U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 27,904 times

Advertisements

I am currently a new transfer student at Cal Poly Pomona. I do not like it. primarily because I am in engineering and it seems like all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority, while I am white. I am not sure if this demographic and style of people will be consistent in all engineering programs.

I have heard that SLO students are more ritzy, upper class, snobbish, sophisticated, etc.....Not sure if this will be true in the engineering department. I plan on riding up there to check out the town on Thanksgiving. I know its probably gonna be a bad time to get a true veiw of the place. I also love traveling, so everything new is always awesome and fascinating to me.

One thing I might have a problem with is that I like living in an urban setting, especially big metropolitan cities. I hate the countryside and would only consider living there if I had a significant other or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,335,770 times
Quote:
I have heard that SLO students are more ritzy, upper class, snobbish, sophisticated, etc...
Quote:
I hate the countryside and would only consider living there if I had a significant other or something along those lines.
You do know that Cal Poly SLO has long been known as Cow Piley. It is full of aggies and horse people and really really cute cowgirls.

As far as ritzy and snobby, my daughter was just given a pair of ear rings from her boy friend, from Tiffany's. They go well with her Carhartt Jacket and Jeep.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 AM

13,857 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoaRRin View Post
I have heard that SLO students are...more sophisticated, etc. I hate the countryside and would only consider living there if I had a significant other or something along those lines.
San Luis Obispo itself is beautiful. One of our son's closest friend graduated from there a few years ago and loved it; the daughter of friends graduated this year and found a job immediately there. The campus and city do have a rural feel; I have never thought of Cal Poly SLO students as sophisticated, even back when my friends attended in the 1970s. Cal Poly Pomona probably does have a lot more foreign and minority students than the SLO campus.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
I am in engineering and it seems like all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority, while I am white. I am not sure if this demographic and style of people will be consistent in all engineering programs.
It is and they are.

Quote:
all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward
What do engineers use for birth control?
Spoiler

Their personalities.

Here's a photo I snapped.

I was one of the few Americans in my UC Santa Barbara graduate engineering classes. Out of about maybe 20 kids per class there were (just guessing) eight from east Asia (China? Taiwan?), eight from SW Asia (India, Pakistan?) and one or two Europeans and two or three Americans.

I snapped a photo of one of my Computer Engineering classes (and the prof was Behrooz Parhami from Iran).

See what I'm writing about? The white guy with the long hair on the far left was from Germany. The two other white guys in the front, Mike and Kip, were from California. Pretty much the rest were from east of the Mediterranean.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:47 AM

268 posts, read 707,799 times
Quote:
I am currently a new transfer student at Cal Poly Pomona. I do not like it. primarily because I am in engineering and it seems like all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority, while I am white. I am not sure if this demographic and style of people will be consistent in all engineering programs.

I have heard that SLO students are more ritzy, upper class, snobbish, sophisticated, etc.....Not sure if this will be true in the engineering department. I plan on riding up there to check out the town on Thanksgiving. I know its probably gonna be a bad time to get a true veiw of the place. I also love traveling, so everything new is always awesome and fascinating to me.

One thing I might have a problem with is that I like living in an urban setting, especially big metropolitan cities. I hate the countryside and would only consider living there if I had a significant other or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
You will not like SLO.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 AM

171 posts, read 564,087 times
Pomona is like the red-headed step child to Cal Poly SLO, it's the more recognized name academically, it's the more popular school and has a better reputation. There is nothing wrong with Pomona, but SLO is the better known of the two. Also, SLO is a GREAT town for a college kid, you're at the beach, the weather is pristine, the people are cool.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM

4,028 posts, read 8,297,103 times
Quote:
primarily because I am in engineering and it seems like all the other engineering students are nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority, while I am white. I am not sure if this demographic and style of people will be consistent in all engineering programs.

Are you serious? Have you ever worked for a company that employs engineers?

I'm pretty sure if there was a definition of engineer on urban dictionary, it would read like this:

Engineer : nerdy, socially awkward and of some sort of minority

Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM

1,909 posts, read 1,888,016 times
I work with a few Cal Poly SLO engineers, they all are great guys, and good friends.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,929,513 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Switch majors.

[dude...it's engineering]

Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,335,770 times
When I was in College, I met a girl, who became my girlfriend. She was married to an engineering major. One night at a party of the engineering majors she looked around and realized she would spend the rest of her life around these guys.
So she left him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California