U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,030,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Anyone who thinks that California, the finest 163,696 sq mi of real estate, weather, and fertile farmland in North America is going to go ghetto -- well, isn't thinking ... [...]
The same in analogous terms could once be said of Haiti or Rhodesia. How much do you know about the history of those countries?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Status: ""My dad is better than your dad" - City vs City Forum" (set 19 days ago)

5,961 posts, read 3,549,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
The same in analogous terms could once be said of Haiti or Rhodesia. How much do you know about the history of those countries?
Haiti's mountainous terrain is terrible for agriculture, probably the largest of its many roadblocks to long-term prosperity, and in no way compares to California's agricultural climate. Zimbabwe's issues are political, and unless the US Constitution is thrown out in the near future, it is also not comparable to California's situation.
Terrible comparisons all around.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,322,640 times
Quote:
Yeah, um, not even close by any measure whatsoever for comparison ... in fact: ridiculous. You clearly know nothing of history -- and have no capacitiy for rational analysis either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Haiti's mountainous terrain is terrible for agriculture, probably the largest of its many roadblocks to long-term prosperity, and in no way compares to California's agricultural climate. Zimbabwe's issues are political, and unless the US Constitution is thrown out in the near future, it is also not comparable to California's situation.
Terrible comparisons all around.
Yes. +1 -- And you've not much more than scratched the surface of the differences. Neither Haiti nor Rhodesia have devolved to their present conditions from having once been developed with intensive modern infrastructure, nor been flourishing centers of sophisticated cultural civilization, agriculture, technology, finance, education, and every type of international innovation.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM

25,103 posts, read 32,614,233 times
Quote:
Why dont u just spit it out?

What do you think would happen to Whites who choose to remain in California?

You yourself made the statement that it was 'obvious' what would happen but you never really said what exactly would happen?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Status: ""My dad is better than your dad" - City vs City Forum" (set 19 days ago)

5,961 posts, read 3,549,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why dont u just spit it out?

What do you think would happen to Whites who choose to remain in California?

You yourself made the statement that it was 'obvious' what would happen but you never really said what exactly would happen?
Our recessive Caucasoid genes will be wiped out by the continual browning of the state, causing an inconcievable apocalypse which was merely touched upon in films such as Terminator and Escape from LA.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM

25,103 posts, read 32,614,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural510 View Post
our recessive caucasoid genes will be wiped out by the continual browning of the state, causing an inconcievable apocalypse which was merely touched upon in films such as terminator and escape from la.
lol

Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,439,364 times
Quote:
Both countries were ruled by white elites backed up by the force of arms. The peasantry was kept in actual bondage in Haiti, and virtual bondage in Southern Rhodesia.

To equate that with the millions of hard working Californians of Non Euro descent, who share in the American dream and whose children can and have grown up to share in the power and wealth along side Euro descendants, is a false equation

Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,322,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I think he is trying to say that Detroit is reinventing itself .. and, if successful, the yield for those who dared defied the odds far outweighs that which could occur here .. and thus, you have a rather different situation in history.. that didn't historically have technology .. the internet which year over year breaks down physical barriers .. and further democratizes power and opportunity across the world.

Every day I see San Francisco further gentrified .. Every year the affordability becomes less and with that culture/art and the many things that make San Francisco beautiful disappear ...

I hear as of late .. this is all moving to oakland.. how long before that is gentrified too .. Last year, while on vacation, I ran into many California transplants.. Talked with the owner of a hipster like beer bar in that place .. from California .. Sushi restaurant owner from California.. Common theme .. they were traveled people... friends all over the U.S .. tough times and shrinking margins.. friends suggested giving it a shot in a particular place.. they did .. margins are great.. they see their business 'growing' .. and enjoy taking part from the ground floor in a growing city....

Cali will be fine.. could give 2 sh*ts about it once a move is made .. but people elsewhere will be too .. and are loving the opportunity to take part "from the ground floor" in what was more widely available : the american dream .. living a good middle class life .. working and doing what makes them happy and having the fruits from their success going quite far instead of nowhere due to high commercial property rent .. COL/taxation/etc.
I know what he's saying.

Detroit IS trying to re-invent itself (and having some possible success -- time will tell if it can be lasting -- but hats off) ... one cousin of mine -- who I share an apartment with in Calif. part-time -- also was born and raised in Detroit and continues to spend time each year working there, and reports to me. He actually still likes the city a great deal.

And what you describe overall is a perfectly appropriate picture of cycles of growth and change and adjustment in America. There is opportunity there, no doubt ... a fun project for youthful exuberance ... I applaud it.

And California still does not require re-invention in the same sense or degree. California is to America as America is to the world. For all its challenges and threats, it remains a remarkable, leading center of culture, education, and innovation -- and just pure intensive character of the first order. Plus, California has the nation's most fertile soils for producing the healthiest of foods. Can't beat the place with a stick. (and I didn't even mention the weather )

Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

14,072 posts, read 25,970,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Very interesting statistics. Did African Americans diffuse into the other bay area cities? Or leave the area, or the state?
I can only speak to the dozen or so families I know that moved.

Six were retired and moved back to the South where they had family and friends and in some cases property.

Three moved to San Leandro.

Two to Hayward.

One to Tracy.

The other think I noticed is that every home that had been African American was sold to Hispanic families...

Doesn't prove anything, only my observation.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 AM

9,005 posts, read 5,720,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
As am I, but I live now near Arroyo Grande.

Now, by Yucca Corridor? San Berdoo?
Oh its a neighborhood in Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California