Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 38,805 times

Advertisements

lol when I came back to this thread.

Im in Industrial Engineering, which IMO is actually a busines major. I just feel like I would be a better fit in the business school as thats what I want to be doing in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM

171 posts, read 670,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoaRRin View Post
I am currently a new transfer student at Cal Poly Pomona. I do not like it. primarily because I am in engineering and it seems like all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority, while I am white. I am not sure if this demographic and style of people will be consistent in all engineering programs.

I have heard that SLO students are more ritzy, upper class, snobbish, sophisticated, etc.....Not sure if this will be true in the engineering department. I plan on riding up there to check out the town on Thanksgiving. I know its probably gonna be a bad time to get a true veiw of the place. I also love traveling, so everything new is always awesome and fascinating to me.

One thing I might have a problem with is that I like living in an urban setting, especially big metropolitan cities. I hate the countryside and would only consider living there if I had a significant other or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
You say you're a new transfer, how did you come to choose Cal Poly- Pomona?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM

11 posts, read 65,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoaRRin View Post
I am currently a new transfer student at Cal Poly Pomona. I do not like it. primarily because I am in engineering and it seems like all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority, while I am white. I am not sure if this demographic and style of people will be consistent in all engineering programs.

I have heard that SLO students are more ritzy, upper class, snobbish, sophisticated, etc.....Not sure if this will be true in the engineering department. I plan on riding up there to check out the town on Thanksgiving. I know its probably gonna be a bad time to get a true veiw of the place. I also love traveling, so everything new is always awesome and fascinating to me.

One thing I might have a problem with is that I like living in an urban setting, especially big metropolitan cities. I hate the countryside and would only consider living there if I had a significant other or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
I graduated computer science at Cal Poly SLO. Not sure about these days, but back in 99-02 when I was there, my classmates were largely of the nerd variety. I longed to be even in the math dept where the scenery was far easier on the eyes. Outside the college of engineering looks and personalities flourished.

If you like an urban setting then SLO will disappoint. It's very clean, quiet and is surrounded by green rolling hills, hiking trails, and is close to nice beaches. Too bad you're choosing between SLO and Pomona because it sounds like neither will really fit your bill.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
I'm an art major and most of the art major students are EXTREMELY liberal. I don't get it.

/durrrrrrrrrrr

Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM

364 posts, read 617,967 times
Just out of curiosity, why is "snobby" always considered a BAD thing....

1.) I've never been robbed by a snobby criminal

2.) My snobby neighbors generally keep their yards in good shape supporting my property value.

3.) Most snobs work and pay taxes to support non-snobs

4.) Most snobs are not interested in you or your business, they just want to be left alone....hence the term snob.

How exactly is a panhandling rastafarien better in any way to live next too??????

Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
When I was in College, I met a girl, who became my girlfriend. She was married to an engineering major. One night at a party of the engineering majors she looked around and realized she would spend the rest of her life around these guys.
So she left him.
Nice. Sounds like a shallow chick who should have done her homework before marrying. It's about as good as the story I heard of a Chico woman who "married a cowboy because she thought they liked animals, and then divorced him a year later because they didn't have that in common." Stories like this sound only a hair less annoying than the Kardashian wedding and divorce.

The the OP: If you value living in an urban center, then stay at Pomona. If you don't like country, you may not like SLO. SLO is definitely whiter, though white folks from all over the state and different socioeconomic strata go there. I don't know how the rankings go. I know they consider SLO better than Pomona for architecture, but I think they are comparable in terms of engineering. Maybe you're worried that if you hang around Pomona engineers too long, you'll start omitting the articles in front your nouns. LOL.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
I would consider SLO urban, but not as urban as Pomona.

We have high rise hotels in downtown SLO, buildings up to 75 ft tall, many restaurants, bars open late, four story apartments and mixed use buildings, and plenty of other city amenities.

And yes, SLO has more wealth here than Pomona. And not everyone is a snob.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
SLO is more likely to have nerdy, socially awkward engineering students simply because its demographic is younger than Pomona. Also, Pomona has the advantage that engineering internships are more plentiful in the LA area than in SLO.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Pomona:
-150,000 population
-commuter school
-larger, but poorer downtown
-more Hispanics, Asians-Americans, African Americans
-Wal-Mart shopping center nearby
-close to LA and Disneyland
-more internships
-higher crime rates including car thefts and muggings

San Luis Obispo:
-45,000 population
-not a commuter school
-smaller, but wealthier downtown
-85% Caucasian, 15% Hispanic, even less percents for other ethnicities
(Actual college has higher percentage of Hispanics and Asians)
-close to beach and hiking
-low crime rates

I know Cal Poly SLO is ranked as the third most public college in the USA. The three top competitive colleges are all in California.

Cal Poly SLO is known for it's strong engineering majors and also to an extent it's agriculture and architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California