U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

20 posts, read 14,459 times
Question Returning to CA, Good City for Rent/Jobs

I'll be returning to CA after a year abroad and need to find a job and a cheap apartment asap. I'm from Vallejo, but it's pretty much dead, and I don't know much about cities outside of the Bay Area. I've heard that Sacramento rent is cheaper, so I'm focusing my job search there, but I'd like other suggestions in case that doesn't pan out.

I need someplace at least moderately warm, so North Ca is out. I'd rather not venture too far from the Bay Area, but I'm willing if there are good job prospects there. I have had a terrible time finding a job my whole life, and I don't have anything solid and long-term on my resumé. I have a B.S. in Physics, some military experience (as a mechanic), and a couple research internships, but most of my job experience is in college-level math tutoring. I really dislike tutoring and public service jobs in general, and want to try to get something IT related that pays the bills (I also have some IT coursework, but no solid job experience). I prefer something laid-back and less than full time (25-30) hours, but I know that will not be easy to find. Really, I'm willing to work my way up from anything that is not dangerous, utterly repetitive, requires large amounts of interpersonal contact or a long commute, or pays pennies.

It is vital that I do not have a roommate, so high rent is a no-go. A small, unfurnished 1 bd apt. in a neighborhood where I can walk by myself at night is fine. I have a car, but do not like to drive, and prefer a bike-friendly town with reliable public transportation. I'm single with no kids, and would like something lesbian-friendly. It doesn't have to be the most happening place in the world. I would be ok living in a town full of senior citizens as long as there were a few recreational things to do, maybe a couple places to meet/take 25-40 y.o. women. There needs to be some amount of grass/trees (maybe even water) around, the more the better. I don't want to live in one of those 100% concrete towns. Also, some amount of racial diversity.

Thanks.

Last edited by starkid; 11-11-2011 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM

156 posts, read 168,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkid View Post
I'll be returning to CA after a year abroad and need to find a job and a cheap apartment asap. I'm from Vallejo, but it's pretty much dead, and I don't know much about cities outside of the Bay Area. I've heard that Sacramento rent is cheaper, so I'm focusing my job search there, but I'd like other suggestions in case that doesn't pan out.

I need someplace at least moderately warm, so North Ca is out. I'd rather not venture too far from the Bay Area, but I'm willing if there are good job prospects there. I have had a terrible time finding a job my whole life, and I don't have anything solid and long-term on my resumé. I have a B.S. in Physics, some military experience (as a mechanic), and a couple research internships, but most of my job experience is in college-level math tutoring. I really dislike tutoring and public service jobs in general, and want to try to get something IT related that pays the bills (I also have some IT coursework, but no solid job experience). I prefer something laid-back and less than full time (25-30) hours, but I know that will not be easy to find. Really, I'm willing to work my way up from anything that is not dangerous, utterly repetitive, requires large amounts of interpersonal contact or a long commute, or pays pennies.

It is vital that I do not have a roommate, so high rent is a no-go. A small, unfurnished 1 bd apt. in a neighborhood where I can walk by myself at night is fine. I have a car, but do not like to drive, and prefer a bike-friendly town with reliable public transportation. I'm single with no kids, and would like something lesbian-friendly. It doesn't have to be the most happening place in the world. I would be ok living in a town full of senior citizens as long as there were a few recreational things to do, maybe a couple places to meet/take 25-40 y.o. women. There needs to be some amount of grass/trees (maybe even water) around, the more the better. I don't want to live in one of those 100% concrete towns. Also, some amount of racial diversity.

Thanks.
none

Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,162,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabguy View Post
none
That's an obnoxious response especially since she put some time into expressing what she's looking for.
And i won't say "none" since i don't know what here rental budget is.
Starkid, what can you afford for a rental?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM

156 posts, read 168,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
That's an obnoxious response especially since she put some time into expressing what she's looking for.
And i won't say "none" since i don't know what here rental budget is.
disregard,
the way the economy is and how expensive the areas she prefers are pretty much slim.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:26 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,279,777 times
Quote:

Thanks.
You have a degree in physics and you have military experience (security clearance)? You are a decent candidate for an aerospace company and based on your desirements, you could work on a test team. Check out jobs at Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and Lockheed.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I expect $650-$700 per month to be the highest I can afford, for my first few months, at least.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You have a degree in physics and you have military experience (security clearance)? You are a decent candidate for an aerospace company and based on your desirements, you could work on a test team. Check out jobs at Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and Lockheed.
Seriously? I thought there were a ton of aerospace engineers around who would easily outrank me for that sort of job.

I had secret clearance...as an aircraft mechanic, ironically. I finished tech school but didn't get much experience due to a medical issue that got me discharged.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,162,717 times
Quote:
I expect $650-$700 per month to be the highest I can afford, for my first few months, at least.

I was going to recommend somewhere in the Monterey Bay area although rental prices are outrageous but you can get lucky.
Santa Cruz and county is very lesbian friendly (tolerant of any and all differences).
If you've been in the military and you're street-wise and not wimpy / scared, Watsonville may be a good place for you which is not to say that it's a place where you have to be constantly on guard ... not at all.
It's just a little more "rough around the edges" than other areas.
It's in Santa Cruz county and actually there are a lot of good parts of Watsonville but people tend to be bias toward it as there is some gang activity and there's a higher percentage of Mexican Americans and people have attitudes.
I like Watsonville and you can find rentals that are less expensive than in the rest of the county and much of it is quite nice.
The county is very bike friendly and the bus system is excellent.
And all buses have easy on / easy off bike racks so you can bus and bike as you like.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Watsonville may be a good place for you which is not to say that it's a place where you have to be constantly on guard ... not at all.
It's just a little more "rough around the edges" than other areas.
Yeah, I'm a bit familiar with Watsonville since I went to school at UCSC, but it didn't seem like there were many job opportunities there. I'll look into that, thanks.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 PM

2,722 posts, read 1,605,497 times
How about Fremont for cheap rents and access to public transportation, with a relatively short commute to IT employers and warm climate? Sacramento seems like a great fit, too, for everything you list except your job hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California