U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:14 PM

4,134 posts, read 3,280,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
god must really love Lesbians, as the rate of HIV in Lesbians is quite low.

Fontucky I agree with you, anything to make the nutjobs leave the state, or the out of state nut jobs stay out, works for me.

Perhaps we need a law requiring all males in California to wear rainbow speedos.....

Not sure what God has to do with anything even if such a being existed. The HIV transmission rate of anal sex is the highest. Vaginal sex is much lower. Lesbians don't have either of those so their HIV prevalence is the lowest of all.

Most people have no idea the HIV epidemic still exists among gay men because it's politically incorrect to talk about, which is why it's getting worse.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM

25,354 posts, read 33,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
You are every bit as intolerant as those you criticize.
I have found that more 'fundie nutjobs' are actually more apt to at least hear out the opinions of their opponents, and actually are more respectful , than the left wing nut jobs which have a very distinct 'either your with us or against' GWBush veneer to their rhetoric.

And in many instances, I have personally experienced their brand of tolerance and it is most definitely one-sided. We must 'tolerate' their opinion but they flat out refuse to 'tolerate' any dissenting opinion.

Its difficult to even get a word in. Just look at the OCCUPY folks and their current desire to essentially eat their own with the smear campaign against Oakland Mayor Jean Quan who herself more leftist then they are.

I was in a grocery store parking and was nearly accosted by a group of petitioners demanding that everyone join their campaign to recall Mayor Quan--I told them NO and they looked at me like I had killed their mother or something.

This terrible divisiveness is partly why I have decided to register as an Independent next year-too tired of being told that I have to agree with one side on every single issue. Why do I have to agree 100% of the time? Answer: I don't.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM

3,064 posts, read 1,137,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

Most people have no idea the HIV epidemic still exists among gay men because it's politically incorrect to talk about, which is why it's getting worse.
Unfortunately, this is very true.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM

50,376 posts, read 47,835,108 times
we have drifted far far away from learning to read and write k12 has become fair game for any and all special interest groups. time for voucher system. shut it down. ACLU and too many lawyers has caused this.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 10,109,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Was a nerve hit with "fundie nutjobs"?
I see nut jobs in all extreme subcultures be they based on theocracy or based on dialectic materialism.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM

5,781 posts, read 7,351,043 times
I must admit that I'd like to see a camp film version of U.S. history. You know, George Washington crossing the Delaware in Prada pumps and a lemon chiffon scarf flowing beautifully around his neck and shoulders. That sort of thing.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,849,039 times
By some logic in this thread, we shouldn't be teaching history at all in schools - I mean, what ACTUAL skills does history class give Johhny? [/sarcasm]

The point of studying history is to learn who and what made us the way we are today. 50 years ago, if you weren't a white male or George Washington Carver you wouldn't even be mentioned in the history books. All this law does is make sure that there's a more balanced viewpoint presented.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,577,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we have drifted far far away from learning to read and write k12 has become fair game for any and all special interest groups. time for voucher system. shut it down. ACLU and too many lawyers has caused this.
Actually no.. you need to check into the constraints of NCLB, in many schools all that is taught is the three R's and poorly, by federal mandate.

I think anything that can be done to arouse a student's curiosity should be taught, like history, social studies, science.. But,, those have largely gone by the wayside due to mandated lower level thinking testing.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM

13,477 posts, read 16,390,269 times
I had read this story and actual legislation concerning the education issue.

Seems to me that a lot of folks may be getting upset with stuff that might be pretty minor.

As usual, I see merit to both sides of this discussion, but think that the more compelling argument is that teaching a bit about the contribution of gay folks is a decent idea. After all, as someone who grew up in the 1950's and 1960's I can clearly recall the inappropriate negative reflexive view of gay folks. I can even recall the assumption that if one were gay, one was significantly more likely to be a child molester. Fortunately, through time and critical evaluations we know many of the past prejudices were pretty foolish, and many folks had worse lives due to these assumptions.

However, I also can understand how many folks feel that this is yet another step in the indoctrination of their kids, and taking away from the teaching by parents of value systems. I can respect this point of view as having some validity too, but in the final analysis I believe that some inclusion of the topic when discussing history is appropriate.

To those comparing the poor math and science skills with the inclusion of this topic, I don't see the tradeoff there. To me, if spending a few hours a year discussing this topic (if even that) results in lower math or science skills, there are other issues at work with the kid and/or the school.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM

13,477 posts, read 16,390,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I have found that more 'fundie nutjobs' are actually more apt to at least hear out the opinions of their opponents, and actually are more respectful , than the left wing nut jobs which have a very distinct 'either your with us or against' GWBush veneer to their rhetoric.

And in many instances, I have personally experienced their brand of tolerance and it is most definitely one-sided. We must 'tolerate' their opinion but they flat out refuse to 'tolerate' any dissenting opinion.

Its difficult to even get a word in. Just look at the OCCUPY folks and their current desire to essentially eat their own with the smear campaign against Oakland Mayor Jean Quan who herself more leftist then they are.

I was in a grocery store parking and was nearly accosted by a group of petitioners demanding that everyone join their campaign to recall Mayor Quan--I told them NO and they looked at me like I had killed their mother or something.

This terrible divisiveness is partly why I have decided to register as an Independent next year-too tired of being told that I have to agree with one side on every single issue. Why do I have to agree 100% of the time? Answer: I don't.
Well said, couldn't agree with you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California