U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM

490 posts, read 422,804 times
Default How can so many people in California afford multi million dollar homes?

i understand that there are a lot of artists and stuff living there but seriously, every other house you see is 1kk............

what the hell do these people do.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM

25,125 posts, read 15,788,154 times
Many bought their homes before the housing boom and enjoyed the ride. Others are a combination of trade-ups, inheritances, high paying jobs, couples with 2 incomes, etc.

I don't know where you are looking but most of the state isn't like that.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,076,163 times
and many are "land rich, cash poor".

Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,941,488 times
Many people rent million dollar+ houses. The owners often bought them before they were anywhere near that amount. My brother rents a house that would sell for slightly over a million dollars, but could not afford to own the same house.

And, as Ceece said, there are many more houses that aren't worth anywhere near a million dollars throughout CA.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,707,314 times
With interest rates so low and prices depressed, it's not that much more expensive to own a home than to rent an average apartment around here. The mortgage interest deduction offsets the property taxes for the first decade or so, it's really not that much of a stretch.

The hard part is getting the 20% downpayment, but if you've focused on savings for a few years and have two incomes it's eminently doable. We close on a place in January under just those terms!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,270,734 times
Interest rates are largely irrelevant. Most people who buy $1MM to $10MM homes just pay cash. I did - why bother with a mortgage when the opportunity cost of money is so low.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM

7,835 posts, read 9,371,779 times
It's called, the banking system still gives loans that are risky. Maybe the no doc and really fishy ones are gone. But if a person is working and has a good credit record, they can still get themselves into lots of trouble.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:38 PM

27,802 posts, read 22,309,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
i understand that there are a lot of artists and stuff living there but seriously, every other house you see is 1kk............

what the hell do these people do.....
50 year interest only mortgage.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,539,743 times
Some
> save for about 10 years ... to get a 20% down payment..and dump it all in a home .. then sign up for a ball and chain 30 year mortgage that $3,xxx - $4,xxx mortgage for which they grind their faces on the ground for
> ARM loans/interest only .. I know a co-worker who makes good cash and his wife who took this route
> Rent
> bought way before this craziness ...
> Very few are workers at companies that go IPO .. instantly dump all their riches into a home.. $800k - $1 million+...

Yeah it's insane and given that i want to buy a home soon, I opted to just leave and go where its affordable.. Skip 30 years of misery and have enough to pay for one cash out of California.

From there, I intend to diversify and grab up some duplex's etc to start building a cash flow positive stream for later on in life .. Build my own business/etc...

Funny when you look back at history.. Steve Job's dad was a mechanic and his wife had a regular job.. Bought a house in los altos .. Try that now-a-days...

As for renting one of these homes.. you're looking at rent of about $3-4k .. That's $1 million - $1.4 million over 30 years.. Beyond stupid to do this your whole life and at $3/4k a month it is going to be dam hard to save a penny.

Whatever, people choose to do what they want. Given what you see, make your choice and enjoy life.
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's called, the banking system still gives loans that are risky. Maybe the no doc and really fishy ones are gone. But if a person is working and has a good credit record, they can still get themselves into lots of trouble.

Have you applied for a mortgage lately? They're putting us through the wringer for a house that we can clearly afford - there's been more crosschecking and verifying of our accounts than you can imagine. If you get a mortgage today, you earned it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California