U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM

23,548 posts, read 27,957,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't think I'd characterize the drive from Sac to the Bay Area as "easy". Sometimes just getting out of the traffic after a game in SF is a nightmare, let alone driving all the way back to Sac. afterward.
When I first moved to Sacramento, I was commuting to Downtown SF--that only lasted for a little while before I started feeling numb and decided to work in Sac.

"Easy" is the last word Id use to describe that hellacious commute.

As far as occasional drives back and forth, its really a hit and miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-04-2011, 02:53 AM

1,307 posts, read 653,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
How often do you really go to football games each year; unless you are a season ticket holder? So the few times you do it, you make a big day of it. Most games are on Sunday so you Tail gate! You make time for the drive to and fro: it works fine.

Better yet, I stay with friends either the night before or the night after.

We've been to one 49er game, and one Stanford game this season. If I lived in SF, would I go more, probably, yet maybe not, because it costs too much.

Thats why we have sports bars and entertainment centers at home.

Also, taking the train to Oakland A's games is fun with a group of people, you party on the train, no traffic. (The train ride is 2hrs from SAC to Oakland)
Commuting everyday for work is not the same as going down for a football game. You simply schedule in a whole day of fun which includes your drive down there -- its a whole different mind set. And you do it just a few times a year.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-04-2011 at 03:25 AM..

Unread 12-04-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I don't get people who complain about Sac's weather either. Yes, it does get somewhat hot during the summer. But in SF, it is usually always cold. Not everyone likes cold weather. It is hardly ever warm in the city. I just think those who complain about Sac's weather are from coast CA because anybody who's from the rest of the country would know that Sac's weather is terrific.
You put this much more succinctly than me.

Before I had been anywhere outside of Cali, I had no idea how great Sacramento weather really was.

The media perpetuates these misnomers too. Watching the Seahawks/Philly game the other day they commented that is was a "bit cool" in Seattle for the game. It was 33 freaking degrees.

If it was that cold in SF or SAC during the game, they would say it was "bitterly" cold and make big deal about how the "bitter cold" might affect the outcome of the game.

Unread 12-04-2011, 06:37 PM

364 posts, read 277,563 times
Sac is a nice area. But summers in Sac are brutal. I like warm weather. But getting off a plane in Sac in the summer will bring you to your knees. It is hot. And it's not just the temperature, but it just feels hot. Oppressively hot.

Unread 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM

What to do when it’s 65 degrees, blue skys, full sun in Sacramento in early Dec?

You get up early, bring your loved ones to your favorite coffee place and cheer on the thousands of marathon runners at the California International Marathon - SAC’s annual olympic qualifying marathon - The fastest marathon in the West.

This marathon starts in Folsom (the lake and city) and makes its way through Sacramento and terminates at the Capitol Bldg. Along the way, restaurants and business set-up entertainment venues and water booths for the runners. See photos: http://www.kcra.com/sports/29883703/detail.html (broken link)

When you’re done with that, You take a 3 hr hike high above Sacramento’s beautiful Folsom Lake. Bring the dogs and the little ones and hit the horse trail that takes you up and down through oak and pine covered hills.

You see a lone water skier being pulled by a motor boat, way down below on the lake and a couple of fishing boats. Horseback riders and other hikers greet you on your journey through this beautiful natural setting.

When done with that, you leave your loved ones and hit your local Sacramento sports bar to watch the 49ers kick ass, again.

We don't always go to the High Country or Ocean for recreation, we reserve that for next month when there's hecka snow in Tahoe and football season is near its end.

Unread 12-04-2011, 11:26 PM

13,991 posts, read 8,054,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Sac is a nice area. But summers in Sac are brutal. I like warm weather. But getting off a plane in Sac in the summer will bring you to your knees. It is hot. And it's not just the temperature, but it just feels hot. Oppressively hot.
Oppressively hot is reserved for the Deep South in the summer. Sacramento's 90 is nothing like 90 in the inland South. It is tolerable to be outside for an hour.

Unread 12-04-2011, 11:28 PM

1,169 posts, read 2,138,105 times
I don't know about you guys, but I like my summers to be hot. Not lukewarm, mild, or cool. There is nothing like warm summer nights. I don't want to have to wear a sweater in July at midnight. Sac has great weather overall.

Unread 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM

13,991 posts, read 8,054,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Commuting everyday for work is not the same as going down for a football game. You simply schedule in a whole day of fun which includes your drive down there -- its a whole different mind set. And you do it just a few times a year.
The best kept secret: take Amtrak from Sacramento to the Bay Area. The train leaves from Downtown Sacramento and takes 80-120 minutes to get to Oakland. Typically 90 minutes on the weekend. The weekdays take longer. There are some connecting buses to other areas in the Sacramento metro area and the train stops in Davis.

You can get off in Richmond to connect to BART (to go SF or other parts of the Bay Area), or there is even a stop at the Oakland Coliseum if you are going to an As or Raiders game. It stops in Berkeley, Emeryvile, Oakland, Hayward and San Jose.

And they just added wifi on the trains, and it runs fairly frequently -- at least 5 times a day, I think they are up to 8 now.

There are seasonal changes in fare, but it is around $20 each way.

Unread 12-05-2011, 12:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,822,221 times
It is true that Sac is lacking a lot of marquis attractions of big time cities and metros, but that is to be expected.

It is also true that there is not a lot of urban vibrancy.

I would not call it dull, how ever. There is a lot going on. People go to the ballet, the theater, comedy clubs, wine tasting, art walks, drinking and dancing like anywhere else. As far as amenities go, I'd say its in the middle for metros it size. Not top notch like Austin, Portland, or even Cleveland but not exactly Jacksonville, Fresno, or Buffalo either.

It can get hot at times but that comes with the territory. Unlike the coastal cities sac is one of the top 10 most sunny cities in the US. Average temps in sac for July and August are like 92-93 degrees with an average low in the 60's.

I've never understood why people knock sac for being near interesting places. It's like when people say Denver is near the Rockies or the bay area is near wine country or the beach, everyone ooo's and ah's, but when people mention the cool things sac is near people get indignant..

Unread 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The best kept secret: take Amtrak from Sacramento to the Bay Area. The train leaves from Downtown Sacramento and takes 80-120 minutes to get to Oakland. Typically 90 minutes on the weekend. The weekdays take longer. There are some connecting buses to other areas in the Sacramento metro area and the train stops in Davis.

You can get off in Richmond to connect to BART (to go SF or other parts of the Bay Area), or there is even a stop at the Oakland Coliseum if you are going to an As or Raiders game. It stops in Berkeley, Emeryvile, Oakland, Hayward and San Jose.

And they just added wifi on the trains, and it runs fairly frequently -- at least 5 times a day, I think they are up to 8 now.

There are seasonal changes in fare, but it is around $20 each way.
How often do you really go to football games each year; unless you are a season ticket holder? So the few times you do it, you make a big day of it. Most games are on Sunday so you Tail gate! You make time for the drive to and fro: it works fine.

Better yet, I stay with friends either the night before or the night after.

We've been to one 49er game, and one Stanford game this season. If I lived in SF, would I go more, probably, yet maybe not, because it costs too much.

Thats why we have sports bars and entertainment centers at home.

Also, taking the train to Oakland A's games is fun with a group of people, you party on the train, no traffic. (The train ride is 2hrs from SAC to Oakland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California