U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: The thing I most dislike about California is...
the high cost of living 24 41.38%
the people 15 25.86%
the job market 0 0%
the crime 1 1.72%
the traffic 4 6.90%
the smog 2 3.45%
other 12 20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 679,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No, it is NOT illegal to live in your van 99.99% of the time and cases ... you can legally spend as much time in your van as you want ... most anywhere ... just a couple of cheap tricks ... and that's really all I'm gonna say more ... except, don't keep thinking out loud on the forum about it because I can see you are persistent and somewhat obsessive which means you might actually figure out a couple of the angles (Yes, Virginia, there IS more than one way to skin a cat) ... If you have a 'eureka!' moment -- a great epiphany -- keep it to yourself and laugh gleefully ... see you on the streets
When you're quoted $1,500/month for a rental room this can make one somewhat obsessive... people of CA should stop being cowards--most of them are not homeowners anyway and shouldn't worry about their RE prices lowered--and push for laws allowing vehicle dwelling outright and clear. But they'd rather see people sleeping on the streets, out in the cold than try to pressure government to uphold human and constitutional rights!
They'd rather see the sharks charging 1,5K a month for someone who's between places than allow them to safely sleep inside a van--they'd rather see them murdered while sleeping on the street, actually.
You probbly won't see me on the streets of CA--rather, on the streets of another state when I hit the road again, as notwithstanding legal loophole, one doesn't want to experience judgemental attitudes prevalent here!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 5,221,355 times
The fact that I can't afford to live in coastal California. Not really California's fault I guess. I love the countryside, the natural beauty, but it comes at too high a price.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,420,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The fact that I can't afford to live in coastal California. Not really California's fault I guess. I love the countryside, the natural beauty, but it comes at too high a price.
A statement like this makes me wonder. How poor must one be to not be able to afford to live here? Eldest daughter did fine here before she moved to Hawaii. She worked restaurants, and then book keeping at $10.00 per hour, That would be $1600 per month. She worked and went to school full time, and greatly enjoyed the Central Coast.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,550,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If you think the Bay Area's bad for those types of women you don't even want to think about how L.A. and O.C. are.

The hatreds and tensions between the sexes in L.A. make any ethnic or racial tensions look lightweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I've heard others say the same thing, EclecticEars. Without elaborating, I'll just say that I think it's a generational thing. I don't really know if the bay area has an over abundance of these women because I don't live in the area but your general comment isn't without merit.
I happen to think this attitude is a generational thing, also. The older the women (and people are), the generally better ground and more down-to-earth they tend to be. This is true nationwide, but particularly manifested in California.

I'm not qualified to elaborate on L.A., O.C., San Diego, Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, and other large metros in the state; I've only visited LA, OC, Sac, and driven through B'field. I'm sure L.A., O.C., and other large national cities like Miami, NYC and DC would provide some real competition.

The women that think and act like they're owed the world aren't owed anything. The women that don't think and act that way are way more worth it. And that's already the biggest challenge of living in the Bay Area: finding the latter. Again, I think that's a large western metropolis thing, not just SFBA. Admittedly, part of my outlook stems not from dating, but from being fired by three passive-aggressive, smug, catty competitive, conniving women only 3.5 months after moving to California; it stunned me and shocked my co-workers. (Thankfully, I've since found other employment, but it ain't always easy. )

I truly wish sometimes that I was born in the '70s, not the '80s. That way, I could enjoy the '80s, the last decade before America became nearly entirely rampant with infotainment and crass materialism. Not that those two things are particularly evil, but the influence of people by the ongoing barrage of our so-called "media" has really taken a negative effect on this country's social fabric. Enough, in fact, that I would not rule out the possibility of leaving the U.S. sometime in my later adult life.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,058,007 times
The political climate.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The "beauty" of California coastal countryside is nothing but a poison apple. You WOULD NOT want to live there anyway, once you'd see the shallowness of the "culture" here. It's like a nice-looking red apple.. but once you bite it, you see it's rotten inside.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
A statement like this makes me wonder. How poor must one be to not be able to afford to live here? Eldest daughter did fine here before she moved to Hawaii. She worked restaurants, and then book keeping at $10.00 per hour, That would be $1600 per month. She worked and went to school full time, and greatly enjoyed the Central Coast.
There's a difference between "living" and "barely surviving"

Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM

13,462 posts, read 16,143,698 times
That's enough, thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California