Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
...you can't really get much out of a state to state comparison because California is so large and diverse in every way...
True. And trying to find a link to site that has actual data (as opposed to someone's opinion) is a feat.

Quote:
... hotels don't count -- they are a traveler's expense.
Right. I listed off the top of my head what friends/relatives say that they think are high....having never lived in their midwestern cities, I have no idea what they pay there, only that they complain that "it's expensive out here!" (Rose Parade and whatnot....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times
OP's post doesn't make any sense. $500-700K will buy you a 3/2 2000 sq ft home in almost every community in LA. The only exceptions I can think of are very upscale rich areas(Beverly Hills, Palos Verdes, San Marino, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, South Pasadena, etc).

But it gets you a nice home in areas with 9 and 10 rated high schools....the northern part of San Gabriel, Temple City, Irvine, Cerritos, Torrance, Walnut, Glendora, La Crescenta, etc.

Also works in areas with 8 rated high schools like Burbank and Glendale

7 rated schools in Culver City with $700K being on the low end for that city, if you need to live on the Westside.

If you are ok with 7 rated high schools(which are perfectly fine BTW), $400K does the job and then some in Long Beach, Lakewood, Whittier, West Covina, etc.

With a $200K income and current interest rates, one should be able to afford a home up to $700K using a 3.5% down FHA loan.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 26,084 times
Well living in California seems difficult. But I think you can live anywhere if you have control over your expenses. Just check and see if you can live there.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
3% of $1.5 million is $45K a year. I spend less than that and I live in the high cost Bay Area. 3% is considered a low initial withdrawal rate and has a good chance of lasting 50 years even with annual cost of living adjustments.

In short, it's called living a modest lifestyle.

The person who accumulated that kind of big payout by age 40 isn't going to cut back to $45k/year just be able to retire. You'd have to slash your quality of life a ridiculous degree.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
Having moved here two years ago from PA, it seems to us that gas and housing are both considerably more expensive here than on the East Coast.

Food is a toss up - incredibly cheap fresh fruits and veggies year round make a big difference, but you have to make a commitment to getting out of Safeway and finding the small fruit stands and local vendors.

Taxes and fees, depends on where you come from. Pennsylvania/NJ had very high taxes, we didn't see much net change (more consumption taxes here, higher real estate/income taxes there)

Everything is about the same - Target and WalMart and CVS set prices nationally. You can pay more for stuff at local stores, but if you've ever bought a gallon of milk at a bodega in NYC you know that local stores are always more expensive.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
The person who accumulated that kind of big payout by age 40 isn't going to cut back to $45k/year just be able to retire. You'd have to slash your quality of life a ridiculous degree.
Maybe, maybe not. If your house is also paid for, or if you lived modestly all along, as some engineers/computer programmers do, it wouldn't be out of the question.

A lot of people come to realize having their time to themselves is also a part of success, and that if you have more time, you don't need as much money.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
I don't think she will have any problem...

Someone that saves and pays off the mortgage is not the type to spend lavishly...

She loves the outdoors and spends her free time hiking with her dog... again, much more expensive ways to spend free time.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklmnop View Post
I will be making between 200k-300k next year and am looking to make California my next home. I really love the idea of surf, soccer, and warm weather year long but when I break down the numbers after taxes, student loans, mortgage, savings/retirement, etc. my salary feels pretty thin.

Either everyone in California is in serious debt or they are seriously rich. How do you guys pull this off? What kind of salary does one need to support a small family and live in a half decent home (600K)? Even on my salary pulling this off seems like a challenge.

I know this depends on your proximity to the ocean and desirable/safe neighborhoods. l am looking mostly at Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Pasadena, Burbank, Thousand Oaks, Temecula, parts of Orange County. Everywhere I look I see more or less about the same cost of living. I know not everyone makes six figure salaries in California so what is the scoop? How do you get by?
God forgive me for saying this, but I'm human and sometimes there are things which I just can't hold inside...

Poor pitiful you. It must be really tough up there on the hill, barely scraping by on only 200k-300k a year.

Excuse me, but I don't feel sorry for you. If you can't make it on that kind of salary, you have serious issues. Move somewhere else. There are people in this country who can only wish they made as much as you will be bringing in. I refuse to believe you have THAT hard of a time trying to make it in California, or even NYC, on such a high salary.

Sorry, mods. I know I'm not supposed to personally attack people, but this kind of stuff gets on my nerves.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
God forgive me for saying this, but I'm human and sometimes there are things which I just can't hold inside...

Poor pitiful you. It must be really tough up there on the hill, barely scraping by on only 200k-300k a year.

Excuse me, but I don't feel sorry for you. If you can't make it on that kind of salary, you have serious issues. Move somewhere else. There are people in this country who can only wish they made as much as you will be bringing in. I refuse to believe you have THAT hard of a time trying to make it in California, or even NYC, on such a high salary.

Sorry, mods. I know I'm not supposed to personally attack people, but this kind of stuff gets on my nerves.
I'm gonna guess you read the first post and then responded without reading any more ... you might want to consider reading more carefully and further into the thread in the future. If you DO go back and read more that the OP in particular had to say, you'll find that this OP wasn't complaining or whining a bit ... he's not even moved to California yet ... he comes from a real everyday background, doesn't live high on the hog, doesn't have high-falutin' expectations ... seems like a real regular Joe who worked hard to get through medical school and put in his time for his communities along the way. He's just asking some questions is all.

Just sayin' ...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 PM

29 posts, read 127,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdreset View Post
Getting back to the original poster's question (God forbid)

Yes, in the better-rated school districts $600k is a middle-middle-class house in CA (read: not where you would expect an MD to live in other parts of the country.) So here is how they do it out here:

(1) The Old Timers: Lots of people bought houses before the bubble - they are doubly fine (low price house, Prop 13 low taxes.)
(2) The Wealthy: All that real estate money went somewhere during the boom. A one-time $300k windfall makes a $600k house a lot more affordable.
(3) The High Earners: In the high-cost areas, there is a combination of dual income professional couples, stock-option and bonus money, and low interest rate loans floating around to keep prices high relative to other parts of the country, even today. But one earner losing a job usually puts them in Category 4 below.
(4) The Pretenders: People who spend every cent they make (and more) to finance their aspirational "dream house". This category is slowly being foreclosed upon.

In my little corner of affluent San Diego, I see a lot of each type.

I make decent money and support a family on one income. We choose to rent in a good school district.
Thanks for answering the question directly. It gives me some perspective. I am not sure how these four categories break down numbers wise but I am guessing group 4 probably makes up a decent chunk of californians. Exactly what I hope to avoid, being a pretender and living above my means. I will eventually be in group 3 so no need to worry, as everyone here has graciously pointed out. So long as I keep it real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California