U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM

3,771 posts, read 6,090,405 times
Santa Maria also needs a Forever 21 to replace Mervyns. I heard maybe BCF, but something else would be better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,281,483 times
Quote:
Many students at Templeton graduated and went to better schools than Cal Poly SLO and our class president got a full ride to UCLA
Somebody thinks UCLA is better than Cal Poly? Call Poly had 40,000 Freshman Applications the year our daughter applied, they accepted a few thousand, and not many out of that got what our daughter was offered. Sounds like someone needs to do their homework.

One of daughter's friends; both her parents went to UCLA, and are very proud of it, but, they wanted their daughter at Cal Poly as they felt, despite the fact that they went to UCLA and are very well off Bay Area peopole, that Cal Poly was the better school.

I have told you before, that school rankings are generally meaningless. Here, let me give you another example besides the worthless ness of multiple choice tests.

Take a school, Call it Arroyo Grande, put 1,400 children of farm workers in it. Those kids, bless their hearts are going to drop any average. Take the other 600, mostly the children of highly educated upper income parents (they have to be to afford Arroyo Grande real estate prices), they will not share the same teachers as the 1,400. They will stick predominately to advanced classes, and will accomplish great things. Besides, I bet you worship Zack Ephron, he graduated AG

You have stated many times that you prefer beliefs over logic or data, so I have no doubt you will reject all I said.. mores the pity.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Somebody thinks UCLA is better than Cal Poly? Call Poly had 40,000 Freshman Applications the year our daughter applied, they accepted a few thousand, and not many out of that got what our daughter was offered. Sounds like someone needs to do their homework.

One of daughter's friends; both her parents went to UCLA, and are very proud of it, but, they wanted their daughter at Cal Poly as they felt, despite the fact that they went to UCLA and are very well off Bay Area peopole, that Cal Poly was the better school.

I have told you before, that school rankings are generally meaningless. Here, let me give you another example besides the worthless ness of multiple choice tests.

Take a school, Call it Arroyo Grande, put 1,400 children of farm workers in it. Those kids, bless their hearts are going to drop any average. Take the other 600, mostly the children of highly educated upper income parents (they have to be to afford Arroyo Grande real estate prices), they will not share the same teachers as the 1,400. They will stick predominately to advanced classes, and will accomplish great things. Besides, I bet you worship Zack Ephron, he graduated AG

You have stated many times that you prefer beliefs over logic or data, so I have no doubt you will reject all I said.. mores the pity.
I destest Zac Effron.

There were students at my high school who got full rides to Cal Poly SLO too. I had a friend who got one and another ag girl got one from my grade. Unfortunately my friend needed more than a full ride. My friend didn't even own a car at the time and didnt want to work for one and other things to get by. And he felt he needed to work to support his mom.

And sir you do not know what it means to be a Blue Ribbon school. Schools who earn that honor are top notch schools and to not even acknowledge you just lost credibility in my eyes.

Templeton has alot of upper middle class folk and high real estate prices too. We have winery owners, a hospital, and local business people here who make a lot of money.

You have used statistics before to back other beliefs of yours. I think now you are just being a white person trying to glamorize your life. It must be hard to admit your daughter wasn't at the number one high school in this county.

Also, UCLA is a much larger college so they got lots of applications too and can take in more people too.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM

5,636 posts, read 6,972,310 times
Zac Efron? Oooooohhhhh! He's dreamy!!!!!

http://bodyfitnessgain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/zac-efron.jpg (broken link)

He could be a Forever 21 model!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,173,127 times
highnlite and I disagreed in the past, but I appreciate his contribution to this forum now because he can talk smack.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM

1,056 posts, read 779,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
True, but I have friends that lived in a nice section of Santa Maria and they were robbed twice, burglary. In broad daylight!!! And nobody saw anything. I don't know how someone can carry a huge TV, stereo, and guns down a street in a nice section of Santa Maria and not be suspicious. And they got it over an 8 foot high block wall on a busy street!!!!! And another person I know who lives in Santa Maria hates living there and is trying to get out. She always says if it's not nailed down, they steal it. Her kids bike was stolen right off their porch in the morning, again, in a nice area near Walmart. It's little incidents like these and what you read in the news that add up, Santa Maria is a dump, best thing to do is avoid the whole place if possible. There are much nicer places on the Central Coast.
I bet most people in any town knows someone who has been robbed. I have lived in SM my whole life and have never been robbed. In fact I feel my quality of life is just as good as the next person (in SLO).

Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I bet most people in any town knows someone who has been robbed. I have lived in SM my whole life and have never been robbed. In fact I feel my quality of life is just as good as the next person (in SLO).
I'm not interested in SLO at all. They tore down their mall in the 90s and didn't build a new mall in Paso Robles or another one in San Luis Obispo. The county's only mall is an outlet mall, and outlet malls don't have the same feel as a "mall".

And that Dalidio Ranch Marketplace should have been a mall. When his project had a Macy's there was much support for the project, but Target and Lowe's no one cared about.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 646 times
Default My Family homesteaded here around the turn of the century

Once upon a time, Central City/ Santa Maria was a growing city, there were multi story office buildings down the main streets and major hardware suppliers here but something happened.
Why would this centrally located location with good access north, south and east fade into just another farm town??
It had to be due to horrible city management! Over the years corporations have come here and then--LEFT! Why didn't they stay? it was a negative attitude toward them.
Some may recall then Mayor Hobbs stating on the front page of the paper that" we don't want those people here" when Martin Marietta among others wanted to lease the long empty Columbia record building. Several other big names came and then--left!
This city has a competent, hungry workforce, a super location and plentiful housing at giveaway prices,
I recall being hustled by Florida to move my business there along with other Countries but the Santa Maria chamber of commerce gal told me that she wished "they'd just put a gate on each end of the town so others couldn't come in"
WELL, the city has been successful doing that!
If we want to improve the economy here in Santa Maria, there has to be an effort to entice corporations to move here!
What happened to the industrial park that was to go in at the North end of town among others?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,088 times
The Santa Maria Valley has so much grow potential. They need to stop turning vacant land into agricultural land . Commercial development should take over agricultural land. That would dramatically decrease the amount of immigrants living in Santa Maria.Take Southern Orange County for example. Decades ago it was just like the Santa Maria Valley, but now its pretty much developed. Santa Maria needs more high tech industries.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM

They are starting with the airport area. The airport now has the largest run-way between SF and San Francisco. It's a big airport and they are trying to get more business. Business parks are planned near the airport.

There are plans to bring in some new satellite campuses of some colleges. Antioch and SB Business College have 2 satellite campuses in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California