Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite forest in California?
Angeles 1 3.03%
Cleveland 1 3.03%
Eldorado 2 6.06%
Inyo 2 6.06%
Klamath 0 0%
Lake Tahoe Basin 0 0%
Lassen 2 6.06%
Los Padres 6 18.18%
Mendocino 0 0%
Modoc 0 0%
Plumas 3 9.09%
San Bernardino 1 3.03%
Sequoia 5 15.15%
Shasta-Trinity 3 9.09%
Sierra 4 12.12%
Six Rivers 0 0%
Stanislaus 3 9.09%
Tahoe 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,838,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Sure, but, this is a thread on National Forests, the only redwoods in a National Forest are in the north end of the Los Padres
Would you like me to start a new thread?
Don't ya think it's o.k. if i just sneak it into a thread about forests?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Well, ok ... just this once though ... since you've already dunit ... don't tell nobody it was I said it was okie-doak ... get me in a lotta trouble

Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,838,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, ok ... just this once though ... since you've already dunit ... don't tell nobody it was I said it was okie-doak ... get me in a lotta trouble
Hijacking a thread on the California forum is such an anomaly!
And highnlite has certainly never taken part in such a horrible thing.
O.K. .... that's enough now or we're going to get in trouble ... back to the woods.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
Hijacking a thread on the California forum is such an anomaly!
And highnlite has certainly never taken part in such a horrible thing.
O.K. .... that's enough now or we're going to get in trouble ... back to the woods.
No, I'm outside under the awning I strung over my cockpit, enjoying the shade ... ohhhhh, wait, you mean back to the topic! ... Oh I get it now ... nevermind ...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,648,758 times
Quote:
Not all National Forests have Forests, at least not to any great extent. National Forests is an interesting and new subject for this forum. At least two are called rather snarkily, National Brush Fields.

Their purpose has always been to control use of natural resources. National Forests were created initially by Grover Cleveland and extended greatly by Theodore Roosevelt to protect America's timber, water and graze from the rape and pillage advocated by the Conservative Republicans of his day (not much has changed)

The Los Padres National Forest for instance, was not created to protect redwoods, but to preserve watersheds so that there would be water for downstream users. That is still the case, despite what radical environmental groups such as Center for Biological Diversity, and Los Padres Forest Watch think. They have the mistaken notion that National Forests are preserves. Instead they are much more like farms.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM

194 posts, read 504,336 times
Had to select the San Bernardino NF just because I lived and worked in them for 5 years! Lots of treasures by such a huge population, and there are places to go to disappear from it all. My favorite places are the Siberia Creek Trail, the view from Morton Peak, camping on Keller Peak, Tahquitz Peak...

Close second would be the Inyo. Gorgeous!

I recently moved to Chico, so I'll eventually need to explore Lassen and Plumas NF. Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,583,845 times
Quote:
You might want to do some research, 26 million acres of National Forest in CA, 6 million designated wilderness. All for your recreation.

Bulldogdad, The HT is a fine forest, little visited

I would find it hard to pick a favorite. I like them all and have worked in 4 of them.
That's exactly why I like it. Especially in Nevada.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That's exactly why I like it. Especially in Nevada.
Yep I have spent much time in the Humboldt Toiyabe, I seldom saw another soul.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,988,487 times
Quote:
Sure, but, this is a thread on National Forests, the only redwoods in a National Forest are in the north end of the Los Padres
Pacific Southwest Research Station

Close......but you forgot the research forest.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Pacific Southwest Research Station

Close......but you forgot the research forest.
The Forest Service has a number of research facilities, they are not National Forests, they are as the name states, Research stations, there is another one near Placerville Institute of Forest Genetics and they used to run the Central Sierra Snow Lab, but, they are not National Forests, see map

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California