Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any chance that San Diego County could be added to the Los Angeles CSA in the near future?
Yes 0 0%
NO 17 80.95%
Maybe 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Does anyone see San Diego County being added to the Los Angeles CSA in the near future?( by near future I mean 10-20 years from now) San Deigo County borders the LA MSA so its not like its that far away from the LA area. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
About as likely as Philly being added to the NYC CSA. CSA has a lot to do with commuting patterns, and people don't commute from San Diego County to LA County.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Yeah, unless large scale commuting between OC and San Diego County begins, it won't happen.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Not for as long as Camp Pendleton still exists.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does anyone see San Diego County being added to the Los Angeles CSA in the near future?( by near future I mean 10-20 years from now) San Deigo County borders the LA MSA so its not like its that far away from the LA area. What do you guys think?
...development patterns and commuting patterns determine that this would never happen.

Camp Pendelton exists, making sure development wouldn't ever happen along the coast.

It could physically connect inland along i-15, except that most of the I-15 corridor between Temecula and Escondido is a huge canyon, making widespread development impossible.

In addition, if you were working in LA, why would you live in SD if it really isn't that much cheaper?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
About as likely as Philly being added to the NYC CSA. CSA has a lot to do with commuting patterns, and people don't commute from San Diego County to LA County.
Actually Philly has a very good chance being added to New York CSA in the near future by way of Mercer County, NJ but that is a whole nother topic in itself.

On the main topic is there a decent commuting base between Orange County and San Diego County?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
It could physically connect inland along i-15, except that most of the I-15 corridor between Temecula and Escondido is a huge canyon, making widespread development impossible.
That is a common misconception. The entire I-15 corridor from Temecula to Escondido is built out. It's just not obvious, because houses sit on large lots and usually just out of sight from the freeway. To engage in dense development, not only do you have to deal with hills and canyons, but you have to raze existing houses and rezone land to 8 dwellings/acre.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
That is a common misconception. The entire I-15 corridor from Temecula to Escondido is built out. It's just not obvious, because houses sit on large lots and usually just out of sight from the freeway. To engage in dense development, not only do you have to deal with hills and canyons, but you have to raze existing houses and rezone land to 8 dwellings/acre.
Hmm, I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense. Isn't that part of SD County where the majority of the avocado farms are? I know Fallbrook and Pala have a lot of the farms in the area, but not anywhere near I-15?

I guess I learn something new everyday.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Hmm, I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense. Isn't that part of SD County where the majority of the avocado farms are? I know Fallbrook and Pala have a lot of the farms in the area, but not anywhere near I-15?

I guess I learn something new everyday.
There are some avocado farms too, yes. And some empty land. The first two miles along I-15 are, I think, part of Pechanga reservation, and there is a lot of vacant land in Pala reservation. So it's not completely built out, I guess I should have said mostly built out. My point is, it's not a vast stretch of empty land waiting for some enterprising developer that many people think it is.

The region west of I-15 and east of Camp Pendleton is particularly thoroughly built out, from Vista to Bonsall to Fallbrook to De Luz to Temecula without any large gaps.

Just look closely on Google Maps.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The current "rules" regarding CSA operational definitions are based on an Eastern view of conurbations. Namely, the "constriction point" / "width of continuous development" rules. Those rules are based on conurbations located in places like the Atlantic Coastal Plain, The Piedmont, The Great Lakes and the Great Plains / Central Low Lands, where conurbations tend to take on the evenly spreading out in all directions format.

Here in the West, topographic and water barriers prevent these types of conurbations from forming. Here, conurbations tend to take on linear and dendritic formats. There are multiple points where a conurbation may neck down to one mile or less in width, and places where mountains / hills form an actual gap in the conurbation (unless you count the freeway / MTD/BART/etc line as part of the "conurbation"). We in the West get penalized by this, and our conurbations get artificially fragmented by the government statisticians.

So, I voted maybe, in the hope that a better formulation can be put together someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California