Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 32,879 times

Advertisements

Hi!!
I live in Maryland right now, and I want to relocate to California and just kind of start fresh. I am 21 years old, African american, I am a freelance Makeup Artist and Event Planner. I also do web design. My interests however are Music Promoting,producing, radio hosting, and singing.

Im looking for:

1. affordable living( Up here I pay $1,400 a month for a 1bd/ w/loft apt.)So, somewhere around that price.

2. Good colleges?

3. Somewhat of a nightlife...

4. A safe environment.

5. Diversity.. is somewhat important to me...I get along with all races and I stay to myself most of the time but, I just don't want to be in an area, where the people are rude just to be rude.
Also, it would be nice to be around other people my age.

I heard Oxnard was a good location...and maybe Oakland?

Also...is a car really needed in Cali, or is there public transportation?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
I'd drop the "cali" and come out for a visit and travel up and down the coast (you'll probably want to be on the coast) so that you can gain more focus and awareness about a very huge and diverse state (culturally and environmentally).

Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Do you speak Spanish? Just about everyone in Cali does. Not much diversity though. Mostly Columbians..

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiredbyart View Post
Hi!!
I live in Maryland right now, and I want to relocate to California and just kind of start fresh. I am 21 years old, African american, I am a freelance Makeup Artist and Event Planner. I also do web design. My interests however are Music Promoting,producing, radio hosting, and singing.

Im looking for:

1. affordable living( Up here I pay $1,400 a month for a 1bd/ w/loft apt.)So, somewhere around that price.

2. Good colleges?

3. Somewhat of a nightlife...

4. A safe environment.

5. Diversity.. is somewhat important to me...I get along with all races and I stay to myself most of the time but, I just don't want to be in an area, where the people are rude just to be rude.
Also, it would be nice to be around other people my age.

Also...is a car really needed in Cali, or is there public transportation?

Thanks in advance!!!
Everything depends on where you can find a job. You can probably find something for $1400 just about anywhere, but the size and quality will vary.
Almost everyone drives a car - even in the urban areas (maybe not SF as much).

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM

JaiJai- ok, I will do that. Thanks!

.highnlite - No, not really. I only know basic spanish,lol. Really? I thought California was more diverse than other states?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
????

Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Oxnard and I think Oakland are fairly diverse. Oxnard is White, Hispanic, Black, and Filipino and others. The thing is, I don't know how many jobs there are in either places which align with your interests....just not sure....Oxnard has a lot of people associated with Navy Base Ventura County and also it has an agricultural heritage but now more farm fields are being plowed over into business parks.

I would recommend you do job searching and find places that have jobs which you can apply to. Maybe there are clusters or special areas.

Also, just about no matter where you find a job, there will be no problem finding diverse neighborhoods to live in.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Charles- That's true, I do need to see where I can get a job first.Good, I'm glad about the housing prices, now I need to buy a car.....Thanks!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
????
Lol, well those two places came up on another thread on this site as being ok places to live.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Someone was pulling your leg re: Oxnard. It has NONE of what you are looking for. The problem with your query is that California is VAST. There is no one answer. You need to do a lot more research and then come for a exploratory visit. (Not to Oxnard.) Pin down a few areas you are really interested in and come back to us with specific queries. The "Search forum" button is your friend also. Later,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California