Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,016,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Do you think the issues of the usurpation of the American economy by a self-appointed neo-feudal sub-culture royalty are less significant than the protests in other countries?
I'm not talking about the "issues", I'm talking about what they are doing. What they are doing is not effective...its a waste of time. And in terms of protests, its not even comparable to the other cases the article is discussing. But NPR is just another joke media organization, what do you expect?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,961,068 times
"To protect and serve" is a good motto to have. I don't know if it's just LAPD's, but it should be one criterion reflected upon before resorting to pepper spray on a bunch of folks sitting on a sidewalk.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:39 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times
Did you hear the kids chanting to the police, "Who do you protect? Who do you serve?. Pepper spraying nonviolent sitting protestors, shows that the police were in desperate need of reminding.

If either of my daughters needs to call campus police for reasons of personal safety, I do not want them hesitating, I want my daughters to be assured that the campus police are there to protect them, and to serve them.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,961,068 times
I actually didn't have the audio on and saw it once on the news. It's just the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it. Maybe there is transcendent thought.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Now your just getting personal. Too bad.
I see.
But referring to protestors as a bunch of whiny brats by comparing them to your children as toddlers is ok?
Suggesting that an 84-year-old peaceful protestor's complexion would benefit from the 'milk bath' she got to soothe her burning skin after being pepper-sprayed is ok?
Joking that "some tacos and carnitas with that pepper sauce" would be available to those students hit in the face with pepper spray is fine?
Proposing that peaceful protestors "were lucky they didn't get frigging night sticks cracked up the side of their brain baskets" is classy?
Taunting another poster with "A little cheese to go with your whine?"
etc.

Dawg, you are a military disciplinarian type of guy ... ex-cop, fits ... very careful and rigidly managed in every aspect of your life, seems like. Extreme control works well keeping life orderly, if not exactly artfully individualistic. I can appreciate, and even compliment you at times, on your apparent self-control. But your disdainful disapproval of others not as self-managed as you, and those whose ideologies clash with your dictatorial leanings, crosses some serious boundaries of good taste with regularity.

That said, my family would likely compare my rigidity and abrasiveness to yours. Perhaps it takes one to know one.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,680,406 times
Quote:
Those spoiled rotten brats got exactly what they wanted.

Oh boo hoo, shame on you.... LOL

Would you like some tacos and carnitas with that pepper sauce.

When they surrounded police they were lucky they didn't get frigging night sticks cracked up the side of their brain baskets.

What exactly did these "spoiled rotten brats" do to warrant being pepper sprayed in the face? All they did was block a sidewalk. They posed no threat to the campus police.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Our Constitution guarantees the citizens the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. I find it curious that those who claim to hold the constitution dear, deny whatever part of it they, at a particular moment disagree with.

The UC Davis Police Department used Pepper Spray on seated nonviolent students. These are not anarchists, commies, "hippie's. These are our children. Just to be admitted to UC Davis means they are among our brightest children. Now, I don't care about your politics, and I don't care about the occupy movement. But, our police should never ever use pepper spray on our children.
Shame on them.

Watching the whole video, you see students, by the force of moral authority, peacefully and nonviolently forced the police off the quad. Folks, peaceful protest, and peaceful dissent is what marks our country as the shining light for the rest of the world to emulate. The right to peacefully petition the government for redress of grievances is enshrined in our Constitution. The police were in the wrong, and they finally realized it.

Here they were referred to as spoiled brats, yet, these "brats" held their formation of peaceful sitting with locked arms in spite of a violent assault. That is not typical of "spoiled brats" but something any trained military formation would be expected to do. The bystanders had the ability to be violent as they far out numbered the police, they didn't. Any student who shouted out a derogatory phrase to the police was shut down by the nonviolent students. The students upheld the finest traditions of American peaceful protest. We should all be proud that we have raised citizens like them.

Bulldog, my son is a senior at Davis, he is not a radical, he is a mountain climber, now, this day at this time he did not get pepper sprayed, but what about tomorrow? What about Fresno State, and someone you know?

You don't pepper spray our children, period.
Could not have said it better myself.

I have two family members and many friends who have attended UC Davis. Watching the atrocious action by the campus police and the Chancellor's inaction struck a nerve in me.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm not talking about the "issues", I'm talking about what they are doing. What they are doing is not effective...its a waste of time. And in terms of protests, its not even comparable to the other cases the article is discussing. But NPR is just another joke media organization, what do you expect?
What "they are doing" has already, in only 2 months, had quite a powerful effect across the country, as evidenced by bank policy changes, political positionings, the GOP's recent hiring of a major lobbying firm -- for a very substantial fee -- to develop a P.R. campaign to counter the issues awareness and growing public opinion negative to Republican interests, and the growing voice of consultants to the financial industries and major corporations warning their clients that this movement is gaining momentum and effects will follow of great consequence.

NPR is a "joke media organization"? Nonsense.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I've watched over a dozen videos of the same incident from many different angles and news organizations that show the whole situation from beginning to end including those actions that precipitated the confrontation.

My view has not changed. I have been maced, pepper sprayed and tazed. None of them were pleasant experiences.

Again the requests from law enforcement were peaceful, calm and not unreasonable. Move or be moved. They choose not to be moved. Suffer the consequences.

Patriots? Not even close.

Patriots are not, these students exhibited the very essence of what it means to be an American. Our country was founded on the ideology of being free by protesting against the British rule.

Our American history is filled with history of violent and non-violent protests against the government and law enforcement. If we are supposed to conform to the demands of the government and law enforcement, there would be no Boston Tea Party that spurred the beginning of American Revolution. There would be no racial equality today due to the Civil Rights era spearheaded by MLK. There would be no protests against the Vietnam war. There would be no formation of the Tea Party protesting against big government.

A true conservative whose goal is to preserve the US Constitution would understand the right and freedom to have a peaceful assembly to protect a common interest, no matter if the reasons were right or wrong.

The most un-American thing a citizen can do is choose to determine whether or not a party should have that First Amendment right because it doesn't particular agree with their certain point of view or ideology.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
LOL.... Pepper spray is now considered a violent assault? Now I've heard everything.
Which means you've likely never been subjected to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California