Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM

142 posts, read 289,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskies View Post
Also, a little background so maybe that would help narrow it down. I am 23 years old and my boyfriend is 24, we are both white and what I would say is a typical college student. I am working at the medical center and building up a good resume there, I know that it can be a lot easier to transfer into other hospitals with having the background there. My boyfriend is a manager at Chipotle and in school, he is considering the possibility of transferring to a Chipotle in CA so he would at least have a job lined up. But again this is so far in the future we have no idea what is going to happen. We may also want to be looking at schools and areas that are good with kids, no plans for that now but in five years we may be ready to start a family.

You would be the main one for the job. He'd have to find what he could after you move.

You shouldn't have a hard time finding something in the medical field.

You'd have a better chance picking where ya wanna go.

Do you know a lot about CA? Have you visited?

having just done what you are planning to do, feel free to Direct Message me with any questions too.

Last edited by agskinner; 12-27-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
I didn't realize the unemployment rate was so low, but this is true across the nation so we just all have to hope the economy picks itself up soon or I get lucky in finding a job. Please ask more questions if I still didn't cover something, sorry if I am vague! Thanks so much for your guys help so far!
I think you meant to write you did not realize the unemployment here is HIGH.

To be clear, while there are job difficulties as you put it "across the nation" here it is worse. A lot worse.

For a while we were in a three way tie with MI and NV for the worst unemployment. Then MI got better and NV got slightly worse, putting us 2nd worst.

The government here is incompetent and money is fleeing.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I think you meant to write you did not realize the unemployment here is HIGH.

To be clear, while there are job difficulties as you put it "across the nation" here it is worse. A lot worse.

For a while we were in a three way tie with MI and NV for the worst unemployment. Then MI got better and NV got slightly worse, putting us 2nd worst.

The government here is incompetent and money is fleeing.
The average person only needs 1 job.

All it takes is one to get you where ya want.

I moved here with a job locked up. The percentage, being first or last, doesn't matter if you find a job yourself.

Get the $ you need, stability, and all the stats are meaningless to the individual.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 58,793 times
He would look to be a general manager at Chipotle, not just a little minimum wage employee haha they make $80,000 in Ohio so I'm sure it's more in CA... I know the job hunt is going to be the hardest part but I won't be doing that for awhile yet.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Okay I don't give a **** about the unemployment rate, as agskinner said, it only takes one job and I am not one to worry about such things. If it's meant to be it'll happen for me and I'll be in CA if not then so be it. I'm looking on advice for places to live based on climate, crime rates and the better areas that aren't for the completely rich folk.

Last edited by Brewskies; 12-27-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: sorry I keep posting twice, I didn't realize I already had 2 pages of responses

Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
The only problem is we know nothing about it.
Nice.
You shouldn't move to CA or anywhere else if you no nothing about it and don't have a reason to move. Visit some places, figure out what you want. Being able to put CA on your address label is not a goal...there should be reasons behind everything you do. CA is too vast to give you the info you want on a forum. Also think about your friends, family and support network because you might not want to give that all up.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Okay I don't give a **** about the unemployment rate, as agskinner said, it only takes one job and I am not one to worry about such things. If it's meant to be it'll happen for me and I'll be in CA if not then so be it. I'm looking on advice for places to live based on climate, crime rates and the better areas that aren't for the completely rich folk.

Well you can post in the SF part, ask what they like and don't like. Do the same with LA/OC.

You can get some insight from people living there most likely.

Personally, you'd probably like the OC better, you both would be doing well enough you could afford a good condo in a real real nice area.

I LOOOVVVVVVVVE it here.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
If your boyfriend has been to and loves Santa Barbara and you can find work and an affordable rental, then move to Santa Barbara.
It's one of the loveliest places to live on the CA coast.
It's also not typical of many other places on the coast which is incredibly varied depending on where you are on it.
There's not just one coast.
If you can't move to Santa Barbara ie; a place that at least one of you has visited and likes, then come out this summer and explore the state.
California is way too big and diverse (culturally and environmentally / geographically) to be able to choose a community via a forum or the internet in general.
Come see and feel California for yourself and then, when you have something close to a clue, start doing research about the particulars.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
He would look to be a general manager at Chipotle, not just a little minimum wage employee haha they make $80,000 in Ohio so I'm sure it's more in CA... I know the job hunt is going to be the hardest part but I won't be doing that for awhile yet.
Brewskies, if you wanna, you can keep track of different webcams around CA in the winter, so you can have an idea what it's like from day to day.

Google

See what the weather is in areas that interest you.

Weather Forecast - Monterey, CA - Local & Long Range | Wunderground
10 Day Weather Forecast for Sonoma - weather.com

10 Day Weather Forecast for Tarzana - weather.com

You can search on www.google.com

Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nice.
You shouldn't move to CA or anywhere else if you no nothing about it and don't have a reason to move. Visit some places, figure out what you want. Being able to put CA on your address label is not a goal...there should be reasons behind everything you do. CA is too vast to give you the info you want on a forum. Also think about your friends, family and support network because you might not want to give that all up.

Ceece, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you've never spent an hour trying to get ice off your car while you can't even feel your hands or face because its -10 degrees out. I'm not moving to CA to look cool, I've heard the weather is beautiful and that people love it, to me that's reason enough.

But thank you jaijai, agskinner and hawk, all you have been very helpful. I will definitely try to visit next summer now that I know what area we should visit. And I would've never thought to look at a webcam. If anyone else has any more advice, feel free to post but please no more negative responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California