Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Good points so far everyone.

I personally know of a public school teacher who is homeschooling her children. Yikes, what does that tell you?
How about the ones that send their kids to private school. There are five of those kids in my 8th graders class at the Catholic School she attends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:17 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
The Public Schools are usually only as good as the students and culture that surrounds the school. When you have a cultural mindset that doesn't value education, discipline or intellectualism, you will get bad schools no matter how much money you pump in them.

The reason why public schools in wealthy areas have very high performance scores is because the students come from stable families who place a lot of emphasis on education and intellectualism.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post

The reason why public schools in wealthy areas have very high performance scores is because the students come from stable families who place a lot of emphasis on education and intellectualism.
More true in NorCal than SoCal.

The "cultural mindset that doesn't value education, discipline or intellectualism" is very common in SoCal's wealthy neighborhoods and towns. For example Newport Beach closing down libraries because "nobody reads". You'd never have something like that in similarly wealthy Marin or Peninsula towns.

Schools in wealthy neighborhoods tend to be safer (unless those schools are part of huge dysfunctional mega-sized school districts) but not always more oriented towards learning.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
The Public Schools are usually only as good as the students and culture that surrounds the school. When you have a cultural mindset that doesn't value education, discipline or intellectualism, you will get bad schools no matter how much money you pump in them.

The book Freakonomics goes into this idea in some detail. It exposes a variety of data the fundamentally concludes that the single most important factor predicting the academic performance of children is who their parents are. That matters more than school districts, teachers, spending per student, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cupertino still has excellent schools...
We lived in the school district for Monta Vista High School Monta Vista High School: Home Page in Cupertino - one of the best public schools in the state, or so they say.

All through elementary & middle school, our kids attended the private Harker School The Harker School instead of public schools, and we were considering switching to public school for high school, even though Harker is also among the very best of private schools.

So... I met with the principal & various members of the administration & faculty (individually over several weeks), basically to interview them to figure out if that school would be a good fit for our child.

I asked each of them in essence "What is your secret? You're among the best, and at the same time, the scores of students at high schools 12 to 15 miles east of here in San Jose are, well, bad."

Each of them independently said basically the same thing:

"The difference is the families & the emphasis they place on education:
  • Our Monta Vista student body is largely 1st generation Americans -- the parents emigrated from places such as China & Taiwan & India & Singapore & Germany.
  • The parents of our students are well educated - frequently both have PhDs in EE from prestigious universities in China or India etc
  • Frequently, the grandparents live in the house, too
  • English is not the primary language spoken at home.

And the poorly performing high schools across the valley?
  • Their student body is largely 1st generation Americans -- the parents emigrated from places such as Mexico, Guatemala & Honduras.
  • The parents of their students are not well educated.
  • Frequently, the grandparents live in the house, too.
  • English is not the primary language spoken at home.

"The parents of our student body demand excellence from their children. We even give it a name: HYPS Syndrome: If their child is not admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford, the parent's view their children as failures and their performance as an insult against their ancestors.

"In contrast, across the valley, the parent's view of education is, well, less ambitious. If their child actually graduates from high school, they view it as success -- the first of their line to graduate."

Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
In other words: Elites breed elites.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
... All that aside, what's your take on the fact a that we spend twice as much on prisons than public education alone? ...
Here's my take on this fact. Schools are funded in part by property taxes; to increase property taxes requires a vote of millions of people across the state (at the school district level).

Prison guards are funded by the general fund, and so all that is required is for the prison guard union successfully to negotiate with a few & to have it ratified by a handful in Sacramento.

The real travesty is the undue influence prison guard unions have. Under certain circumstances, prison guards can retire at age 45 with 90% of their compensation for life (with COLA, of course), and double-dip by taking other lucrative state jobs. While it is rare, there are even triple-dippers out there.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
In other words: Elites breed elites.
I don't think this has anything to do with breeding. What do you mean by elite? I think educated parents tend to value education, and self-select areas with good schools. Those schools naturally perform well. But I wouldn't call these people elite. These are the kind of people I live and work with and there is nothing elite about them.

The majority of super-wealthy people probably send their kids to private school, no matter where they live.

Last edited by hoffdano; 11-08-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with breeding. What do you mean by elite? I think educated parents tend to value education, and self-select areas with good schools. Those schools naturally perform well. But I wouldn't call these people elite. These are the kind of people I live and work with and there is nothing elite about them.

The majority of super-wealthy people probably send their kids to private school, no matter where they live.
+1 on your response. ...correlation does not equal causation .. critical thinking skills was a key lesson many adults seem to have missed out in school... Much to their detriment in understanding the world around them .. It's scary that people with such mindsets have equal votes in terms of policy.. All to often, given their inability to understand things get con'd into supporting things that actually hurt them .. In many ways this demonstrates the importance of education and continued education.. Something far more valuable than money.. for a fool and their money are soon parted anyway.

Elite.. LOL, i refuse to acknowledge anyone as elite.. I don't care how rich you are or who the hell you are .. You're a human being just like everyone else.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 AM

296 posts, read 614,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The book Freakonomics goes into this idea in some detail. It exposes a variety of data the fundamentally concludes that the single most important factor predicting the academic performance of children is who their parents are. That matters more than school districts, teachers, spending per student, etc.

Can you elaborate? "Who" the parents are, or what the parents do for a living, or what the parents do wrt the child's education...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California