U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,350,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

But I wasn't getting that specific. I was looking at great amount of people rich and greatest amount poor.
I think what he was getting at is there you can't determine this by one simple factor. What is rich and what is poor? Are you talking about paper wealth (real estate, stocks, etc) or cash on hand? Income? Should we adjust this based on the regional cost of living? I once read people in Placer County have a little more wealth than the people in Marin County after adjustment for regional cost of living. Also, I have friend who is living in Bakersfield on $35K a year and doing much better than several friends in the Bay Area making $50K a year.

Any individual statistic is going to be misleading. Some of the people on this forum love to quote poverty rates. There is a huge difference on the real impacts of poverty when supporting a family on $22,500 where the rent is $800 a month vs another region of the country where the rents are $500 a month.

There is a chart I wanted to post (I couldn't find it) that adjusts the poverty level in terms of dollars according to the cost of living broken down by county in California. The overall trend is the same in that Colusa, Glenn, Imperial, and Tulare counties are at the top of the list for poverty, but it really changes the ranking for some of the urbanized counties. The same concept applies to wealth. Having $1,000,000 in the bank can afford you to buy a small village of rentals in Fresno County. A frugal person in Marin County could afford a very modest house and maybe one or two fixer-uppers as rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-25-2011, 12:24 PM

3,064 posts, read 4,067,376 times
I thought that Bradbury was the wealthiest community in CA.

Bradbury, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd guess that one of the desert towns on the mexican border will be the poorest. Something like Brawley.

Brawley, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
About 22.5% of families and 26.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.0% of those under age 18 and 14.1% of those age 65 or over.

Unread 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,352,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
There is a chart I wanted to post (I couldn't find it) that adjusts the poverty level in terms of dollars according to the cost of living broken down by county in California.
One group does that is PPIC, they usually reexamine it every few years. The most recent I can find is using 2007 numbers.
http://www.ppic.org/main/publication.asp?i=261

The chart on page 2 shows, for example, that after adjusting for cost of living the poverty level in San Francisco County is 19% not much different than the the adjusted level in Fresno County of 20%. Santa Cruz County jumps to 20% when considering cost of living.

San Luis Obispo County rises to 16% poverty after adjusting for cost of living which is higher than Kings County's adjusted 15% rate (Kings drops slightly after adjusting for cost of living).

As you and others state to define rich and poor means defining which measures and geographic areas (county, city, zip, census tract, etc) are being used.

Unread 11-25-2011, 03:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 716,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
There's a lot of money in S.C. county ... it's certainly not relegated to (or has much to do with) Seascape which is just a beach resort with a bunch of condos that often sit empty.
There are pricey homes all over the county ... from the ocean all the way up into the S.C. mountains.
I assume though that many of these home owners are land rich but cash poor.
Rentals are extremely high in S.C. and in the entire county and, before the economy tanked a few years ago, i think that the average price of a home in S.C. county was between 8 - 900 K.
And Carmel is way down the road in Monterey County.
That's not what Seascape is. I'm not sure how long you've lived in Santa Cruz city, but it doesn't sound like you get down to that part of the county very often (I lived there for 25 years).

But, as an example - the median income for Rio Del Mar is about 15,000 more per year than within Santa Cruz city limits. Same for Aptos/Larkin Valley.

Although, I never said the rich were relegated to any particular area - just that the more affluent areas are outside the city limits.

Unread 11-25-2011, 03:59 PM

3,418 posts, read 5,245,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
That's not what Seascape is. I'm not sure how long you've lived in Santa Cruz city, but it doesn't sound like you get down to that part of the county very often (I lived there for 25 years).

But, as an example - the median income for Rio Del Mar is about 15,000 more per year than within Santa Cruz city limits. Same for Aptos/Larkin Valley.

Although, I never said the rich were relegated to any particular area - just that the more affluent areas are outside the city limits.
The richest people might live outside city limits, but the largest amount of rich people in general probably live within Santa Cruz.

The same goes for any city. The richest people prob live in McMansion suburbs, but alot of rich people will live within city limits.

Unread 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,662,164 times
Quote:

I've been in Santa Cruz county for years and i lived in Larkin Valley for quite a few of them and Manresa (a couple miles past the entrance to Seascape) is my beach of choice and i go there regularly and have for years and i know the entire county quite well.
I use Santa Cruz as my city-data-forum location (as it's recognizable in a way that other towns in the county may not be to folks) but i've actually never lived in S.C. proper but have, for the most part, always lived in Soquel and Aptos and Larkin Valley (Larkin Valley is not in Aptos although people tend to think that it is ... when i lived there [White Rd.] my street / mailing address was Watsonville although i don't know why but it probably has something to do with the fact that neither Aptos or Larkin Valley is incorporated while Watsonville is? i dunno ... have to ask the post master)
I don't know what Seascape you're talking about but this > Seascape Beach Resort, Santa Cruz California (Seascape Beach Resort on Monterey Bay) is the one i'm talking about and it's not a town / community (incorporated or otherwise) in the county of Santa Cruz but is a resort community in Aptos and has has nothing to do with Larkin Valley except for its close proximity.
If there's a Seascape (other than the resort community - or do you mean Seacliff?) that is referred to / considered as part of or an extension of Rio Del Mar, then i see what you're saying.
I dunno ... i don't frequent those communities ... they kind of bum me out.

Last edited by jaijai; 11-25-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Unread 11-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Maybe this "heat map" will clarify things a bit.

Santa Cruz County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM

1,570 posts, read 716,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I've been in Santa Cruz county for years and i lived in Larkin Valley for quite a few of them and Manresa (a couple miles past the entrance to Seascape) is my beach of choice and i go there regularly and have for years and i know the entire county quite well.
I use Santa Cruz as my city-data-forum location (as it's recognizable in a way that other towns in the county may not be to folks) but i've actually never lived in S.C. proper but have, for the most part, always lived in Soquel and Aptos and Larkin Valley (Larkin Valley is not in Aptos although people tend to think that it is ... when i lived there [White Rd.] my street / mailing address was Watsonville although i don't know why but it probably has something to do with the fact that neither Aptos or Larkin Valley is incorporated while Watsonville is? i dunno ... have to ask the post master)
I don't know what Seascape you're talking about but this > Seascape Beach Resort, Santa Cruz California (Seascape Beach Resort on Monterey Bay) is the one i'm talking about and it's not a town / community (incorporated or otherwise) in the county of Santa Cruz but is a resort community in Aptos and has has nothing to do with Larkin Valley except for its close proximity.
If there's a Seascape (other than the resort community - or do you mean Seacliff?) that is referred to / considered as part of or an extension of Rio Del Mar, then i see what you're saying.
I dunno ... i don't frequent those communities ... they kind of bum me out.
There are lots of houses in Seascape (that might not be the mailing address - probably still Aptos for the mailing address - but if you exit San Andreas Blvd and take Seascape Dr...), and quite a few gated communities. There's also the resort, yes, and a golf course, even!

I didn't say Seascape had anything to do with Larkin Valley. These are census designated locations within Santa Cruz county that have higher average incomes than the city of Santa Cruz... Which goes back to my point that the more affluent areas of Santa Cruz county are not within the city of Santa Cruz. They're all unincorporated - for the most part, Aptos (last time it tried to incorporated) would have encompassed about 30,000 people in several neighborhoods (seascape, rio del mar, aptos, etc)...

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
There are lots of houses in Seascape (that might not be the mailing address - probably still Aptos for the mailing address - but if you exit San Andreas Blvd and take Seascape Dr...), and quite a few gated communities. There's also the resort, yes, and a golf course, even!

I didn't say Seascape had anything to do with Larkin Valley. These are census designated locations within Santa Cruz county that have higher average incomes than the city of Santa Cruz... Which goes back to my point that the more affluent areas of Santa Cruz county are not within the city of Santa Cruz. They're all unincorporated - for the most part, Aptos (last time it tried to incorporated) would have encompassed about 30,000 people in several neighborhoods (seascape, rio del mar, aptos, etc)...
o.k. ... miss communications.
i think we're set.
anyway, maybe that heat map (assuming it's accurate) will clarify this silly issue.
(p.s. - Watsonville, Capitola, Scotts Valley and Santa Cruz are all incorporated.)

Unread 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 3,909,359 times
No one knows precise net worth of others (hell, most rich guys would struggle to precisely guess their net worth on any given day)
Even IRS just has tax returns reflecting annual income...not net worth

Likely wealthiest towns in CA (or US or world) are Woodside and Atherton

Impressively, many of wealthiest are engineers who were founders or early employees in some start-up and, most often, are products of middle-income suburbia somewhere in US but migrated to PaloAlto region to build their careers and fortunes...upward mobility at its best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California