U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 464 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Hawaii and I am planning on moving to California to pursue a degree in Film. Preferably somewhere in/near San Francisco. Southern California is not someplace that I see myself living in but I'm not completely excluding it if it means the best for my education. Having to live in a small peaceful island in Hawaii for a decade, I would like to change things up a bit and experience the city life. SF's diversity and liberation seems like a great fit for me. I would love to live on place where there's always something going but also a safe place. Over the past few months I've been doing research and putting together lists of schools that I may want to go to but to save on tuition I will be attending a year or two of community college before possibly going to one of the schools below, so I want to relocate to a place where the college is located. The schools that I have so far are:

San Francisco State University
California College of the Arts
Chapman University
University of Southern California
CSU Sacramento
Humboldt State University

I would like to hear anything about any of these colleges and which would be the best option for me? What's it like living in these areas? If you have any schools not listed above which you would think would be a great option, please let me know. I would also like to hear from anyone who's been to Hawaii. What's the cost of living in San Francisco like compared to Hawaii? I know that SF is really expensive but so is Hawaii, which do you think costs more to live? Thank You.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,936,306 times
I know SFSU has a good reputation for film.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,356,013 times
If you want city life in a beautiful / wonderful city, i'd go to school in San Francisco.
Sacramento or Humboldt probably won't satisfy your desire to experience the kind of cultural and "happenings" in the way that S.F. will.
You may want to post questions about schools and communities in S.F. on the San Francisco forum.
City-Data-Forum San Francisco
Although i assume that Hawaii is expensive, do realize that living in a good / safe community in S.F. (or anywhere in the bay area) will be very expensive although since you're young and going to school roommate situations are always the most economical option.

And not to presume or confuse things (and i don't know anything about the quality of the film school) but you may also want to consider UCSC in Santa Cruz.
The Film and Digital Media Major 2011-12
Santa Cruz is a small city (funky and fun with a strong surf culture) but in a county with a lot of different living options, ie; you don't have to live in Santa Cruz proper (you may want to if it's a fit) but can live in many different communities in the county with rural, semi-rural and sub-urban choices.
Like the bay area, S.C. county is quite expensive but there are many roommate situations since it's a college county.
Santa Cruz has some areas that are not the safest but there are many, many neighborhoods in S.C. proper and in the entire county that are very safe.
It's a fun place if you're young and open and tolerant and though it's not a big city like S.F. (which is just about 2 hours to the north) there's enough city vibe to satisfy and there's a lot of good live music and if you love the ocean, love to hike and mountain bike, etc. it's a beautiful place to be (ocean and redwoods - Monterey Bay).
And the bus system is excellent and it's a very bike friendly county.
I'm not sure if you are saying that you'll be going to a community college in Hawaii but Cabrillo Community College is in Santa Cruz county (Aptos) so it's an option for that part of your education.
Cabrillo College Home Page

Last edited by jaijai; 11-26-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California