U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:33 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,246,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There is a lot of disagreement even among SAC residents about how tolerable the weather is in Summer. And they are not all from the coast which the OP is (Long Beach). See this post as an example from the SAC forum: Damn I HATE that Sacramento is SO hot!!! It's 100+ degrees everyday here and I HATE it!.

Bottom line is 90-100+ temps during the summer are not too bad for some ppl while oppressive for others. The same thing can be said for other types of weather like the fog of the PNW or the snow climate of CO, etc... Its simply not for everyone, like almost anywhere.

Derek
Yeah, it is all relative. It's like when people in the Bay Area say San Jose is WAY TOO HOT IN THE SUMMER!

lol, yeah San Jose in July, a high of 82 degrees and low of 58 is too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM

1,666 posts, read 873,706 times
I grew up in SD (clairemont, pb, la jolla) and I have lived all over the State including Tahoe, coastal LA, and SF.

I know Cali weather.

Every summer, (except last summer, there were no hot spells), SAC will have a 4day spell of 100 degree days, where the Delta Breeze shuts down. This is when everyone and her mother will post how hot it is.

Never, do they post, how nice the weather actually is. That would be like someone from LA posting everyday: another perfect day, 78, marine layer to burn off by noon, and return in the evening.

Incidently, it's been perfectly clear here, yesterday high 67.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM

More on SAC:

You sort to have to think of SacTown within the Nor-Cal Region; which has a ton to offer all under 2hours.

The average Sacramentan is very outdoorsy; and we have a much larger and diverse range to offer the outdoorsman with better weather than Colorado.

Alpine mtns, foothills, bay, delta, rivers, mountain creeks and rivers. Ocean and rugged coast.

You can surf in Pacifica (just south of SF), just under 2hr drive.

Better yet, all in SAC, you can kayak on the American (River) in the fall and winter; or raft it in the summer. Jet Ski the Sacramento (River), Water Ski Folsom Lake.

Foothills are great for hiking, deer hunting, and first class white water rafting (30mins drive). Duck hunting is very big up here too within 30mins in the Delta and other environs.

Sierra High Country: Rock climbing, camping, fishing, hiking. I have friends from Denver who live in SAC and they are very happy, especially for the climbing opps nearby.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM

3,606 posts, read 6,442,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I grew up in SD (clairemont, pb, la jolla) and I have lived all over the State including Tahoe, coastal LA, and SF.

I know Cali weather.

Every summer, (except last summer, there were no hot spells), SAC will have a 4day spell of 100 degree days, where the Delta Breeze shuts down. This is when everyone and her mother will post how hot it is.

Never, do they post, how nice the weather actually is. That would be like someone from LA posting everyday: another perfect day, 78, marine layer to burn off by noon, and return in the evening.

Incidently, it's been perfectly clear here, yesterday high 67.
Hahaa, just heard from our family in Denver and its 19 degrees and snowing pretty good right now.

The OP hasn't mentioned weather, so maybe that's not a big issue for him/her. I'd be more concerned with the air quality. It does look like it has improved some: http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...t-fresher.html.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-03-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 PM

13,437 posts, read 6,383,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I lived in Sacramento in the early 90s and the intense summer heat was one of the reasons I decided to move back here to SoCal. I also couldn't believe the crime rate throughout the region, even in places like Roseville and Rocklin. I was shocked when I learned that Eric Leonard AKA the "Thrill Killer" lived on my street!

Sacramentans can have the heat and crime. At least I know I can always go up there to visit--and even happier to know I can always go back home, too.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So

what I've learned here.

100 degrees != 100 degrees
A hearty AMEN to that!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdattaray View Post
Vdy--

Even the Indian food, my personal favorite, is bland.

What is positive about Denver is that it is a very liveable city, and the people are generally friendlier (or stay to themselves) than L.A., at least. And with young children, it can be a lot of fun between the art museums (which were incredibly kid friendly), the main library, 16th Street Mall, Children's Museum, and the Platte Riverfront all downtown. I loved my commute ten minutes door to door from Stapleton to Downtown Denver, where I spent my first summer. But, best of all, was going to Rockies' games downtown during the summer after work with my wife and kids!

Will I be able to replicate that in Sacramento?
mdattaray,

I think you will be happy with SAC restaurants, great access to small organic farmers, great growing climate, wine regions surround us:

Google: "urbanspoon, east sacramento restaurants", you'll see many of many favorites there.

For starters, two of my favorites: Indian: Bombay Bar & Grill (21st street) Thai: Corner of J street and 33rd street; I go there so much I never paid attention to the name (Thai Palace)

The RiverCats Triple A baseball is in a beautiful stadium on the Riverfront in West Sacramento, very very family friendly, excellent views of the field for cheap, and great views of downtown SAC. You won't find thugs beating on visiting fans like Dodger Stadium.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,189,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I lived in Sacramento in the early 90s and the intense summer heat was one of the reasons I decided to move back here to SoCal. I also couldn't believe the crime rate throughout the region, even in places like Roseville and Rocklin. I was shocked when I learned that Eric Leonard AKA the "Thrill Killer" lived on my street!

Sacramentans can have the heat and crime. At least I know I can always go up there to visit--and even happier to know I can always go back home, too.
Living in the early 90's is uniquely retro but decidedly antiquated.

Percent of population over 25 with bachelors degrees: 25% = national average
Rocklin: 36.1
Roseville: 31.4
Lakewood (your town):20.7

Crime rate for the last three years 319.1 =national average
Roseville 258.6, 235.9,226.6
Rocklin 183.0, 170.9, 165.9
Lakewood(your town) 293.2, 293.9, 245.4

The irony of someone from LA county trying to talk about another areas crime is simply too much

Old 12-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Professional/College Sports in SAC:

I’m a big sports fan. In town we have the NBA, (Sacramento Kings). SAC Kings fans are crazy fanatical. Hopefully we will build a new downtown arena. (fingers crossed).

We have the Best triple A baseball stadium and team in the nation. (Sacramento River Cats). Beautiful stadium, fan and family friendly, views of downtown, no thugs.

Also, I take several football/baseball trips to the Bay every year: SF 49ers and Giants, and the Oakland Raiders and A’s. San Jose Sharks (Hockey). College ball: CAL & the CARDINAL (UC Berkeley and Stanford). (1hr to 2hr drive).

NCAA in town: UC Davis football and Sac State football.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Living in the early 90's is uniquely retro but decidedly antiquated.

Percent of population over 25 with bachelors degrees: 25% = national average
Rocklin: 36.1
Roseville: 31.4
Lakewood (your town):20.7

Crime rate for the last three years 319.1 =national average
Roseville 258.6, 235.9,226.6
Rocklin 183.0, 170.9, 165.9
Lakewood(your town) 293.2, 293.9, 245.4
What is the source of your statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The irony of someone from LA county trying to talk about another areas crime is simply too much
Well, I'm glad I made you chuckle. Have a great rest of your weekend, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California