Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,218,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
If you were making actual points or backed comments, i'd hear you out but you are doing nothing but talking your book.
Deal with it. I'd add more, but I don't want to get my reputation dinged by responding to petulant rants. There used to be an ignore feature on C-D, I wonder what happened to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM

296 posts, read 611,972 times
I didn't contradict myself. I lived in Sarasota, and not by my own choice. Also lived inland. And I've lived all over California, plus the midwest, plus outside the US.

I don't see what the whole battle is always about on this California forum. Always the same, unchanging perspectives. Why not try something different? Seriously- if you're making so much money and still unsatisfied with life in Silicon Valley why not step out from your comfort zone and try something new? I dare you to take a pay cut and go live somewhere where you might be happy with your surroundings and lifestyle.

I'd live in Rome before Silicon Valley, and I wouldn't complain about it being expensive. But that's just how I roll. Before I would live in Silicon Valley, just in CA, I'd live in 29 Palms and telecommute, so I could go hiking in JT whenever I want. Or Arcata, Shasta, San Diego, LA.. the list is pretty long actually. I've chosen several times to go live in places because I want to actually LIVE there, some of which, as you say "BFE," some not. After a certain level I could give a **** about money if I don't feel that I'm truly living. It's worked so far...

Now it's back to sunny, beautiful California. Greatest place in the world that I've seen so far. Guess I just don't care enough to read all the news and see how rotten of a place it really and truly is

Last edited by scottfreez; 12-06-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM

258 posts, read 612,402 times
Today, L.A. is truly a rat race.

I lived in SF Valley from late 80s to mid 90s.

I went back last year to visit since 1996. I felt really stressed driving on the 101 in the Valley. Back in the early 90s, off rush hour, traffic flowed well over Van Nuys exit. Now, I noticed at any time of the day, it was stop and go on 101, from the 405 exchange to Woodman Ave and beyond ... I remember driving from Van Nuys back to Calabasas, to my Hotel, on the 101. When I arrived at my Hotel, I was so stressed, my hands were shaking, and my breathing was altered and short to the point I had to meditate in the car a few minutes before getting out.

Los Angeles: Everyone is chasing the American Dream. Everyone wants to be a movie star. Everyone wants to be rich. Everyone is a slave to money.

I will always love Calif, and I'm a Floridian ... But L.A. is just to much for me, now.

From now on, I'm looking to visit a small town in So Cal .... Maybe Palm Springs.

The Calif Coast, the Beach is too cold, people addicted to their cell phones, the water freezing and way to populated now.

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 12-06-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,489,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
I didn't contradict myself. I lived in Sarasota, and not by my own choice.
Whose median age is 41.xx and is 65% white compared to a place like Orlando that is much more diverse and younger.. and alot more to do... and you make the comment to suggest Florida is full of hicks/rednecks and is undesirable .. Seems you picked the wrong part of FL and your opinion is as good as the confines of Sarasota ...

In 2009, Chula Vista - along with nine other second tier metropolitan area cities such as Hialeah and Southern California's Santa Ana - was ranked as one of the most boring cities in America by Forbes Magazine..

Seems such places are everywhere.

Quote:
Also lived inland. And I've lived all over California, plus the midwest, plus outside the US.
So have I and am well traveled.. Given that I am, the last thing I would do is suggest one city that I didn't want to belong in is indicative of a whole state. You seem to think this is the right thing to do.

Quote:
I don't see what the whole battle is always about on this California forum. Always the same, unchanging perspectives. Why not try something different? Seriously- if you're making so much money and still unsatisfied with life in Silicon Valley why not step out from your comfort zone and try something new? I dare you to take a pay cut and go live somewhere where you might be happy with your surroundings and lifestyle.
Where's the battle bro, do you read threads before inserting your two-bit opinion 'Thinking of exiting the rat race - anyone else have similar experiences?' ? Why not, not but into threads when you have nothing constructive to contribute and stop trying to attack people who have perspectives/opinions that aren't your own.

I've tried many different places. I have spent time inside/outside the country and thus I am not like your avg. talking head here who thinks everything revolves around this state. excuse me for not being from the usual cheerleading squad . And FYI, i've loved every minute of my years in California and am leaving and will take a pay cut. No need to dare me.

Quote:
I'd live in Rome before Silicon Valley, and I wouldn't complain about it being expensive. But that's just how I roll. Before I would live in Silicon Valley, just in CA, I'd live in 29 Palms and telecommute, so I could go hiking in JT whenever I want. Or Arcata, Shasta, San Diego, LA.. the list is pretty long actually. I've chosen several times to go live in places because I want to actually LIVE there, some of which, as you say "BFE," some not. After a certain level I could give a **** about money if I don't feel that I'm truly living. It's worked so far...
How you roll.. I've lived in FL (all over it) , NY, PA, TX, CA, VA, GA. I've traveled to Canada, Europe, China, Signapore, India .. One of the most important take aways is that its a big world with many happy intelligent beautiful people and places all over. What works for one person doesn't work NOR SCALE to be applicable to others. A person with a family has a much different set of priorities than a jett setting mobile single worker. The OP spoke from a perspective of having a family and wanted to provide for them.. Is your experience similar? No.. and I don't think the OP asked for it.

Quote:
Now it's back to sunny, beautiful California. Greatest place in the world that I've seen so far. Guess I just don't care enough to read all the news and see how rotten of a place it really and truly is
You are probably the kind of person that doesn't get involved in anything outside their life if you don't care to know about the bad vs. the good.. NO worrries, there are lots of people like you in California and its part of the reason the govt. and subsequent state financial situation is the way it is.. No place like this has a future when people don't care to be 'informed' about the many things that shape it.

So, thnx for sharing your views. I note it to be common among many Californians and have used it in many risk projections associated with establishing a family here.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM

California women are impossible. They are addicted to money, the cell phone, and unless you're a wealthy Movie Star, attractive CA women simply will not give an average guy a chance.

A wealthy, wise old man once said, about Calif. women: They have half the money and all the p___y.

I would rather marry a poor Mexican girl then be involved with a woman from Los Angeles.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Immigrants, legal and illegal, GREED and the TV & Motion Picture Industry has ruined a lot of Southern California.

Jewish-Americans dominate the media, and they dominate all the major power positions in Los Angeles. Jeffrey Katzenberg, Norman Lear, Micheal Millken, Lew Wasserman ( deceased ), Micheal Eisner, David Geffen, all Jews, and mega rich, control the media. And many could care less about the sufferring. Only Milken has given large amounts of money to non Jewish organizations, and that's only becuase of pressure put on Jews to give back to non Jewish organizations.

American TV, News and Films are the most powerful messages viewed by human beings.

The people who control the media have a higher responsiblity, and they should be more sensitive to families, but instead all they care about is money, and whatever makes money is what they green light.

Today, TV and most Films are a joke.

Marshall Mcluhan and Marlon Brando are rolling in the graves.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,580,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So....as I said....California is home to many wealthy individuals. When you're worth millions you tend not to live in the dirty South...ya know?
Atlanta has plenty of wealthy people as well, South Florida is noted for a high % of wealthy as well, obviously you never been here to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Also, Florida? Florida is gross....its always going to be cheaper...

Gross, can you define? I'm really intrigued by your statement. Cheaper, sure must be why I keep seeing CA plates here, no place else where you will be warm during the winter in the US.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:

I also lived in Florida.. Sure, "nice" weather, but it's the most boring, redneck place I've ever been in. Since I hope to never, ever retire, I guess FLA's just not for me..
Sure there are rednecks here, but find me one state where you wont' avoid them? CA has plenty too. The % of them in South Florida is much lower the closer you are to the coast. If you were bored here then blame the reflection in the mirror.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Immigrants, legal and illegal, GREED and the TV & Motion Picture Industry has ruined a lot of Southern California.

Jewish-Americans dominate the media, and they dominate all the major power positions in Los Angeles. Jeffrey Katzenberg, Norman Lear, Micheal Millken, Lew Wasserman ( deceased ), Micheal Eisner, David Geffen, all Jews, and mega rich, control the media. And many could care less about the sufferring. Only Milken has given large amounts of money to non Jewish organizations, and that's only becuase of pressure put on Jews to give back to non Jewish organizations.

American TV, News and Films are the most powerful messages viewed by human beings.

The people who control the media have a higher responsiblity, and they should be more sensitive to families, but instead all they care about is money, and whatever makes money is what they green light.

Today, TV and most Films are a joke.

Marshall Mcluhan and Marlon Brando are rolling in the graves.
How lovely ... an anti-Semitic misogynist.
At least the Mexicans get a reprieve for a brief cyber moment
Kill your television.
Everyone needs to if there's going to be a collective wake-up.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Whose median age is 41.xx and is 65% white compared to a place like Orlando that is much more diverse and younger.. and alot more to do... and you make the comment to suggest Florida is full of hicks/rednecks and is undesirable .. Seems you picked the wrong part of FL and your opinion is as good as the confines of Sarasota ...
Problem is most people base their views on Florida by one trip to Disney in their life during the middle of July. Orlando is not the best of what the state has to offer in my opinion.

Quote:

How you roll.. I've lived in FL (all over it) , NY, PA, TX, CA, VA, GA. I've traveled to Canada, Europe, China, Signapore, India .. One of the most important take aways is that its a big world with many happy intelligent beautiful people and places all over. What works for one person doesn't work NOR SCALE to be applicable to others. A person with a family has a much different set of priorities than a jett setting mobile single worker. The OP spoke from a perspective of having a family and wanted to provide for them.. Is your experience similar? No.. and I don't think the OP asked for it.

You lived all over, but your only in your mid 20's so you previously stated. So I'm guessing you were a kid following your parents or parent around? Or you lived in all those states for a few months at a time? Well there is a difference when you move around when you are an adult and relying on your own to make ends meet, doing the 8 to 5 grind with a 1 hour commute one way to get there is a big difference. Some people have a lot of family support, both emotionally and financially that makes thing easy, some don't have neither and are on their own. As much as I contemplate moving to where the jobs are in the Bay Area, the logistics alone are costly, most companies won't pay for relocation like they use to. Nevermind trying to start a new job working 60 hours a week, and trying to find a place to live and all the associated BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California