Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdattaray View Post
Joseppi--

Having just moved from Denver (May 2011) and having looked desperately for good food, the food scene other than your standard American fare or chain-restaurant is TERRIBLE.

Even the Mexican food is plain bad, and I even took in to consideration that it is a different style of Mexican than what we are used to in California.

I am more interested in comparing liveability (sic) in both cities -- i.e. commute times, family friendly activities (not the prevalence of Chuck E. Cheese's), quality of life type stuff.

But, again, going back to food scenes, nothing in Colorado compares to California. Sorry. We looked for GOOD Dim Sum in Denver -- non-existent. The Asian restaurants, even on Federal, cater to a very bland-taste preferring clientelle (can I get more P.C.?). I found a Chinese place on Mississippi and Colorado, just south of Murray BMW which was the best Chinese food in Denver, and which, having now come back to L.A., would be considered mediocre at best.
I grant you Mexican food as many people in Denver drive to Pueblo for our local Mexican food restaurants. In fact in Colorado Pueblo is known as the best city for Mexican food. Other then that I have to disagree with you. I went to grad school in San Diego and spent many days in LA and Denver more then compares with its restaurants. I could list a bunch of names but anyone could find them if they google Denver restaurants. Denver, also, has a better urban area then Sac town with great restaurants all in walking distance to the Denver Performing Arts center.

On your question about livability. I have not spent much time in Sac town so I won't try to compare. I don't know what their commute times are but I have never had a issue in Denver, even during Bronco games. Sure they get heavy traffic but its nothing like some large cities I have been to. They have great neighborhoods and great suburbs that are perfect to raise a family. Personally if I was going to live in the suburbs of Denver I would go west or south by the mountains. Some of them I would look at are: Golden, Lakewood, Parker, Wheatridge.

Overall if I had to pick a city to live in between the two I would go to Denver. This is not a hit on Sac town but I just think there is much more to do in Denver and it seems like overall a much nicer city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
BTW this is a good comparison. They are both mid-sized cities/metros.

Sacramento has a lot going for it.

However, if you are a big sports fan, Denver may be better as they have all 4 of the major professional sports in the city.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM

56 posts, read 235,887 times
Josseppie--

I looked at the suburban areas; not my cup of tea. I like the inner ring of older suburbs surrounding downtown Denver--east to Stapleton, south to Cherry Creek, and west to Highlands. those houses and neighborhoods have tremendous charm. However, I just passed the CA Bar and will not be moving back to CO. In reality my decision is between staying put in the L.A. area and moving north to the Sacramento area. The reason I am asking for comparisons between Denver and Sacramento is because (1) they appear very similar admittedly on paper, (2) I've heard they are similar in terms of family-friendliness, and (3) because although we won't move back to CO there are parts of Denver-life we wouldn't mind replicating here in CA.

So what are the similarities if any? And the differences? And which are more prevalent? And why?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Vdy1985--

I am a sports fan, and I loved that Denver had all THREE of the major sports (not a hockey fan). But in Sacramento, I could easily drive to S.F. or Oakland to get my sports fix right?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Josseppie--

I looked at the suburban areas; not my cup of tea. I like the inner ring of older suburbs surrounding downtown Denver--east to Stapleton, south to Cherry Creek, and west to Highlands. those houses and neighborhoods have tremendous charm. However, I just passed the CA Bar and will not be moving back to CO. In reality my decision is between staying put in the L.A. area and moving north to the Sacramento area. The reason I am asking for comparisons between Denver and Sacramento is because (1) they appear very similar admittedly on paper, (2) I've heard they are similar in terms of family-friendliness, and (3) because although we won't move back to CO there are parts of Denver-life we wouldn't mind replicating here in CA.

So what are the similarities if any? And the differences? And which are more prevalent? And why?
If you are looking for family friendly yet a city with a lot to do in California then I would pick San Diego. In my opinion its the best city in the state. As far as Sac town. I just don't think its comparable to Denver on any level other then they are about the same population.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Angry Tax Payer--

How so? That is what I am trying to discover. From what I can tell on paper, beyond being state capitals, both seem to share very similar characteristics (climate aside) -- affordable housing, similar population size, family-friendliness (or so I've heard).

Please explain.
I've lived in Denver and hung out a lot in Sac since I've got friends there. Sac seems to be sandwiched between the coast and the mts and you have a pretty good drive for either. Granted, to ski you have to do that in Denver too but much of what is considered Denver is in the foot hills. Different culture for sure between the two. The weather is completely different. Denver can get nasty cold lows below zero for days at a time and Sac can get over 110 for days at a time. I give Denver the hands down on friendly people. To me Denver is a big mt town while Sac is in the valley. One has that distinct midwest cowboy feel while the other doesn't. When you hear people talk about it and things to do it's always san fran or the mts with a big drive. Then Sports? No comparision.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When you hear people talk about it and things to do it's always san fran or the mts with a big drive. Then Sports? No comparision.
That is the sense I get about Sac. It seems like a great town, and they def have proximity to other destinations. If we compare Denver to Sac, I think Denver offers more overall in terms of city living and having a real urban/downtown experience (ie. Downtown Denver is a lot more put together than Sac, not a slam at Sac, but it is what it is). But Denver is so ISOLATED. That is the thing that gets to me about relocating there. Sacramento has the whole Bay Area within reach, which is a plus for me, as a lot of my family is in the Bay Area. Also the Bay Area has so much to offer, which is all within reach of Sacramento.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Vdy1985--

I am a sports fan, and I loved that Denver had all THREE of the major sports (not a hockey fan). But in Sacramento, I could easily drive to S.F. or Oakland to get my sports fix right?
Yeah, but it is so different compared to going to a game in your own city. Driving to SF and Oakland to see games is so much more of a journey that you are probably going to be much less likely to go compared to having the teams in the area you reside.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
But Denver is so ISOLATED. That is the thing that gets to me about relocating there. Sacramento has the whole Bay Area within reach, which is a plus for me, as a lot of my family is in the Bay Area. Also the Bay Area has so much to offer, which is all within reach of Sacramento.
That was the feeling I got living in Denver--isolated. We took day trips to the mountains (primarily Georgetown, Idaho Springs, and Breckenridge), I commuted M-F to Boulder for school, had friends in Castle Rock and the Springs, drove to Cheyenne (90 minutes up I-25) for Frontier Days, etc.

But to get to the next comparable size city in either direction (SLC or KC) takes about 6 hours West and 7.5 hours East.

Whereas, in CA and East of the Miss. R., big cities tend to cluster near each other. Not so in the Inter-Mountain West.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Josseppie--

Interesting, while Denver and LA may be your points of reference I don't think you are going to find Sac to be like Denver. We lived in the Springs and have relatives in Denver and its just so different from CA in so many ways. You are right about the food scene being much better in CA. There is just way more ethnic diversity in the major CA cities than Denver which is very insular by comparison. Denver is the only large city of its kind for hundreds and hundreds of miles. That can be good if you like living that way. Or you can feel totally land locked in the middle of the nation. I couldn't stand being that far from the coast or more international cities.

In your case you may want to consider living closer to the Bay area if moving north from LA. Sacramento has its pros/cons like anywhere. One deterant in the Central Valley is very poor air quality. For an active family that may be something to consider. As you move closer to the coast the air qaulity improves and you get closer to your sporting events.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California