U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: A bit further north than before
1,522 posts, read 1,684,080 times
Reputation: 1193
Quote:
David and Christina are not only newlyweds, they also teach in the same 4th grade classroom. Now they're embarking on their next project: buying their first home in Los Angeles. The couple wants to live near the private school where they work, in the upscale San Fernando Valley town of Sherman Oaks. They love to bike through the canyons south of legendary Ventura Boulevard, but the real estate prices in that area often start in the millions of dollars, so they'll settle for buying a place that's close to Ventura. But even with that compromise, with a budget of $550,000, can they find a starter home that's big enough, and updated enough, to meet their exacting tastes?

They're not looking for a starter house, they're looking for their dream house that just happens to be their first house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
 
1,659 posts, read 1,075,886 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Actually insane real-estate prices are whats most hurting the economy and is indicative of the biggest leech of free flow cash that keeps the economy going. It serves no great purpose to have such insane property values. #1 bill a month is rent/mortgage... Who exactly is that money going to?

I have never seen soo many apartments in my life until I moved to the bay area. Grown adults w/ kids making good money and having to live in a tiny box apartment. The only people who benefit from this are slumlords/landlords and the tax man (higher density of people) .. High property values were considered great for governments (more tax revenue) and thus why they fed/continue to feed the bubble. If people were actually able to afford these insanely priced homes, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But most can't and resort to exotic financing to do so. This is in no way healthy and is the epitome of idiocy.

Explain how you remain a profitable business when you are shelling out boat loads of cash to the landlord every month for insanely priced commercial real-estate?

Insanely priced real-estate is in no way shape or form good for the average person. Uppity fools who want to declare (the place I live is in such high demand that a trailer park home costs $400k) love to remark about the high property values as it makes them and the place they live in seem important but that 'desirability' price becomes a whole lot hilarious when you come to find out that 50% can't afford the silly mortgage they took out and tons are 20-30% underwater w/ no relief anywhere on the horizon.


And FYI, hong kong is set to be one of the biggest property bubbles of all time. $10k/sq ft.. LMFAO
As the recent housing bubble has been an indicator, all of this nonsense is predicated on availability of credit... If it runs out or the gold rush does, you will be a fool left holding a high priced bag.
Bubbles and idiocy tend to unravel quite precipitously, all that is needed is the right nudge.

Here's an explanation :
Herd behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a lot of markets, you do quite well by not following the herd.

You obviously have an agenda that you're pushing. I don't want to go into schematics because you probably don't want to hear it. I've lived in cities from NYC to Hong Kong to SF, and I've lived in cheap suburbs. We need both. You can't say one is better than the other, they're simply options. Even though you blame the landlords (curious), they wield least power in this chain of supply and demand.

If you don't want to follow the herd, then don't. Don't live in the Bay Area, move away to flyover country where the herd isn't.

I'll say this, for a guy who doesn't follow the herd, you seem to believe in ideas formed by the herd. Everyone and his mother knows HK has a housing bubble, there's nothing revolutionary about this revelation. But even after the bubble bursts (and it won't be anything soon btw), their real estate prices is still in the stratosphere. Last time it burst, it was down for maybe five years (still ultra expensive) before it shot up to jaw-dropping prices.

And speaking of Hong Kong, that place is about as credit tight as anyone - 50% to 60% down payment (more for a second home) and every applicant scrutinized like a murder suspect. Many properties are bought with 100% cash.

"This nonsense is predicated on availability of credit"?


You obviously knows as much about HK's credit market as you do about supply and demand.

Last edited by beb0p; 11-29-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
5,310 posts, read 3,475,030 times
Reputation: 3125
Right now there are huge differences in costs of housing throughout California. And with the correction continuing to take place there are deals out there in every metro in California. My guess is that episode may be a few years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 11:09 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 1,515,327 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You obviously have an agenda that you're pushing. I don't want to go into schematics because you probably don't want to hear it.
No agenda.. Just well informed about global housing markets .. Have been since I graduated and made bets it would collapse. Quite informed on human behavior and the idiocy which leads to bubbles. Quite informed about credit markets and the types of ways people 'truly' afford homes in the bay area. So, please do go into the details.. I'd love for you to actually back up your empty commentary w/ data/information ... Love to hear about the many ghost towns/condos in china/hong kong that have over 60% ownership in the hands of non-occupied units bought by speculators. Just because they used cash (a common practice in Asia) doesn't mean it is any less speculative. It's kind of easy to buy in cash in china when the minority are raping and pillaging the majority of people.. And housing is as much a status symbol (something many clowns are fond of in hong kong) as anything .. So, it has very much to do w/ heard mentality than it has to do w/ actual 'desirability'. If you mean by desirable .. It has amenities like this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_Hong_Kong
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...ution-problem/




"More than 1 million people consider leaving polluted Hong Kong
Submitted by Mohit Joshi on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 10:07 Health News Hong Kong
Hong Kong - More than 1 million people are considering leaving Hong Kong because of its worsening air quality, according to a university study published Tuesday.

The potential exodus from the city of 6.9 million would be far greater than the numbers who considered leaving in the run-up to Hong Kong's return to Chinese rule in 1997, pressure group Civic Exchange warned."

Oh, considered me sold bro..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

I've lived in cities from NYC to Hong Kong to SF, and I've lived in cheap suburbs. We need both. You can't say one is better than the other, they're simply options. Even though you blame the landlords (curious), they wield least power in this chain of supply and demand.

You're not special.. I've lived in several states and visited several countries... Same sh*t different story... I never said one was better than the other. I noted the incentive local govts. have for high density. I noted the incentive states/local govts. have for high home values. I noted several players who benefit most from it. Pointing out partial blame is not pointing out blame... And no, landlords don't have the least power. They actually have quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
If you don't want to follow the herd, then don't. Don't live in the Bay Area, move away to flyover country where the herd isn't.
And there goes your 'bias'... I actually don't have one.. I can appreciate and have appreciated all areas... You seem to reflect only on NY/SF/Hong Kong as if, if you don't live there, you live in 'fly over country'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I'll say this, for a guy who doesn't follow the herd, you seem to believe in ideas formed by the herd. Everyone and his mother knows HK has a housing bubble, there's nothing revolutionary about this revelation. But even after the bubble bursts (and it won't be anything soon btw), their real estate prices is still in the stratosphere. Last time it burst, it was down for maybe five years (still ultra expensive) before it shot up to jaw-dropping prices.
Glad you can acknowledge that. I never claimed it was a revelation. I simply stated it was in a bubble because of your praised reference of it.

You seem to not understand what a local minimum is vs. a global one. The past is not a predictor of the future always....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
And speaking of Hong Kong, that place is about as credit tight as anyone - 50% to 60% down payment (more for a second home) and every applicant scrutinized like a murder suspect. Many properties are bought with 100% cash.
And speaking of Hong Kong, it wasn't always like this and is due to recent clamping down by the govt. in order to 'control' the monster that was created there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
"This nonsense is predicated on availability of credit"?


You obviously knows as much about HK's credit market as you do about supply and demand.
You obviously know how to take quotes out of context and apply them to places I never referenced. I was speaking about California .. I discussed hong kong a bit because you seem to reflect on it as another 'desirable' place in your long list that isn't fly over country : NY, SF, Hong Kong. I never said their market was currently driven by credit. Your bias shines through quite well. Per usual, people such as yourself actually don't know what they are talking about because their bias blinds them...

PressDisplay.com - Newspapers From Around the World
Hong Kong Tips Into Recession, Most Accurate Forecaster Says - Bloomberg
China Credit Squeeze Prompts Suicides - Bloomberg
Gloomy outlook for China exporters as factory closure wave looms | Reuters


HK home sales fall over 50% in October
Date:2011-11-03litingting Text Size:
HONG Kong's home sales fell for a 10th straight month, dropping by half in October from a year ago as buyers put off purchases.

The value of transactions last month declined 50 percent to HK$22.5 billion (US$2.9 billion), the city's government said in a statement on its website yesterday. Sales of residential units shed 2.2 percent from September, it said.

"Transactions slowed down quite significantly particularly in the secondary market," said Buggle Lau, analyst at Midland Holdings Ltd, Hong Kong's biggest publicly traded realtor. Lau said while transactions in the primary market rose last month, it wasn't enough to offset the slide in used home sales.

Real estate prices, which have surged over 70 percent since early 2009, fell for the first time in seven months in July after the government introduced new housing curbs in June. Banks raised mortgage rates in September.

The rising number of Hong Kong homeowners with apartments worth less than their mortgages may further hurt sentiment already damped by the global equity rout and government curbs, Barclays Capital Research has said.


Next time, save your b.s commentary for someone who is gullible enough to believe your 'well traveled' foolishness... Otherwise, you can do the appropriate thing and include 'schematics' to back your comments.. Maybe you'd learn something by finding information/facts that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Per herd mentality and people bought into it, they don't like when people speak to the contrary because their whole value system and potential asset values would fall through the floor if people didn't buy into the hype that everywhere is fly over country except in several choice spots around the world... actually used their brains, and decided to spread their wings elsewhere.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-29-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,077 posts, read 9,016,582 times
Reputation: 14110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Sounds about right... Not the best starter home in my area, however. Wife and I are looking at dropping about 800k when we move from our condo.

That's the way it is - my parents bought their houses back in the 60's and 70's. A total investment of about 30,000 dollars is now worth 3,000,000 dollars... I doubt we'll be so lucky.
And big round of applause to the repressive, anti-development, Not-in-my-backyard Nimby's of California!!!

If Las Vegas had had CA-style Nimby's, from the gitgo, or even Wichita, the prices would be no different than Orange County. Californians have it down to a science, scream No to any new developments that's going to dilute the value of their houses, and the the prices go up and up and up!

A hundred beachfront 20-30-40-50 story high rises from Malibu to Laguna, dream on!

Last edited by tijlover; 11-30-2011 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: add word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 AM
 
1,659 posts, read 1,075,886 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
No agenda.. Just well informed about global housing markets .. Have been since I graduated and made bets it would collapse.
No agenda?!!

If you say so.

The schematic of how real estate in China works is very complicated and not at all as simple as you made it out to be. You cannot just group HK and China into one, different regions have different markets just like in USA, market in California is different from Wyoming. I don't have all the answers, no one does, it's too complex and intricate for any one person to know the entire web of things. What I do know is that anyone (You) who claims to be able to predict the future of Chinese real estate is just blowing smoke. The bubble can pop next week or it can go on for another fifteen years. There are too many moving pieces from government regulation to inflation to the economy to the great migration to the emergence of a middle class; there are no less than ten things just off the top of my head that can tip the scale in either direction. People have been predicting a pop since 2009, it's now almost 2012 and it hasn't pop yet. Anyone who claims to be able to predict this or that is, again, just flat out lying.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

"More than 1 million people consider leaving polluted Hong Kong
Submitted by Mohit Joshi on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 10:07 Health News Hong Kong
Hong Kong - More than 1 million people are considering leaving Hong Kong because of its worsening air quality, according to a university study published Tuesday.
This is the so-called facts??

"Considered" leaving Hong Kong proves what? Absolutely nothing. Millions of couch potatoes "Considered" joining a gym. Most won't. I once considered quitting my job and being a ski bum. So what? Again, you're just grasping at straws.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

You're not special.. I've lived in several states and visited several countries... Same sh*t different story... I never said one was better than the other. I noted the incentive local govts. have for high density. I noted the incentive states/local govts. have for high home values. I noted several players who benefit most from it. Pointing out partial blame is not pointing out blame... And no, landlords don't have the least power. They actually have quite a lot.

OK. Shrug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
And there goes your 'bias'... I actually don't have one.. I can appreciate and have appreciated all areas... You seem to reflect only on NY/SF/Hong Kong as if, if you don't live there, you live in 'fly over country'.

Uh? I didn't say that, and you shouldn't put words in my mouth.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Glad you can acknowledge that. I never claimed it was a revelation. I simply stated it was in a bubble because of your praised reference of it.
Again, anyone who claims to know this is just blowing hot air.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
You obviously know how to take quotes out of context and apply them to places I never referenced. I was speaking about California .. I discussed hong kong a bit because you seem to reflect on it as another 'desirable' place in your long list that isn't fly over country : NY, SF, Hong Kong. I never said their market was currently driven by credit. Your bias shines through quite well. Per usual, people such as yourself actually don't know what they are talking about because their bias blinds them...

PressDisplay.com - Newspapers From Around the World
Hong Kong Tips Into Recession, Most Accurate Forecaster Says - Bloomberg
China Credit Squeeze Prompts Suicides - Bloomberg
Gloomy outlook for China exporters as factory closure wave looms | Reuters

You are as confused about my point as I am about your rambling.

So what if prices fell? It goes up and down like all real estate. Does it change the fact that HK is still an expensive city? NO. Does it change the fact that a lot of peope want to live there? NO. Does it change the fact that many people considers it unaffordable? NO. Does it change that fact that its per sq ft price is generally much higher than LA's? NO. Does it challenge any of the points that I've made? NO.

So this is what you call... facts. Facts that has nothing to do with our discussion. Maybe we should put in a qualifier, as in "relevant" facts.

Show me facts that says HK is not generally more expensive than LA per sq ft, that'd disprove my point. Show me that cities are not historically more expensive than rural areas. That'd disprove my point too. Show me facts that says landlords are able to influence mass migrations into cities. Show me one thing that disproves anything that I've said!


Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Next time, save your b.s commentary for someone who is gullible enough to believe your 'well traveled' foolishness... Otherwise, you can do the appropriate thing and include 'schematics' to back your comments.. Maybe you'd learn something by finding information/facts that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Per herd mentality and people bought into it, they don't like when people speak to the contrary because their whole value system and potential asset values would fall through the floor if people didn't buy into the hype that everywhere is fly over country except in several choice spots around the world... actually used their brains, and decided to spread their wings elsewhere.


If I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, it's looking unlikely that you'd be the one to expose that.

Who's stopping you from spreading your wings? What I don't get is the bitterness. The only thing I can make out from your rambling is that you have something against landlords in cities. But apparently no agenda from you. Nope.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 1,515,327 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
No agenda?!!

If you say so.

The schematic of how real estate in China works is very complicated and not at all as simple as you made it out to be. You cannot just group HK and China into one, different regions have different markets just like in USA, market in California is different from Wyoming. I don't have all the answers, no one does, it's too complex and intricate for any one person to know the entire web of things. What I do know is that anyone (You) who claims to be able to predict the future of Chinese real estate is just blowing smoke. The bubble can pop next week or it can go on for another fifteen years. There are too many moving pieces from government regulation to inflation to the economy to the great migration to the emergence of a middle class; there are no less than ten things just off the top of my head that can tip the scale in either direction. People have been predicting a pop since 2009, it's now almost 2012 and it hasn't pop yet. Anyone who claims to be able to predict this or that is, again, just flat out lying.





This is the so-called facts??

"Considered" leaving Hong Kong proves what? Absolutely nothing. Millions of couch potatoes "Considered" joining a gym. Most won't. I once considered quitting my job and being a ski bum. So what? Again, you're just grasping at straws.





OK. Shrug.




Uh? I didn't say that, and you shouldn't put words in my mouth.





Again, anyone who claims to know this is just blowing hot air.






You are as confused about my point as I am about your rambling.

So what if prices fell? It goes up and down like all real estate. Does it change the fact that HK is still an expensive city? NO. Does it change the fact that a lot of peope want to live there? NO. Does it change the fact that many people considers it unaffordable? NO. Does it change that fact that its per sq ft price is generally much higher than LA's? NO. Does it challenge any of the points that I've made? NO.

So this is what you call... facts. Facts that has nothing to do with our discussion. Maybe we should put in a qualifier, as in "relevant" facts.

Show me facts that says HK is not generally more expensive than LA per sq ft, that'd disprove my point. Show me that cities are not historically more expensive than rural areas. That'd disprove my point too. Show me facts that says landlords are able to influence mass migrations into cities. Show me one thing that disproves anything that I've said!






If I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, it's looking unlikely that you'd be the one to expose that.

Who's stopping you from spreading your wings? What I don't get is the bitterness. The only thing I can make out from your rambling is that you have something against landlords in cities. But apparently no agenda from you. Nope.

.
No schematics, No info, no facts, no links .. no data baking your continuous personal tirade .. Pick up a business magazine when you get a chance, no one is claiming to have a crystal ball, only that they are educated, informed, and know of the basic principals of markets ... Nothing is so complex/different that it can defy the laws of gravity for too long.

Shanghaied Home Buyers Turn Protesters as Shattered Dreams Vex Government - Bloomberg
How 'cash money' works in China :
" Pooling his own and his parents’ savings, a loan from his boss and a 1.1 million yuan ($172,000) mortgage, he bought an apartment and secured his fiancee’s hand."

Asia Times Online :: China's property boom cools, pain spreads
Goldman Ends Bet on China Stocks as Growth Estimates Cut by UBS, Citigroup - Bloomberg
China property stocks slip as bleak 2012 looms - Asia Stocks to Watch - MarketWatch
Chinese housing bubble fears grow - The Globe and Mail
UPDATE 3-Global shipping downturn worse than 2008-China | Reuters
Hong Kong Tips Into Recession, Most Accurate Forecaster Says - Bloomberg
HK home sales fall over 50% in October | China business news

Unlike you probably are w/ your empty commentary, I actually trade markets on a daily basis. I hold a substantial amount of REITs (US) in my portfolio and am quite aware of the 'complex' markets that you seem to not understand. I make a good deal off the real-estate insanity every quarter... I have nothing against landlords.. I am a large shareholder in a billion dollar mortgage portfolio.. Although I do quite well from it, I am not going to sit here and talk my book and pretend the very thing that makes me good amounts of money isn't a huge burden on the people it extracts monthly transfers from....

I don't have to expose anything, the many people who make millions of dollars a day predicting and placing bets on the direction of the markets have already done that painful research ...

On China....
The chinese are very addicted to 'property' and it fuels a lot of speculation in their country and aboard... Vancouver, Australia.. Dare i say the 'bay area' ...you name it .. They will go to many desperate lengths to fund housing including multiple generations of wealth ... because, unlike the rest of the informed world, they still believe homes are the most stable place for money and will hold value...

Such desperate lengths are noted by stories like these :
" Pooling his own and his parents’ savings, a loan from his boss and a 1.1 million yuan ($172,000) mortgage, he bought an apartment and secured his fiancee’s hand."

Bitter...? LOL, more like intelligent like the rest of people taking 'flight' out of such insane places to pursue the American dream which still burns bright in many places around the U.S ...
Something I don't think recent immigrants get an appreciation for outside the places they land .. It's a big and beautiful country out there. I spent most of my great childhood and life outside of the main 'hype' centers that are often plastered on advertisements. However, I have also visited and lived in some of the hype centers ... Gives you some perspective and appreciation for things beyond what jet setting hotspot is on traveler's magazine this month.


San Francisco Bay Area Home Prices Decline 7% as High-End Buyers Wait - Bloomberg

You can yap all you want, the data/facts and people who get paid to be right on this strongly disagree. Keep talking your bias. I'm just reflecting on market data and analytic that are available to anyone who cares to be informed. You don't like reality? Sucks for you.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-30-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 AM
 
1,659 posts, read 1,075,886 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
No schematics, No info, no facts, no links .. no data baking your continuous personal tirade.
At this point, I suspect you don't remember what my points were because my points are all based on common knowledge. You're the kind of guy who wants a poster to provide links to the fact that people wants to be happy rather than sad.

But if you insist, here is the data:

http://www.citymayors.com/features/cost_survey.html

Fact #1. Hong Kong is an international city.
Fact #2. Hong Kong real estate is very expensive.
Fact #3. Los Angeles is a USA city.
Fact #4. Hong Kong real estate is more expensive than Los Angeles per sq ft.

That's it, those are ALL the facts. Study them if you must. But I suggest you go back to my original post and see if you can decipher what my points are. Just because I'm a nice guy, to save you time here are my points from my original post:

1. Real estate in cities cost more than real estate in rural areas.
2. LA real estate price is not unreasonable when you compare to some other major cities like Hong Kong
3. We need places with cheap real estate but it's also not harmful to have expensive real estate in cities.

Now, maybe for once you actually supply a link that is even remotely related to my points. Not holding my breath though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
.. Pick up a business magazine when you get a chance, no one is claiming to have a crystal ball, only that they are educated, informed, and know of the basic principals of markets ... Nothing is so complex/different that it can defy the laws of gravity for too long.
I wasn't having an investment argument with you. If that's the route you want to go, there's an Investment forum where you can vent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Unlike you probably are w/ your empty commentary, I actually trade markets on a daily basis. I hold a substantial amount of REITs (US) in my portfolio and am quite aware of the 'complex' markets that you seem to not understand. I don't have to expose anything, the many people who make millions of dollars a day predicting and placing bets on the direction of the markets have already done that painful research ...
I thought you said "Don't follow the herd."??!

"The many people who make millions of dollars a day predicting and placing bets on the direction of the markets" must be right.
Of course!!! Follow the herd.

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that whether there is bubble or not, does not in any way, shape or form, disprove my points.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The chinese are very addicted to 'property' and it fuels a lot of speculation in their country and aboard... Vancouver, Australia.. Dare i say the 'bay area' ...you name it .. They will go to many desperate lengths to fund housing including multiple generations of wealth ... because, unlike the rest of the informed world, they still believe homes are the most stable place for money and will hold value...

Such desperate lengths are noted by stories like these :
" Pooling his own and his parents’ savings, a loan from his boss and a 1.1 million yuan ($172,000) mortgage, he bought an apartment and secured his fiancee’s hand."

Bitter...? LOL, more like intelligent like the rest of people taking 'flight' out of such insane places to pursue the American dream which still burns bright in many places around the U.S ...

Sometimes when engaged in bidding wars w/ idiots (any person), it makes sense to bow out.

San Francisco Bay Area Home Prices Decline 7% as High-End Buyers Wait - Bloomberg

You can yap all you want, the data/facts and people who get paid to be right on this strongly disagree

If you "hold a substantial amount of REITs (US) in your portfolio" and you follow "the many people who make millions of dollars a day predicting and placing bets on the direction of the markets", don't tell me you don't have an agenda.

The rest of your post is just more rambling. I'm not even sure who you're talking to anymore, since I sure did not engage you in an investment/housing bubble thread and has no interest in doing so. And you provide more links to articles that has nothing whatever about the points I made. Are you just lonely and need someone to talk to?

Last edited by beb0p; 11-30-2011 at 03:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 AM
 
4,345 posts, read 2,220,318 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You guys are out of your cotton picking minds. That home would sell for $50,000 here. No wonder my nephew moved away and he makes $100,000 a year. Geesh. What a dump.
Welcome to California

On the flip side ... a person can make a small fortune if they buy and then sell at the right time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,134 posts, read 13,916,670 times
Reputation: 15723
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I know this is a bit OT but it is a somewhat disconcerting to see

"flight safety stuff ... and drink. Heavily."

in the same short post.
It's a bit of a joke

Flight safety is basically just sittin in a conference room and being lectured for 8 hours a day for 5 days. It's ridiculously boring and doesn't teach anything new that we don't already know.

I know a LOT of pilots and not one of them drinks anywhere near the time they have to fly. But on our days off? Party time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top