Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, they feel NOTHING alike. As someone who grew up in the Northeast and then moved to Southern CA, there is no comparison.

My first summer in CA (many years ago) I was amazed at how cool and comfortable the summer nights were(and dry). That you could sleep with the windows open and have a comforter on you.

Try doing that on the east coast in the summer, you would be dying.

You sound like someone who has never even been to CA.
10 years in Philly and south Jersey says you're right
Hoagie up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Eldest daughter is back from school in Hawaii for the holiday, she is getting nosebleeds from the dry air here. She is also freezing. First time she has worn long pants since she left for Hawaii....

Old 12-24-2011, 07:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Eldest daughter is back from school in Hawaii for the holiday, she is getting nosebleeds from the dry air here. She is also freezing. First time she has worn long pants since she left for Hawaii....
I'm a bit north of you, but the air is definitely drier this year. Obviously it hasn't rained hardly at all, but my nose is feeling like it's been in Phoenix. The one thing that works for dry nostrils is emu oil. Nothing better!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, they feel NOTHING alike. As someone who grew up in the Northeast and then moved to Southern CA, there is no comparison.

My first summer in CA (many years ago) I was amazed at how cool and comfortable the summer nights were(and dry). That you could sleep with the windows open and have a comforter on you.

Try doing that on the east coast in the summer, you would be dying.

You sound like someone who has never even been to CA.
You're right about the summer nights here in ca unless you live in the desert. In the mountains its always cool at night in the summer (50s).

Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selpanat View Post
no .the average summer dew point in long beach california is 65 the average summer dew point in new jersey is 63. the year round average dew point in new jersey is 41 while the average year round dew point in long beach california is in the 50s.even if new jersey had long beach type winter than they would be the same year round dew point.if you don't believe me google it. sorry to burst your bubble.
What is the difference between humidity and dew point?
I know that they're related but i don't know how.

I know it's not summer but just as an example, right now the humidity in Atlantic City is 64% with a dew point at 24F.
And the humidity in Long Beach is 59% at the moment with a dew point at 40F.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Let's get some numbers. First, summers in the Northeast aren't that humid, nowhere as much as Florida. I couldn't find average dew point but I took them for one month (last August). August is when the water and beach temperatures are usually the hottest are close.

Here's August 2011 in Long Branch, NJ on the Jersey Shore:

History : Weather Underground

and in Long Beach, CA:

History : Weather Underground

Average dew point is 64°F this August for the Jersey Shore and 59°F for Long Beach. 5°F difference — not huge but noticeable. Obviously not the same though. 64°F is a bit sticky but isn't really oppressive. But the highest dew point recorded in New Jersey that month was 75°F; very humid. Highest for Long Beach was 63°F; not too bad. So, while New Jersey beaches might have pleasant dew points on average, it flops around a lot sometimes it gets very sticky other times dry-ish. Long Beach stays consistently comfortable. Oddly, the temperature range that August was almost the same.

You could try for other years, too, but I don't feel like bothering right now. I did a quick glimpse and found the same pattern.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times

The chart on the left is Atlantic City and the other chart is Long Beach.
These are from the city-data-forum statistic pages.

Click image for larger version

Name:	humidity atlantic city nj.png
Views:	1112
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	88973

Click image for larger version

Name:	humidity long beach ca.png
Views:	1499
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	88974

Old 12-24-2011, 11:51 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
The difference is NJ often experiences dew points in the 70s. This is rare in most areas of California, and when dew points do reash the 70s it is for a very short time and the temperature is likely to be well over 105°. That is still 33% relative humidity. Compare that with a temperature of 85° and you have 61% relative humidity.

Most of California west of the Pacific Crest has dew points between 50° and 60° during the summer, with a few exceptions when the wind changes directions. These dew points aren't really dry or humid. They are drier than many parts of the country during the summer and much higher than dew points in the Great Basin or along the eastern slope of the Rockies.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Couple those dew points with the much higher temps in NJ in the summer, and you've got your sticky recipe. Long Beach is usually in the 70s in the day, 60s and night. NJ would be in the 80s during the day and the 70s at night.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:00 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
THIS is why you started a C-D account? It must have weighed heavily on you, this air moisture stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California