Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM

23 posts, read 53,801 times

Advertisements

let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winningduh View Post
let me know
it depends on what you mean by "best".
i'm not a surfer but love to watch big wave surfing.
Mavericks Surf

Old 12-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
it depends on what you mean by "best".
i'm not a surfer but love to watch big wave surfing.
Mavericks Surf
My term of "best" is biggest for surfing. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
There's nothing bigger (or even close).

Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
There's nothing bigger (or even close).
I see. LOL!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
They are both big for surfing, just with a different feel. NorCal is more rugged, raw and cold overall. Shark attacks are also occur more often in Central and NorCal. We just had a great white attack in October - Surfer Recovers After 15-Foot Shark Attacks In Marina - Central Coast News Story - KSBW The Central Coast. You wear a wetsuit year round in NorCal. While in SoCal you can wear a Spring suit in the Spring/Fall and in the Summer month even less, sometimes just board shorts and rash guard.

Derek

Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
They are both big for surfing, just with a different feel. NorCal is more rugged, raw and cold overall. Shark attacks are also occur more often in Central and NorCal. We just had a great white attack in October - Surfer Recovers After 15-Foot Shark Attacks In Marina - Central Coast News Story - KSBW The Central Coast. You wear a wetsuit year round in NorCal. While in SoCal you can wear a Spring suit in the Spring/Fall and in the Summer month even less, sometimes just board shorts and rash guard.

Derek
What cities are near half moon bay? Their many jobs out there?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
What cities are near half moon bay? Their many jobs out there?
South San Francisco. But just because Half Moon Bay is known as a big wave spot doesn't mean its the best place for regular surfing. Santa Cruz to the south is more well known as Surf City for its numerous breaks and year round surfing. Then when Mavericks does break good a handful of times a year people drive up from Santa Cruz and other places to surf it. But unless you are an experienced big wave surfer you will never ride it anyway when its going off. It is a life threating wave where even professional surfers have died riding it. The percentage of surfers who ride it and survive it every year is very small. I doubt you are at that level because if you were you wouldn't be asking the question here. Big wave surfers know of Mavericks and its risks and even some of them don't survive to tell about it -http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-at-mavericks/.

Derek

Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
South San Francisco. But just because Half Moon Bay is known as a big wave spot doesn't mean its the best place for regular surfing. Santa Cruz to the south is more well known as Surf City for its numerous breaks and year round surfing. Then when Mavericks does break good a handful of times a year people drive up from Santa Cruz and other places to surf it. But unless you are an experienced big wave surfer you will never ride it anyway when its going off. It is a life threating wave where even professional surfers have died riding it. The percentage of surfers who ride it and survive it every year is very small. I doubt you are at that level because if you were you wouldn't be asking the question here. Big wave surfers know of Mavericks and its risks and even some of them don't survive to tell about it -Surfer Dies After Wipeout At Mavericks « CBS San Francisco.

Derek
D,

yeah something like that is too much for me. lol I've always loved california ever since I could remember. You know much about the cost of living in santa cruz? I have some plant experience and majority landscaping, really dont know how far that'd take me in california. It'd be awesome too hit the beach on the weekends!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
D,

yeah something like that is too much for me. lol I've always loved california ever since I could remember. You know much about the cost of living in santa cruz? I have some plant experience and majority landscaping, really dont know how far that'd take me in california. It'd be awesome too hit the beach on the weekends!
With the CA economy the way that it is I would say finding work will be your number one priority. There is probably more work overall in SoCal along the coast than in Central or NorCal. So my advice would be to find work, then go surfing once you do. Santa Cruz has a limited number of jobs and a lot of competition for work because of its size and being cutoff from larger cities. Though some drive up and over the SC mountains into San Jose for work. That drvie can be brutal over hwy 17, especially during the fog and rain season.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California