Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times

Advertisements

I knew that the winter months would be much cooler here before I moved, but it made me wonder why this part of the country is portrayed as being warm year-round. Sure, parts of it are comparably much more pleasant than most of the nation during the winter months, but it's not like you can go swimming or even walk around comfortably in shorts and a t-shirt on most days. So why is it so often portrayed differently in movies and other cultural references?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I knew that the winter months would be much cooler here before I moved, but it made me wonder why this part of the country is portrayed as being warm year-round. Sure, parts of it are comparably much more pleasant than most of the nation during the winter months, but it's not like you can go swimming or even walk around comfortably in shorts and a t-shirt on most days. So why is it so often portrayed differently in movies and other cultural references?
Because it is warm year-round and you can go swimming or even walk around comfortably in shorts and a t-shirt on most days.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
bek its true. our leaves fall at christmas, my fig tree 5 minutes ago taken on my cell phone camera. .

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...racpone002.jpg

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-04-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Its the California charm.

-Cheers.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 PM

371 posts, read 815,989 times
Quote:
Sure, parts of it are comparably much more pleasant than most of the nation during the winter months
I think this is a pretty large understatement. "...comparably much more pleasant," does not do justice to the fact that we have many more sunny days, and rarely have daytime temps lower then the 60's, when most of the country has to deal with regular daytime temps in the 20s,30s and 40s during the winter, along with snow, and many cloudy days.

Southern California can and does have summer-like days during the winter, on a pretty regular basis, but it also has its fair share of cool days too. That part does get lost in the shuffle when people talk about Southern California weather.

Probably because people are trying to make others jealous, which works much better if you focus on the nice days, and not mention the cool days.

But, I also disagree that people can't be comfortable in t-shirts most days. The average winter daytime high temperatures in coastal Southern California range from the mid-60s to the lower 70s. Maybe you get cold easily, but when its, say, 69 and sunny, I am not in jeans and sweatshirt (i'm not in a bathing suit either). Yes, there are plenty of days when people will want to wear a sweatshirt and jeans out, but i think they are outnumbered by the pleasant days.

The one, thing, however that seems to catch people off guard when they move here is how cold it can get at night. As you know, its not unusual to have nights in the low 40s, or even high 30s during the winter. I think that catches people by suprise, because that is pretty cold.

One thing I do notice, also, is that some people in Southern California seem to think that we have the best winters, or that "the rest of the Country" is suffering through cold and dreary winters. But, in fact, a pretty sizable swatch of the country, from southern Arizona, to Southern Texas and the Gulf states and Florida, have winters that are not too much different than ours (or even warmer, in the case of southern Florida, or extreme southern Texas).

I think some people in Southern California would prefer to think that the rest of the country is buried under ice and snow.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 PM

76 posts, read 394,564 times
You can blame the entertainment industry for that portrayal. Coming from the Bay Area to LA for school, I'd thought that LA would be hot in the summers and mild in the winters. It's only 5 PM right now and I'm freezing my ass off. Southern California does in fact get chilly.

Although I have to agree that the Bay Area is generally colder by a few degrees on average, something that was evident when I flew back home for Thanksgiving week. Brrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I think some people in Southern California would prefer to think that the rest of the country is buried under ice and snow.
That's somewhat true. I've actually had some SoCal friends reply "Why would I want to go to NorCal? It's always cloudy and raining" when I'd invite them up there to show them around. Oh, man.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
I'm in San Luis and we have a freeze warning. Low 20's tonight. My apartment is freezing.right now, guess ill have to figure out how to use the heat contraption. It's actually colder here right now than it is.back home by Chicago.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I'm in San Luis and we have a freeze warning. Low 20's tonight. My apartment is freezing.right now, guess ill have to figure out how to use the heat contraption. It's actually colder here right now than it is.back home by Chicago.
Neither NOAA nor intellicast are calling for freezing temps tonight, nor any night in the next few.

One of the surprises for me moving down here was to see well heads on rural homes, the pvc pipe comes directly off the well pipe to the pressure tank, no insulation, no heat tape.

That is a clear indication that temps below freezing are extremely rare in the central coast area.

on rural wells at Truckee, and most places in the Sierra, the well head and pressure tank are enclosed in an insulated shed structure with electric heat all winter long. a power failure and no generator can cause your well head to freeze 6 feet into the ground blowing all pipe. That is cold, and we just don't get it in California along the coast or at elevations below 1,000 ft.

How many of you that claim it is cold in So Cal own Sorel's?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Neither NOAA nor intellicast are calling for freezing temps tonight, nor any night in the next few.

One of the surprises for me moving down here was to see well heads on rural homes, the pvc pipe comes directly off the well pipe to the pressure tank, no insulation, no heat tape.

That is a clear indication that temps below freezing are extremely rare in the central coast area.

on rural wells at Truckee, and most places in the Sierra, the well head and pressure tank are enclosed in an insulated shed structure with electric heat all winter long. a power failure and no generator can cause your well head to freeze 6 feet into the ground blowing all pipe. That is cold, and we just don't get it in California along the coast or at elevations below 1,000 ft.

How many of you that claim it is cold in So Cal own Sorel's?
Sorels?? I havent seen any Sorels since I spent some time in Northern Wisconsin!!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,366 times
Everyone always complains that the Endless Summer is South Florida, currently 76F, current water temp 80F here in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California