U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM

3,743 posts, read 6,058,992 times
There is a Christian college up there and it lacks a big artsy city scene, but it has good schools, beauty, and things for families to do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 PM

5,621 posts, read 6,943,364 times

Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,320,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
There is a Christian college up there and it lacks a big artsy city scene, but it has good schools, beauty, and things for families to do.
The Redding area has a surprising number of good music teachers, local musicans, and quality live music events. Strangely enough, when it comes to music Redding lacks nothing in comparison with Chico.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-12-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM

2,243 posts, read 1,744,238 times
This news story gives a clear picture of how bad the unemployment problem is in Redding. Itís pretty bad when a thousand plus shows up for a job at a chain restaurant.

Hundreds apply for work at soon-to-open Redding restaurant; When Famous Dave's BBQ builds it, they'll come — for 1 of 150 positions Ľ Redding Record Searchlight

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,505,265 times
Redding only has a nice backdrop against the mountains. Being at the top of the Central Valley, the heat is "locked in" during the summer, so it doesn't cool at night. Chico is considered the cultural hub of the North State. However, Chico is weird with the "hanger-on-ers" who will do anything to keep living there. What's amazing is that if you draw a line east-west 40 miles north of Sacramento, the North State is sparsely populated, is not projected to grow, and there are few opportunities.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,696 times
Redding CA is a great place if you have a Job offer in hand!!!!! But if you have a Job and like the great Outdoors then redding is the place to be.. Think about it..... It has Shasta Lake, Whiskey town lake, and lake siskyou.. mount Shasta, and only 2.5 HRS away from Eureka and the Coast... BUT! BUT! BUT! If you don't have a job or at least some type of decent employment you will be on the welfare and Depressed.. Fargo sounds good... And anywhere out of California...

Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 PM

9,643 posts, read 10,627,207 times
Default Redding, CA please donít move here

Having a job lined up before you move is just common sense, it's true for anyplace a person plans to move to.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM

4,084 posts, read 1,263,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
This is not a bash Redding, CA thread. I think itís important to promote awareness of what might await others looking to relocate to Redding, CA.

While Iím planning my exit out of Redding, CA, Iím still surprised how many people move here to look for work. I would highly suggest not moving here if you donít have a job offer in hand.
I would never move there so no worries...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Status: "Isn't 16000 joints per year enough for you?" (set 8 days ago)

520 posts, read 1,166,953 times
As a policeman my opinion is that Redding is going into the toilet.. this happened very quickly.. over a period of five or so years

Medical MJ has ruined the place with so many stoners all over now and the problems they bring... and lets not forget Jerrys Kids being let out of jail onto the streets.. the criminal homeless population has exploded..along with crimes of violence and an overworked/understaffed ,pitifully so, PD and Sheriffs Office.

I'm armed all the time.. and my property is a fortress... more so that weapons don't end up in the hands of crooks

That being said...

This is WAY WAY better than SoCAL for quality of life

In 30 minutes Im in the wilderness.. provided I don't stumble on a grow all's good... and while its a PITA to be heavily armed its probably necessary now

10 minutes Im on the lake... and a 30 minute cruise has me alone again

My wife makes 25 an hour, which for Redding is good money, when she is qualified to make 150 an hour... I make great money teaching at the college( top step 64 an hour).. and I have my SOCAl retirement.. so we are blessed...

There are so many people without work here that end up in the hopeless social welfare grinder

Dont come if you dont have a job

Come if you can afford property because there are killer deals

Come if you think its your right to carry a concealed weapon.. our Sheriff thinks its your right. Unlike L.A where I came from where only if you were highly connected (corruption at its best) could you obtain one

I want to move simply because Kalifornia tax structure is eating me alive

Finally.. please only come if you have all your teeth.. Shasta County still has a plethora of Wal-mart aliens that lack most of theirs

Old 06-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Status: "Thank GOD for the ignore option!" (set 7 days ago)

166 posts, read 121,199 times
I have to agree with you on many points notmeofficer. I have lived here for more than 40 years and during the last 10 years it has become a **** hole from the days when people like Sheriff John Balma were in charge.

Everyday I see people on Shasta Mug Shots who have been arrested for major felonies that have been released showing up days ( and less ) later being arrested and released again because our jails don't have the room to keep these idiots under lock and key.

Places such as the Good News Rescue Mission and the cheap hotels along Market Street are filled with prison drop offs from other counties because the county gets paid to babysit them. These are the people who are breaking into people homes and stealing from hard working individuals, not to mention the businesses that are shoplifted from and robbed on a daily basis.

Law enforcement here is so weakened by the city and people like Patrick Jones who cut the funding for those who protect and defend us that more and more people are going into the gun shops to get the tools they need to protect themselves. I never would have thought 25 years ago that I would need a CCW to protect myself. In the last few days already we have had several shootings in Redding.

In regards to safety, Forbes has listed Redding as the 5th most dangerous city to live in for women as of April of this year. " At No. 5 on the 2012 list of the most dangerous cities for women is Redding, California, where there were 797 incidences of violent crime and 65 rapes for every 100,000 citizens. For a metro area whose population is just over that number at 182,000, a total of 120 rapes occurred over 12 months. Redding, a Northern California city located in Shasta County, is also becoming proactive about rape prevention. At a recent Sexual Assault Awareness Month event, spokeswoman Jean King of the Shasta womenís Refuge noted that the county suffers twice as many sexual assaults as the rest of the state of California. ĒWe donít want to have that in our community,Ē she said before continuing that by making the issue a local one she hopes to see a decline."

I do have to say one thing regarding drug use here in Shasta County. MMJ, although a problem, is not nearly the headache that methamphetamine has become here.

Yes, we do have an absolutely beautiful city on the outside with our lakes and mountains, but the underbelly reveals an ugly city that would rival any in Southern California.

Oh, and for the record, I do have all my teeth but I do shop at WalMart. ( I don't wear pajamas or sweats there however.. ;0) )

Last edited by DaleK; 06-23-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California