Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,568,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I see.
But referring to protestors as a bunch of whiny brats by comparing them to your children as toddlers is ok?
Suggesting that an 84-year-old peaceful protestor's complexion would benefit from the 'milk bath' she got to soothe her burning skin after being pepper-sprayed is ok?
Joking that "some tacos and carnitas with that pepper sauce" would be available to those students hit in the face with pepper spray is fine?
Proposing that peaceful protestors "were lucky they didn't get frigging night sticks cracked up the side of their brain baskets" is classy?
Taunting another poster with "A little cheese to go with your whine?"
etc.

Dawg, you are a military disciplinarian type of guy ... ex-cop, fits ... very careful and rigidly managed in every aspect of your life, seems like. Extreme control works well keeping life orderly, if not exactly artfully individualistic. I can appreciate, and even compliment you at times, on your apparent self-control. But your disdainful disapproval of others not as self-managed as you, and those whose ideologies clash with your dictatorial leanings, crosses some serious boundaries of good taste with regularity.

That said, my family would likely compare my rigidity and abrasiveness to yours. Perhaps it takes one to know one.
I don't mince words and I never make direct under handed remarks about a posters family.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,904,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Our Constitution guarantees the citizens the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. I find it curious that those who claim to hold the constitution dear, deny whatever part of it they, at a particular moment disagree with.

The UC Davis Police Department used Pepper Spray on seated nonviolent students. These are not anarchists, commies, "hippie's. These are our children. Just to be admitted to UC Davis means they are among our brightest children. Now, I don't care about your politics, and I don't care about the occupy movement. But, our police should never ever use pepper spray on our children.
Shame on them.

Watching the whole video, you see students, by the force of moral authority, peacefully and nonviolently forced the police off the quad. Folks, peaceful protest, and peaceful dissent is what marks our country as the shining light for the rest of the world to emulate. The right to peacefully petition the government for redress of grievances is enshrined in our Constitution. The police were in the wrong, and they finally realized it.

Here they were referred to as spoiled brats, yet, these "brats" held their formation of peaceful sitting with locked arms in spite of a violent assault. That is not typical of "spoiled brats" but something any trained military formation would be expected to do. The bystanders had the ability to be violent as they far out numbered the police, they didn't. Any student who shouted out a derogatory phrase to the police was shut down by the nonviolent students. The students upheld the finest traditions of American peaceful protest. We should all be proud that we have raised citizens like them.

Bulldog, my son is a senior at Davis, he is not a radical, he is a mountain climber, now, this day at this time he did not get pepper sprayed, but what about tomorrow? What about Fresno State, and someone you know?

You don't pepper spray our children, period.
I have to agree with .highnlite, there's no justification in this action whatsoever. The UC school system needs to be held accountable for this.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
Thanks for that good information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You illustrate EXACTLY why these protesters are being seen for the brats that they are. You don't spray our children? How old are they? Old enough to go to college - so the are hardly children. Nonviolent? Locking arms and blocking the right of way is still breaking the law. And you say "period"? So if they throw rocks, defecate on public property, block the right of way of other people, nothing should happen to these poor defenseless babies?

You've raised these brats to think they're "special". They've run your households, gotten everything their heart's desire, and had mommy and daddy interfere whenever anyone tried to discipline them. I'm starting to see the mess you've created. Heaven help me, that these are my future.....

I have a family member who is truly a productive member of society - he's a cop. You know, the folks you hate. The folks you think are abusing poor sonny boy, but who are just trying to protect the citizens. But if he tells you to move, you darned well better move. And if you don't, you face the consequences. Unless of course you've been raised to think mommy and daddy will fight your battles for you, and that nothing you do is ever wrong.

I wish the cops would just walk away. Let these scumbag anarchists take over the campus. Let the folks of Davis see what they've created. When they can't drive on their streets, walk on their sidewalks, or go to their classes. When they're left with filth and feces, and nobody cleans it up. I'd enjoy watching their liberal heads explode.
It is hard to imagine a post with more words and more BS ever appearing here. You are wrong on so many counts. First, you best check and see what kind of school UC Davis is, and what quality of student gets accepted there.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I don't mince words and I never make direct under handed remarks about a posters family.
To use your own words: take my comments however you wish ... but the comment referred to wasn't "underhanded" about your family ... it was direct, and un-"minced", about you. You have an obvious preference for regimentation over individual expression. You've made numerous mentions of your disdain for public schools, and recently ragged about how dress codes should be instituted for all kids in all schools, as your kids wear in parochial schools.

In any case, your reference to these college kids' legitimate protest as equable to your "toddlers' whining" was condescension of the first order.

And what's with the pseudo-respect for posters' families, anyway? As if anonymous contributors to C D forum are a clan of some kind living under a code of honor separate from the world at large? How is it any different that you ridicule and disrespect strangers' kids / families in the news -- as you do regularly -- than if you disrespected mine? We don't know each other in any real sense. This isn't a case of Dunbar's Number in a monkey troupe, or a watering hole on the savannah where lions and antelope alike come to drink under a tacit truce. If you won't give the slightest respect to an old woman pepper-sprayed in the face, or a group of non-violent protestors, or another poster him/her-self -- what would be especially characterful about laying off a poster's family? Your claim to that selectivity as badge of honor is disingenuous.

In any case, I can be -- in the words of my wonderful late-wife -- "meaner than cat-pee in a hat" ... but you'll note I don't demean and ridicule specific people at large very often just because they hold different views than mine. I will mercilessly criticize and condemn rudeness, intentional selfishness, sociopathy, and bigotry in individuals and in groups -- or anyone that gets in my face. But I don't make fun of people suffering hard times -- or even for being 'stupid'.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You illustrate EXACTLY why these protesters are being seen for the brats that they are. ... So if they throw rocks, defecate on public property, block the right of way of other people, nothing should happen to these poor defenseless babies?

... I wish the cops would just walk away. Let these scumbag anarchists take over the campus. Let the folks of Davis see what they've created. When they can't drive on their streets, walk on their sidewalks, or go to their classes. When they're left with filth and feces, and nobody cleans it up. I'd enjoy watching their liberal heads explode.
Aside from the total nonsense of the entire post -- most of which I deleted for simplicity -- please provide any scrap of evidence you have of the truth of the accusations of yours I highlighted in bold ...

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
Quote:
... the students were / are sitting in solidarity support with OWS ... that is stated repeatedly in news accounts ... these current tuition protests are overtly tied to the OWS and the OWS protestors have expressed reciprocity and shown up on campus.
So as I said, any protest that is not connected with conservatives is now part of "occupy wall street". Never mind that the protests were for rate hikes and the same protests occurred before the "occupy wall street" nonsense...

Quote:
I am pointing out that the OWS has become serious enough to be included in the agenda of that attack culture.
And I'm pointing out that this ideology was already being targeted, the fact that you now have some hippies protesting in the streets doesn't change much. The protests at most cause conservative propagandists to allocate more of their resources to this particular ideology and they are doing a pretty good job of destroying it.

Quote:
but the situation is a big deal as now the theft is concentrated in a subculture that threatens to entirely overwhelm society ...
Sorry, which pocket are we talking about? The public sector or the aristocracy? Every state, the federal government, etc all have huge deficits from a bloated public sector spending....but its the wealth concentration in the top 1% is the more serious problem?

So yes, focus on the wall-street boogeyman which make up a relative small share of the US economy and ignore the part that makes up ~$6 trillion, or around 38% of the US economy.....Makes sense...

Liberals: Manipulated to support bloated government programs, regulations that benefited establish interests, etc.
Conservatives: Manipulated to support a moneyed oligarchy.

Really doesn't matter who wins, the American workers is left with empty pockets. But go team blue!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,680,779 times
UC President has responded to the incidents in UCD and Berkeley. Even *he* doesn't condone the actions of the campus police.

'Appalled' by police response to protesters, UC president to convene chancellors - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/20/4068647/appalled-uc-president-vows-to.html - broken link)

Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
Quote:
In a news release, the university said, "Videos taken during Friday's arrests showed that the two officers used pepper spray on peacefully seated students."

UC system President.

Quote:
“Free speech is part of the DNA of this university, and non-violent protest has long been central to our history,” Yudof said. “It is a value we must protect with vigilance. I implore students who wish to demonstrate to do so in a peaceful and lawful fashion. I expect campus authorities to honor that right.”

Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,680,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

UC system President.

Does this mean that the students shown in the videos gone viral are no longer "spoiled rotten brats who got what they deserved", as one poster here asserted?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So as I said, any protest that is not connected with conservatives is now part of "occupy wall street". Never mind that the protests were for rate hikes and the same protests occurred before the "occupy wall street" nonsense...
Aside from the fact that I do not consider OWS "nonsense" (and neither do well over 100 million other Americans, at the least) I, personally, didn't make the claim. The protestors, both the students at UC campuses, and the OWS participants from the city sites, identified themselves as such. Last I heard, Americans are entitled to consider themselves associated with pretty much whatever cause they wish -- regardless of user_id's blessings of legitimacy, or not. If the believers of many causes find common purpose and declare such, and operate in concert, then they are so connected. There are no rules to this process of which you are the arbiter. And I have a feeling your snide judgements don't much mean anything to these folks who are out there while you are at your keyboard.

Quote:
And I'm pointing out that this ideology was already being targeted, the fact that you now have some hippies protesting in the streets doesn't change much. The protests at most cause conservative propagandists to allocate more of their resources to this particular ideology and they are doing a pretty good job of destroying it.
I don't know what you are arguing. I agreed from the start that this ideology was already being targeted and that there was nothing surprising about that -- only that the fact serves as verification that there is concern -- thus there is effect already after only 2 months. That said, any even slightly informed person knows that OWS is more than "some hippies protesting in the streets" -- and that the conservative propagandists are not being successful at destroying the ideology -- hence their efforts growing and consultants to the wealthy increasing their warnings, increasing coverage and intellectual, as well as plebeian, anaylsis and discussion.

Quote:
Sorry, which pocket are we talking about? The public sector or the aristocracy? Every state, the federal government, etc all have huge deficits from a bloated public sector spending....but its the wealth concentration in the top 1% is the more serious problem?
You can save yourself the effort of the snide condescensions -- I, personally, refer to both the public sector and the aristocracy, as I don't consider them separate entities / pockets. The wealth concentration of the 1% at the top includes much of the public sector charades.

Quote:
So yes, focus on the wall-street boogeyman which make up a relative small share of the US economy and ignore the part that makes up ~$6 trillion, or around 38% of the US economy.....Makes sense...
Again, your love of antagonizing is showing its slip. I don't focus on Wall St. to any exclusion of other industrialists and political machines. Never said I did. You're just rooting around in the muck trying to scare up another of your master-debate sessions. I'm sure you can enjoy that without my participation

Quote:
Liberals: Manipulated to support bloated government programs, regulations that benefited establish interests, etc.
Conservatives: Manipulated to support a moneyed oligarchy.
Yep. Both suckers of the same illusion pageant.

Quote:
Really doesn't matter who wins, the American workers is left with empty pockets. But go team blue!
The American worker will benefit some from this when all is said and done, just as the American workers -- all -- benefited from the labor movements of the past. No, it will not raise us all up to Valhalla with peace and love and justice for all eternity. Just another revolution of sorts by necessity. This time the game includes environmental limitation realities as the population is rapidly outstripping the host's abilities to feed the current fantasies of materialism and security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California