U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How many Californians cannot survive without a cell phone?
Don't have a cell phone and life is still fine 10 31.25%
Couldn't make it without my cell phone even if unemployed 9 28.13%
Could give it up but would go through major withdrawals 12 37.50%
Don't have a cell phone but plan to get one soon 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I bet those using horse and buggy had a lot to say about automobiles when they first became widespread.

Anyhow, to say it again, this is just a story of a older cohort being critical of change. As people age they become more and more entrenched in their particular view of the world....
Yawn, these silly statements are simply n/a based on some preconceived notion you have about ppl over your own age, whatever that may be. But you're wrong. I work with modern tech every day and use more than most in my job as well at home when I find it useful. I also know younger ppl who aren't engrossed with these phones as well elderly who own them. And I work with peers of similar ages who are crazy about the things. Cell phones/smart phones are used across many demographics, not just by some uber cool, tech nerd generation which you think you are apart of.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,473,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yawn, these silly statements are simply n/a based on some preconceived notion you have about ppl over your own age, whatever that may be.
You're just filled with irony aren't you? You're ignoring what I"m saying and instead trying to explain it away with some preconceived idea how youth think about technology. Further, because I say things that appear to match your preconceived idea you've concluded that I'm part of this cohort as well.

Quote:
But you're wrong. I work with modern tech every day and use more than most in my job as well at home when I find it useful.
I'm wrong because you work with "modern tech"? How does that follow? My claim is that people, as they age, become increasingly critical of new technologies that they didn't grow up around. "modern tech" is no longer new, those 45 or so and younger grew up with computers, etc. Certainly things have advanced over the years, but the basic functions haven't.

Quote:
Cell phones/smart phones are used across many demographics, not just by some uber cool, tech nerd generation which you think you are apart of.
Its strange the degree to which you insist that I'm part of a particular cohort all based on your particular caricature of this cohort, its particularly puzzling considering given my comments about my own usage of these technologies.

So I'll say it again, I just recently (as in a few months ago) purchased a smart-phone. I haven't installed a single "app", I never text, etc. Why'd I get it? Primary because I wanted to better understand the technology. But I'm finding it enjoyable to be able to look up things on the spot, in the morning I can look up stock quotes, the news, without turning on a computer. Yes clearly I think I'm part of the "tech nerd generation"......

Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times
"a(n) older cohort being critical of change" being told that on the internet while using computers...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM

1,568 posts, read 646,023 times
How old am I? Do you know? I don't know how old you are. What does it matter?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
How old am I? Do you know? I don't know how old you are. What does it matter?
Exactly, age has nothing to do with it. But its not worth arguing over either = waste of time.

Derek

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM

What's so pure about only talking to people on a device tied to a string and plugged into your wall?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
What's so pure about only talking to people on a device tied to a string and plugged into your wall?
Nothing, except you have a cleaner connection much of the time. This is more dependant on cell tower proximity and carrier. Some are worse than others. And if there is a disaster of some kind with no power you can still use the land line.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,633,447 times
The entitlement attitude of Americans never ceases to amaze me. There are a lot of Californians that are homeless right now, freezing in the cold. Surviving without a cell phone, give me a break. For the record, the last cell phone I had was work required, and that was back in 2004. I have not had a cell phone for the last 7 years, yet my heart is still beating. Don't ask me how...

Old 11-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing, except you have a cleaner connection much of the time. This is more dependant on cell tower proximity and carrier. Some are worse than others. And if there is a disaster of some kind with no power you can still use the land line.
Why not use a rotary phone?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times
I find few conversations with cellphone users bearable for more than a couple of minutes. They either sound as if they're underwater or words disappear due to signal issues. Then there's the always annoying "they just disappeared". Anyone who wants to call me for anything longer than a brief conversation is advised to take it to either a landline (like I'm using) or something less susceptible to the vagaries of the crappy mobile phone system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California