U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 PM

1,819 posts, read 992,874 times
Thumbs Up on SACTOWN:

Coastal Californias are always going to sell SAC short. Comparing SAC with Denver is a good and fair comparison. They are more alike than coastal california's will admit or even know because they don’t know Sacramento.

SAC may not be as urban in the central core compared to Denver, but SAC's midtown and inner ring of older neighborhoods is urbane-minded, liberal, and very attractive.

SAC has a great and diverse restaurant-foodie scene. SAC has taken it’s ques from SF and Napa, and from our own great central valley, which has a huge supply of small organic farmers. We have our own wine growing region in Amador and El Dorado counties.

SAC has a great variety of community theater.

We’ve got a beautiful brand new easy-in easy-out airport. Non-stops to all the big hubs in the Nation (and Mexico and Hawaii).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Everything is less expensive in SAC compared to coastal California and without the huge crowds of southern cal. Our housing stock is a huge huge bargain right now.

SAC proper has one of THE most diverse populations in the nation.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 AM

17,033 posts, read 12,902,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, every other joint in town was a bbq house or big box chain of some kind. I don't really like bbq all that much. So I wasn't too impressed. And forget fresh fish, fruits and vegatables on the menu. Our kids did like hometown buffet. Although looking at the clientele was a scary look into the future of more frequent visits.

Derek
The home town buffet here has it's clientele too Very large ones.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Check this out

Damn I HATE that Sacramento is SO hot!!! It's 100+ degrees everyday here and I HATE it!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM

24,787 posts, read 30,918,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdattaray View Post
I know I posted this in the Sacramento Forum but impatient me didn't get any responses, so here it goes again:

How would you compare Denver, CO to Sacramento, CA?

Just curious, finished law school in Denver (Boulder actually but lived in Denver), passed CA Bar, currently in L.A. (native), thinking about moving to Sac because of family-friendliness.
I lived in Sacramento for 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, and would still probably be there were it not for family issues causing me to return to the Bay Area, but Im glad I moved back for other reasons.

The only complaint I had about living in Sacramento was the infernally hot summers. Other than that, I give Sac very high marks for cost of living, for its lush greenery, for its friendly people, for its very nice parks and surrounding areas, for its river access, for its numerous cultural offerings and diversity etc.

As far as family friendliness, I think nowdays it depends more on the parents than the place, but Sacramento has lots of nice family friendly neighborhoods and suburbs. Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Don't listen to that crap about Sacramento's summers.

Typical summer day: (3pm, 90 temp, 15% humidity), (by 8pm, 72 temp with cool breezes), (by 5am 58 temp).

Seriously, if you do your research, you will find that Sacramento summers are cooler, much much cooler than the desert southwest, and the south, midwest, and east coast but,

You have to account for the heat index, can't just go by high temps, and you have to look at evening and night time temps over the course of the whole summer. AND, you can't say SAC is like the rest of the Central Valley because we are consistently cooled by the Bay-Delta channel which brings in that "frosty" cold moist wind from the Nor-Cal coast.

Coastal Californias are so sensitive to heat and cold because their weather is near perfect. They give SAC a bad rap cuz anything remotely off the perfect scale sends their media into a tail spend about how "hot" it was in Sacramento.

They have never spent a whole summer in places that are hotter and/or more humid -- like most of the rest of the country. Most people who have lived in the desert southwest, deep south, midwest, east coast AND lived in Sacramento for a while can tell you coastal Californias are simply misinformed.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-03-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM

More on SAC:

Art lovers: SAC has a new expanded rockin art museum. Crocker Art Museum. google it.

SAC is a huge SKI town. We grow-up skiing/snowboarding. From our eastern burbs, Tahoe resorts are 45mins away. I honestly can say many TAHOE resorts are just as good and some ways better than Colorado.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-03-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 AM

So

what I've learned here.

100 degrees != 100 degrees

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

3,651 posts, read 6,649,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Don't listen to that crap about Sacramento's summers.

Typical summer day: (3pm, 90 temp, 15% humidity), (by 8pm, 72 temp with cool breezes), (by 5am 58 temp).

Seriously, if you do your research, you will find that Sacramento summers are cooler, much much cooler than the desert southwest, and the south, midwest, and east coast but,

You have to account for the heat index, can't just go by high temps, and you have to look at evening and night time temps over the course of the whole summer. AND, you can't say SAC is like the rest of the Central Valley because we are consistently cooled by the Bay-Delta channel which brings in that "frosty" cold moist wind from the Nor-Cal coast.

Coastal Californias are so sensitive to heat and cold because their weather is near perfect. They give SAC a bad rap cuz anything remotely off the perfect scale sends their media into a tail spend about how "hot" it was in Sacramento.

They have never spent a whole summer in places that are hotter and/or more humid -- like most of the rest of the country. Most people who have lived in the desert southwest, deep south, midwest, east coast AND lived in Sacramento for a while can tell you coastal Californias are simply misinformed.
There is a lot of disagreement even among SAC residents about how tolerable the weather is in Summer. And they are not all from the coast which the OP is (Long Beach). See this post as an example from the SAC forum: Damn I HATE that Sacramento is SO hot!!! It's 100+ degrees everyday here and I HATE it!.

Bottom line is 90-100+ temps during the summer are not too bad for some ppl while oppressive for others. The same thing can be said for other types of weather like the fog of the PNW or the snow climate of CO, etc... Its simply not for everyone, like almost anywhere.

Derek

Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There is a lot of disagreement even among SAC residents about how tolerable the weather is in Summer. And they are not all from the coast which the OP is (Long Beach). See this post as an example from the SAC forum: Damn I HATE that Sacramento is SO hot!!! It's 100+ degrees everyday here and I HATE it!.

Bottom line is 90-100+ temps during the summer are not too bad for some ppl while oppressive for others. The same thing can be said for other types of weather like the fog of the PNW or the snow climate of CO, etc... Its simply not for everyone, like almost anywhere.

Derek
Very diplomatic I must add though that a lot of people inquiring are in Denver now so if they think Denver can get hot in the summer they are in for a real shocker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California