Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 PM

142 posts, read 754,628 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice Mokinoie. Everytime I've visited L.A. I've flown, but a friend of mine recently drove there, and it took her 33 hours of actual driving... so I calculate about the same.

Wow Financedot, that's a lot of money! Maybe it's not even worth driving it LOL PLEASE let me know about car insurance... I'm curious on that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 34,412 times
If u are from out of state, do you have to take a written test if u currently have a license in another state?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 217,670 times
Yes you do have to take a written test

Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 AM

22 posts, read 217,670 times
The insurance went up about $300 per year. I am using AMICA

Old 12-02-2007, 11:45 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
Hey ya'll!

I'm planning on relocating to Los Angeles by July 2008 from Texas. I was at first planning to buy a new car (finance) once I moved there, but after reading many posts here, I can see that finances become a burden for most people once they move. So I was thinking that I'll probably drive my car and use it for a few months before I get a new one.

My question is, has anybody here gone through this process? My car is a 2000 Dodge Neon (reason why I was planning on getting a new one once I moved). Is the process (to change the plates to California plates) very costly? Will my car have to undergo certain changes to meet California regulations?

I just want to know if it's worth driving it from here or just flying and buying a new car. I'm not rich, and I have to try to save on everything I can.

Thanks loads in advance for your answers.
you're lucky that you didn't move to calif in the early 90s! back then there was a $300 out-of-state transfer fee for the "privilege" of registering your car in calif. registering your car does not cost as much these days thanks to gov schwarzi (one of the few good things that he's done). you will have to get a smog check and a drivers' license of course. when you get the drivers' license, they will usually take your old one away from you. so if you have anything coming up where you need a picture id, don't forget to use your passport as a backup.

if i were you, i'd keep your tx plates for as long as you can! the reason is that insurance costs are very high depending on which zip code that you use for insurance purposes. if you live in a densely populated area like west hollywood (90046), be prepared to pay thru the nose for insurance! in the 7 years that i lived there, i had 2 break-ins and one fender bender. i HAD to use my friend's zip in el monte just to be able to AFFORD auto insurance. IN texas, there are MANY speed traps everywhere to supply incomes for worthless towns. in so cal, there are MANY "parking traps", b/c of the very limited parking avblty in some areas. when you have a calif plate, you MUST pay these tix if guilty or else they will put a "hold" on re-registering your calif vehicle when it comes time to renew. when you have an out-of-state plate, there is NOTHING for them to hold. you can just smile when you get a ticket as long as you don't get too many. each city, town has a max that you can get before you get hit with the dreaded "boot". you cannot move the car with the boot on there and in some cases may pay a tow co also. when the boot happens, you must pay ALL of your outst tix.

matters of survival to a fellow texan moving to so calif:

master the unprotected left turns by PUTTING your car in the MIDDLE of the intersection when it's your turn to go left against oncoming traffic. this is not something that we are used to. if there are cameras, don't worry about them. if you are already in the intersection, this is not an offense.

ALWAYS read all signage wherever you park!~ b/c of the limited parking, there will be areas limited to residents only. you may also be able to park only betw certain hours and then limited to 2 hrs or so. you usually don't have to feed the meters on sunday. don't look like a dork by feeding them on sunday.

carry uninsured motorist protection due to the high # that can't afford inusrance and of course the illegals.

you don't have to worry so much about speeding b/c the huge amt of traffic normally will keep you down to 20 mph anyway plus the quantity of other drivers on the road.

jaywalking is an offense here. i once paid $78 for doing it.

be sure and stop for people at the marked crosswalks, examples of the civility of so cal.

good luck 2u

Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM

142 posts, read 754,628 times
Thanks so much WeHoTex! I've been told to keep my Texas plates for as long as I can, but it's kind of scary doing it; I'm not used to doing things like that :-)

Thanks loads for everything and those tips are great!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 14,906 times
Default Transfer Vehicle Ownership

I Received A Car As A Gift And Need To Transfer Vehicle Ownership In Los Angeles, California. It Says That I Have To Do This Within 7 Days. Just Out Of Curiousity, What Happens If I Don't Do It Within That Time?

Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
You pay more...

Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times
I don't remember the exact rules, but it's something like if your car has more than 7,500 miles on it you don't have to pay the typical California taxes and registration or something like that. I am sure that like above has more info.

I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima. I paid late and I ended up paying $150 or so, plus smog test, to register. It's not a big deal.

Where in Texas are you coming from? I came from Dallas and it's a 24 hour trip at most. I once drove it straight through. I stopped and took a couple of one hour naps along the way. Stopped at a Target to pick up a few gifts, and arrived at my parents' place in just about 24 hours exactly.

I just can't see how it would take 33 hours, unless you're including the time you spend sleeping in a hotel.

As far as getting tickets, do not ignore them, even if you have your Texas plates. I tried this. Doesn't work. You'll be fined the maximum if you don't pay by the due dates, and they WILL find you. I even got a collection notice from Dallas for a parking ticket I got a few years back, AFTER I had registered my car in California.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
I wouldn't recommend driving a car with OOS plates. I've been told directly by one officer, and heard several other stories that CHP and LAPD target OOS lic. plates on purpose.

Might as well paint a target on the back of your car that says "Ticket me!"

I do however recommend keeping an OOS drivers license if you're legally savvy enough to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California