me knocking on the wood panels of the apartment, and he couldn't hear me knocking on the hard parts of the screen door, so I gently pulled open his screen and knocked on the door.
-Resident came out with a small revolver, pointed it at me and said some crap about having all these permits and such that enabled him to shoot me. He was a regular customer.
-I tried to reason with the guy, but he was high. He paid for his pizza. He didn't shoot me or at me, but continued to make plenty of idle threats. I called the police and they told me to come to the station. They went and talked to him, and all that came out of it was that we (and all other pizza delivery joints) were no longer to accept delivery orders from him.
It's always nice to make peace with your Demons.

Distance changes perspective.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

132 posts, read 310,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer41 View Post
i think the house across the street from my mothers house is for rent. College Heights area. I'll ask her if it still is.
Great! Thanks!

Quote:
John's Pizza still has the awesome breadsticks with nacho cheese, eating them again was an almost-religious experience. Maybe I'll make it to drive-thru dairy on the way out of town.
Yummmmmmmm!! *takes notes*

Wait...drive-thru dairy??

Quote:
I have made peace with Ridgecrest. I'm more than glad I was able to come back here, even though the circumstances behind it more than SUCK.
I'm so glad you were able to make peace with it.

Someone who is also moving to Ridgecrest has been trying to send me a message, but when I reply, it tells me it can't go through. In reply to that email:

No, I won't be there this week. I'll be there in mid-December. Please let me know how your home search goes!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 AM

8,461 posts, read 10,824,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
Yummmmmmmm!! *takes notes*

Wait...drive-thru dairy??

I'm so glad you were able to make peace with it.
Drive-thru dairy is at the SE corner of W Ridgecrest Blvd and S Norma St. They have fountain drinks, freezees, nacho-cheese stuffed pretzels (mmm, more bread and cheese ), other assorted not quite fast-food quality items, and they may even sell milk (lol I don't recall). It's usually packed when it's hot.

I'm glad I was able to make peace too. I actually miss the place (no, not going back).

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Dec 13, 2010

I think it's just because I'm tired, but I'm scared and nervous and an emotional mess. My mind is doing all these "what ifs" such as "what if we both hate it here" or "what if I hate my job" etc etc etc. So, I went into Rite Aid with the excuse of buying an air freshener (it smells like someone killed a skunk outside the hotel and the heater keeps bringing in the scent) just so I could see something familiar.

The Rite Aid is right next to the Bank of America, so that's convenient. I'm all flummoxed tonight, with no idea what my first step is tomorrow. There needs to be an order to things, so I just have to sit down in the morning when my head is clear.

I took the scenic route. I got off of I-5 at Route 59, then down 99 to 178. DO NOT TAKE THIS WITH A TRUCK. It's mega switchbacks, narrow roads and steep grades. Plus, guys like my brother-in-law are on your butt the entire time because they're in cars that can corner like they're on rails, and I'm in a friggin' SUV with a higher center of gravity. :P The road follows the Kern River and goes up through Walker Pass (5,000 feet) and back down. There was snow. BEAUTIFUL drive, though. Small waterfalls, reflective pools, huge boulders.

Now the room smells like skunk and raspberries.

Tomorrow, I try to call some Realtors and see if they actually answer their phones better than they do email.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I think it's just because I'm tired, but I'm scared and nervous and an emotional mess. My mind is doing all these "what ifs" such as "what if we both hate it here" or "what if I hate my job" etc etc etc.
I've done that before (during, after) every move, and there are reasons why I haven't regretted any of them. You'll be fine either way, Ridgecrest does only have three ways out, but all three are readily available.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I've done that before (during, after) every move, and there are reasons why I haven't regretted any of them. You'll be fine either way, Ridgecrest does only have three ways out, but all three are readily available.
Hahahhahahah, thanks David.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM

Dec 15, 2011

Well, I'm all signed up for my employment (I think I have carpal tunnel from all the paperwork, haha) AND I just signed the credit check application for a lease on a 4 bedroom house in the Heritage area. Tara at Best Realty was very sweet and forthcoming about drawbacks to some of the homes I was looking at, which was very helpful. While we were standing in the driveway of the home I decided to lease, the lady next door came out and enthusiastically asked if I was going to lease. She introduced herself and we chatted for a little bit. So, if the credit check goes through (which should be no problem) and the homeowner agrees to my lease, then I'll officially be a resident of Ridgecrest!! **spins**

The sunrise this morning took my breath away. I'm hoping the clouds clear tonight so I can see the ending of the meteor shower.

While my brother-in-law and I were driving around earlier today, we were all over town and we passed the same lady several times. She was driving about 5 miles an hour, with her flashers on, just slowly heading in one direction and then another. We saw her on China Lake. We saw her on Norma. We saw her on another street going the other direction. Very odd, haha.

Saw a HUGE flock of snow geese fly overhead this morning. Glorious!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Dec 15, 2011

Well, I'm all signed up for my employment (I think I have carpal tunnel from all the paperwork, haha) AND I just signed the credit check application for a lease on a 4 bedroom house in the Heritage area. Tara at Best Realty was very sweet and forthcoming about drawbacks to some of the homes I was looking at, which was very helpful. While we were standing in the driveway of the home I decided to lease, the lady next door came out and enthusiastically asked if I was going to lease. She introduced herself and we chatted for a little bit. So, if the credit check goes through (which should be no problem) and the homeowner agrees to my lease, then I'll officially be a resident of Ridgecrest!! **spins**

The sunrise this morning took my breath away. I'm hoping the clouds clear tonight so I can see the ending of the meteor shower.

While my brother-in-law and I were driving around earlier today, we were all over town and we passed the same lady several times. She was driving about 5 miles an hour, with her flashers on, just slowly heading in one direction and then another. We saw her on China Lake. We saw her on Norma. We saw her on another street going the other direction. Very odd, haha.

Saw a HUGE flock of snow geese fly overhead this morning. Glorious!
All good to hear, and you'll see things like that lady in Ridgecrest sometimes.

Drive out to a dirt road in Inyokern at night sometime. It's like looking at a star map.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
All good to hear, and you'll see things like that lady in Ridgecrest sometimes.

Drive out to a dirt road in Inyokern at night sometime. It's like looking at a star map.
I got an 11-16mm wide angle lens as an early Christmas present, so I can't wait to do some astrophotography!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Default The Road to Ridgecrest

Took this on my way from Ridgecrest to Las Vegas this morning.

http://www.wildmaven.org/mmurdoch/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/desert11.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California