Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:33 PM

258 posts, read 612,402 times

Advertisements

I know a lot Calif. Natives that moved to Florida. Sarasota, Naples, Plantation, Ocala, Jupitor, etc,

Florida now, for the most part is Calif. 25 years ago. In a strange way, the humidity has kept a lot people from coming to Florida.

A lot of Florida is still raw and pure.

I know a 62 yr old fomer Costa Mesa Evil Kneivel ( Moto Cop ). He's since retired, living mostly in Colombia, S.A. But when he travels back to US, he loves Florida, and wants to buy a home/condo in Surfside. He's says, today, Orange County ( CA ) makes him want to vomit.

He has no plans of returning to California.

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 12-04-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,489,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfire View Post
So here's the situation: Young, married professional with a newborn on the way, $130K+ combined earnings (wife only works part time), and renting.

The problem is, my lease just expired, and the landlord wants to bump up rent by $300 / mo. This might be the proverbial straw on the camels back, because it's getting tougher to live in the bay area financially.

It's not that I can't afford to live here - it's just that I'm not sure if I want to anymore. The commute, long hours and stress from the job, extremely high living costs all contribute to an environment that makes it kind of a family un-friendly area.

If I was still single, this would be fine. But trying to start a family in the bay area as a young couple seems very difficult, and so I've thought about going to Boise, ID, or somewhere in Colorado, where cost of living is much more reasonable, and can use some of the money I've accumulated to actually buy a decent home and start a family.

Anyone else been in the same boat? What did you do?
I'm in the exact same situation .. I live in the bay area but clear your income solely.... It's still absurd to me though ... I have been here for 4 years... with someone for a long time though and am looking to move so that I can pursue home ownership comfortably. You are not crazy and are of the right mindset IMO. When you start a family, priorities change .. renting especially in this absurd environment don't top priorities for me. A good school for the kids, an affordable nice home to raise them, and stable financial situation for my family does.. and the bay area doesn't offer much of that IMO.

Best of luck on your move. You aren't alone though. I am glad I got a chance to come to Calif. and I have loved all of my experiences.. It's the place to be if you're young and want to have a ball... but as you get older and start a family.. priorities change. You're mature and wise person for thinking down the road. Many Americans don't .. and well :

They are the ones you see on TV crying for the govt. to subsidize their lives.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 12-04-2011 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I know a lot Calif. Natives that moved to Florida. Sarasota, Naples, Plantation, Ocala, Jupitor, etc,

Florida now, for the most part is Calif. 25 years ago. In a strange way, the humidity has kept a lot people from coming to Florida.

A lot of Florida is still raw and pure.

I know a 62 yr old fomer Costa Mesa Evil Kneivel ( Moto Cop ). He's since retired, living mostly in Colombia, S.A. But when he travels back to US, he loves Florida, and wants to buy a home/condo in Surfside. He's says, today, Orange County ( CA ) makes him want to vomit.

He has no plans of returning to California.
Shhhhh ! stop advertising FL to these Californians !
I want my home to be 'home' when I return !

Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealtite View Post
how in the hell is your landlord spinning the justification in a $300/mo bump in rent? That's just absurd. I could see $50 or maybe eve $100 in a good economy, but $300? I'm assuming that they're asking for this when you renew your lease agreement. In that case, i'd just tell them to find some other sucker to leach the extra $3600/year from, and move somewhere else locally.

In the long-term, yeah do your research and find a part of the country that suits you the best. I'm new to california, however i've noticed that a lot of the younger natives i've met here seem to be somewhat clueless as to how easy it is to live somewhere else. I knew what i was getting into when i moved here, weighed the good with the bad, etc. I can always go back east, and i know that. I feel really sorry for anyone who was born and raised in california, and doesn't know what's "out there" beyond the desert. Sure, the weather's ****ty, but things like actual home ownership (getting a mortgage paid off in 10-15 years, property taxes in the $2-$3,000 range) actually do exist out there.

What type of work are you and your wife in?
+1 .. Then again, I had a friend who i went to school with who was born and raised in California... Lived in orange county. Even though he was a tech major, he never once stepped foot back in California.. When I told him energetically about my move to the valley.. he called me an idiot :-o .. I was shocked. I was like "Dude ! It's the place to be .. you're from California .. are you crazy? Why did you never go back?" .. he remarked : i want to own a home and land ... it's too expensive there and absurd.... So, I guess some natives get it.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
I moved from San Diego to Spokane.......just too spendy living in Ca.

I really miss a lot about San Diego......the weather the most. But it is a lot nicer having a reasonable cost of living.

If the housing market in Ca would have been allowed to truly correct....well, I probably would have stayed in Ca.....but that did not happen. Now, you have a ton of speculators, among other things, propping up housing prices....oh well.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM

566 posts, read 1,932,176 times
We moved to CO after our second child. Our move was prompted by some of your reasons: CA too crowded and crazy, wanted a better quality of life and could not see raising our kids in CA. Plus CO seemed like an easier place to run our business. We were right. CO is a great place for families and it's a great place to do business. But it does take some adjusting to get used to the weather.

I grew up in CA during it's best years - before massive immigration and one-party government. CO is like CA used to be. New, clean, safe and with a good attitude towards business.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM

566 posts, read 1,932,176 times
That bit about radon is so much nonsense. No reason to worry. A radon test kit will tell you if you have exessive radon. If so it can be reduced through ventillation. We did so in our house with a basement ventillator.

The certainty of a big quake is a much greater concern to us than radon.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
That bit about radon is so much nonsense. No reason to worry. A radon test kit will tell you if you have exessive radon. If so it can be reduced through ventillation. We did so in our house with a basement ventillator.

The certainty of a big quake is a much greater concern to us than radon.
I wouldn't call it "nonsense".
The degree to which it is a health hazard is debatable but i'd rather be on the safe side and i imagine a father / husband would too.
It's good to be informed about radon and that's all i was doing for the o.p..
Most people aren't aware of it and many parts of CO have extremely high levels.
And parts of Idaho do as well.
The EPA recommends that if the level is 4 picocuries per liter, or pCi/L (or above) the homeowner should take action and, at least where i spend time in Idaho, mitigation systems are the norm.
In that county i think that homes now built need to have mitigation systems before they're sold and those systems need to bring the radon levels below 4 picocuries.
I believe the W.H.O recommends that a homeowner take action at even lower levels.
And radon is a greater concern to me than is an earthquake.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 125,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Wow. Just.....wow. What reason did your landlord site? Pure greed?
Well, unfortunately, due to all of the foreclosures since the housing bubble, it's forcing all of these displaced wannabe home owners into renting - which in turn increases demand, and there is a limited supply of housing, so rents go up.

Believe it or not, he's actually giving a discount with $300 / mo increase. He could easily do $500 and be right in line with all the other single family homes in the area.

I'll have to do some more research about homes in CO - I have a relative in Idaho, and when I visited and saw the home prices and how clean and nice the city was I was like...wow! Compared to CA...

Only thing that keeps me in the bay area is that all of my extended family, on both sides, lives nearby...which will probably play a factor in whatever I choose.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfire View Post
Well, unfortunately, due to all of the foreclosures since the housing bubble, it's forcing all of these displaced wannabe home owners into renting - which in turn increases demand, and there is a limited supply of housing, so rents go up.

Believe it or not, he's actually giving a discount with $300 / mo increase. He could easily do $500 and be right in line with all the other single family homes in the area.

I'll have to do some more research about homes in CO - I have a relative in Idaho, and when I visited and saw the home prices and how clean and nice the city was I was like...wow! Compared to CA...

Only thing that keeps me in the bay area is that all of my extended family, on both sides, lives nearby...which will probably play a factor in whatever I choose.
Boise, ID has a lot smaller population than the front range cities of CO (Denver, Colorado Spring, Fort Collins, et...). Consequently there is a lot more work available in CO. If you work from home you may want to consider Oregon as well since it is a closer drive back to the Bay Area. However Boise is still much closer than CO. Our relatives in CO who drive back to CA for family events take a couple days at least, its a 20+ hour drive.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California